Thread: LG 840G problem with public Wayport wi-fi

Feedback Score

LG 840G problem with public Wayport wi-fi

Hi,

My 840G tracfone is having problems connecting to Wayport wi-fi, such as at
    McDonalds.

The problem is NOT wi-fi itself, that connects fine. The problem is that the
    built-in browser tries to load the red Wayport login page that loads anytime you
    first connect to a McDonald's wi-fi, and the built-in browser throws up an error
    message -- something to the effect of "page too large, load mobile version --
    then the browser spontaneously quits.

Anyone have this experience, or know of a solution?

I have tried:
    1) all Wayport hotspots seem to have 2 logins -- "attwifi" and "Wayport",
    neither will load the login screen.

2) I tried various browser settings regarding loading or not loading images,
    javascript or not, encoding schemes, etc. None help.

3) Tried using a different browser -- Opera and UC -- and it appears that those
    browsers either cannot access wifi unless the default browser has logged in,
    because neither browser will load ANYTHING unless the default browser has
    logged-in.

4) If my timing is perfect, I can occasionally log-in by quickly stopping the
    page load, enlarging the page, clicking the "agree to terms" box, then I can
    access the network. But unless the timing is perfect, this fails and quickly
    becomes a game of whack-a-mole, maybe requiring 20 attempts before you hit
    jackpot.

Help is appreciated.

Also, does anyone know if you can force a system update on the phone? Maybe the
    software has known bugs and I am not receiving the bug patches yet. I actually
    haven't made a phone call yet, I mainly got it for web surfing and for emergency
    phone needs.

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Neither opera nor UC will redirect to the login page. It has to do with the way those browsers access the internet through a hard coded proxy.

The browser doesn't crash on my S390G, so I can login after the page too big message.

Feedback Score
    I believe it is a variable signal strength issue, and mostly confined to Wayport connections. Have made tests at a McDonalds with my LG840G and a laptop. The phone will only list a portion of the available networks in a given location compared to the laptop, so you know the receiving capability is weak.

Saw something from a McDonalds employee that each store has an allotment of bandwidth, part which is used by the store for business purposes. What is allocated to the dining room depends on that business load. That would explain the variable connection ability. Half the time I can connect the phone without problem, and half not at all like you have seen. Once connected the signal is quite strong. I walked about 200' away from the store before it dropped out. Have not seen that being inside makes connection easier - it works or it doesn't.

Have not been able to connect at the local Starbucks, but have not tried inside. Can always connect at Kmart, Staples, Burger King, libraries. However some locations will not have full signal strength necessary for something like YouTube.

Carrier
    Ting - R+ - Lyca - PPC
    Feedback Score
    I just wish more 840G owners would chime in here or on the thread I started on whether they are actually having an issue/problem.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pfoneguy View Post
    I just wish more 840G owners would chime in here or on the thread I started on whether they are actually having an issue/problem.
    I just got an 840G and am having the same problem. I tried to connect at a Target store and the login page loaded fine but the default browser refused to let me check the "accept terms and conditions" checkbox. I've found that sometimes zooming way in on a button or checkbox will get around this problem but not in this case.
    I don't suppose TracFone ever updates firmware, do they?

Feedback Score
    Sounds like the login screen at McDonalds. I always have to zoom way in to check the tiny accept box, and it is still not easy. It's then hard to move over to hit the larger Connect button. If I don't get booted off for the "screen too large" error it will always work there. McDonalds, and Starbucks, and now Home Depot use AT&T Wayport, but have no idea about the other places that seem to work better with the LG840G. The "Terms and Conditions" screen at Starbucks does not allow me to check the accept box same as you mentioned at Target. Next time in a place that has a Target and Home Depot I will try them.

Tracfone does not change anything on a phone model. You will see new models being offered that might be more Wi-Fi capable. Reason for this is AT&T will be closing down 2G service by end of 2016, which will make existing Tracfones not work. Everybody having a GSM model (except LG840G) will have to change to a 3G phone. This will not be a technical problem for Tracfone, as there are lots of 3G feature phone models they can use. AT&T will be weaning their customers (estimated to be 10%) off 2G only phones by offering free or discounted 3G phones. Tracfone people will have to buy them, and the price will be higher than has been usual on the low end.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Reason for this is AT&T will be closing down 2G service by end of 2016, which will make existing Tracfones not work.
    I doubt that's entirely true. Too many areas that don't have 3G capabilities yet.
    May happen in larger cities, but rural areas will be 2G for quite some time.
    I suspect towers will fall back to 2G for quite a while as well.

Everybody having a GSM model (except LG840G) will have to change to a 3G phone.
    The LG840G is not the only 3G phone Tracfone offers, it wasn't even the first.
    There were two Samsung 3G phones a year ago, Apr 2012 (the S390G and the S425G)

Feedback Score
    You are right about the lack of 3G in some remote areas. Hard to know, as AT&T does not show 2G only service in the coverage maps. I live in a semi-rural hilly area that does have 3G, but can't tell if it drops back to 2G in the weak areas. Phone always indicates 3G unless the signal completely drops out. AT&T wants the bandwidth after the loss after the failed deal with T-Mobile. They were nasty with customers to change after the Cingular merger, but that was a major hardware issue. 2G to 3G does require hardware upgrades, so they might try that again. If so, the FCC may have to intervene.

Everything I can find about those Samsung models shows them to be only GSM Edge. No mention of 3G in the specs, and the "E" shows on the main screen picture in the tutorials. The LG840G lists 3G in the specs.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Everything I can find about those Samsung models shows them to be only GSM Edge. No mention of 3G in the specs, and the "E" shows on the main screen picture in the tutorials. The LG840G lists 3G in the specs.
    The Samsung spec page for the S390G shows itr to be HSPDA on UTMS bands 850/1900/2100MHz (AT&T and T-Mobile 3G bands)
    http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SGH-S390CSATFN-specs

The phone shows 3G next to the signal meter and the speed is definitely faster than my EDGE phones.
    Not sure why TF didn't include 3G in the marketing/packaging/tutrorials, but it definitely is and was mentioned here early after release last spring.

Similarly they show HSPDA for the S425G too. The frequency list may have a typo, as the 2100MHz band is missing.
    http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cel...25ZGATFN-specs

Feedback Score
    Very informative! Tracfone should list these things in their specs...3G is an important feature that should be promoted. Specs like Samsung provides are not available from LG for Tracfones. LG does not list those except under the generic model numbers, and these often vary in features from the Tracfone versions. Much less information - nothing about frequency and data type.

Yes, 3G is a lot faster than EDGE...makes Mobile Web (WAP) actually usable for not that much cost in airtime minutes on an LG840G. My Verizon friends with feature phones get hit with a data charge if they use something like this.

Carrier
    Airvoice Wireless/Tracfone/T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Me and my dad are currently using Airvoice wireless with 2 locked AT&T phones. I made sure when I bought them both were 3G capable. They are the samsung A157 and the ZTE Z221. On the top of the screen we both see little '3G' icons. I'm sure tracfone will start putting out some more basic flip phones with 3G on them. It's the older ones you have to worry about (pre-LG500G era). Most of those are 2G/edge only. Although I thought I heard someone say they had a 3G icon on their LG500G. Not sure though.