Thread: How do you change an IMEI of a blacklisted T-Mobile phone?

Feedback Score

How do you change an IMEI of a blacklisted T-Mobile phone?

I've been reading that T-Mobile has this bad habit of blacklisting IMEI of phones for questionable reasons, e.g. fraudulently reported as lost, original contract owner not paying up, etc... The problem with IMEI blacklisting is that it's retroactive. Sprint/Verizon do block ESN numbers, but it's not retroactive, meaning that if you load a clean ESN phone on Sprint/Verizon should the ESN get blacklisted 3 months later, you do not get kicked off. The retroactive nature of T-Mobile IMEI blacklisting means that there is no protection for us used cellphone buyers. Even eBay/Paypal Protection ends after 60-days, so if I was a bastaard, I would sell my T-Mobile phone and report it lost for insurance fraud 3 mth down the line.

I am not interested in engaging in a philosophical/moral/legal debate on what is right and wrong, but I am looking for a technical solution to the problem, which as far as I can tell is to change the IMEI of the phone, or an IMEI transplant, or something like that. Haven't come across that so far, as most of the advice I've seen is "sucks to be you" or "you're so stupid to get scammed" or "use AT&T". These are NOT helpful, so I'm hoping that we can start a helpful discussion here. I don't believe that it's impossible (yes... it's the most common answer from google), but even ESN numbers can be changed using QPST, and as far as I can tell IMEI is still a software-related issue so it can be modified with the proper know-how.

I know this a grey area, and a lot of uninformed people may be under the impression it is illegal. But until I see legal advice from a trained lawyer, I am inclined to believe it is not. It's similar to how many forums do not discuss about changing ESN numbers, when ESN swapping is perfectly legal.

If these kind of content is frowned upon, maybe those parties with knowledge can PM me some pointers (a link to another forum, etc...)

EDIT: Of course, I am open to any suggestions on how buyers can safely purchase clean T-Mobile phones, but none of the advice I've seen so far will work, since T-Mobile blacklisting is retroactive.
    Last edited by AndroAsc; 12-27-2012 at 07:03 PM.

Carriers
    At&t
    Feedback Score

Re: How do you change an IMEI of a blacklisted T-Mobile phone?

IMEI tampering is illegal and cannot be discussed on this forum.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    At&t SGS III Belton/Nolanville, TX

Carriers
    ·T···Mobile·
    Feedback Score
    I thought imei changing was Illegal here in the states. Either way, i expect this thread locked in 3..2..1.. (hofo doesn't tolerate this any.)

Just use the google. LOL

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nucleartx View Post
    IMEI tampering is illegal and cannot be discussed on this forum.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    Care to quote the exact law to back this claim? If not, it's BS like "ESN change is illegal"

Carriers
    ·T···Mobile·
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndroAsc View Post
    Care to quote the exact law to back this claim? If not, it's BS like "ESN change is illegal"
    That in all honesty is irreverent as HoFo's policy is to NOT discuss that topic here. It's been forbidden since i started coming here.

Feedback Score
    If that's true then even the great HowardForums has its limits... this kind of retroactive IMEI blacklisting will only get worse once the national IMEI blacklisting things launches in full force.

Phones
    6682, 6030, 6061
    6230b, v635, 3120b, 3650
    3100b, v3, v620, v400, x426, cf62t, t226, 3590, 3595, 6010, v66, v2282
    Carriers
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    assuming we're talking about android devices, you'll have to resort to google. imei can be changed, sometimes without additional tools.

ibtl
    V 4.62.0
    28-10-05
    RM-58
    Nokia 6682

Carriers
    ·T···Mobile·
    Feedback Score
    If that's true then even the great HowardForums has its limits... this kind of retroactive IMEI blacklisting will only get worse once the national IMEI blacklisting things launches in full force.
    That type of talk is why we go to XDA instead. Kinda has always been the case.

Phones
    6682, 6030, 6061
    6230b, v635, 3120b, 3650
    3100b, v3, v620, v400, x426, cf62t, t226, 3590, 3595, 6010, v66, v2282
    Carriers
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    actually there were a few good threads on imei changing for certain phones on xda. all gone now.

Los Angeles - San Diego, CA / St. Albans, VT
    Phones
    RIM BlackBerry Q10
    Apple iPhone 5S
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carriers
    Pacific Bell Wireless / T-Mobile USA / MetroPCS
    Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    EDIT: Of course, I am open to any suggestions on how buyers can safely purchase clean T-Mobile phones, but none of the advice I've seen so far will work, since T-Mobile blacklisting is retroactive.
    This is actually a better idea than discussing an issue that Hofo doesn't allow discussion on.
    Let's keep it like this or else this thread gets locked.

Thank you for editing the post to include this.

Phones
    Note2/Oppo7a
    Galaxy Express
    Note 2
    Carriers
    GoPhone $35
    Feedback Score
    Changing an imei or esn depends on the phone. Some are easier then others and some are not possible. I have changed many a esn over the years but have only done a few imei. You are much better off Googling then asking the question here. GSMHosting forums has many threads about it but many of them are using a box of some sort or paid software. Good luck.