Thread: Is mobilicity phone unlocked from purchase?

Feedback Score

Is mobilicity phone unlocked from purchase?

Can I just buy a phone from mobility and use it with a Wind 29 dollar plan?

Phones
    Galaxy Note 2
    Galaxy Note 2
    Nexus One
    Carriers
    1-800-bloodbath-mobility
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score

Re: Is mobilicity phone unlocked from purchase?

No. Except a very select few

Sent from my SGH-I317M using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    I really don't get it. Is Wind's hardware pricing that uncompetitive that Mobilicity is the unofficial hardware supplier to Wind? For all the trouble, why would a SIM lock be of any hindrance or concern?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by will888 View Post
    Is Wind's hardware pricing that uncompetitive that Mobilicity is the unofficial hardware supplier to Wind?
    Yes, the hardware pricing at Wind really is that uncompetitive. They have priced phones, in some cases, as much as double that the current price of Mobilicity. For outright purchases, this helps pay for phones that given to customers for "free" over 3 years. For Wind's sale of phones on 3 year contract, the ridiculous prices clearly have a hidden cancellation fee built into the price. Wind is not the only cell phone company that does this. In my opinion, I wish that Wind would get back to advertising the real prices rather than play those types of pricing games that Canadians have come to despise. It is the very type of thing that they originally promised that they wouldn't do.

Feedback Score

Re: Is mobilicity phone unlocked from purchase?

@computergeek541, the point I was getting at is that is device unlocking if required is part of the cost of doing business, just like having to buy a Mobilicity plan for one month or more. If the potential savings is huge, what is another $10 for an unlock code.

Wind's tab system has got to be the most uncompetitive way of buying hardware. Even robellus uses straight line amortization on hardware for those needing to cancel early. Mobilicity has the best system of selling hardware. Unfortunately, it is subject to abuse because no other carrier is playing ball the same way. Hopefully Google will expand their hardware sales a lot more and lead the way for others. Mobilicity is way too small to carry the torch.

Sent from my Nexus S using HowardForums

Carriers
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The complete list of currently unlocked Mobilicity phones is here:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showwiki...ilicity+phones

Anything that's not in the list is sold locked, and cannot be unlocked by Mobilicity. Only third parties can unlock them, often at prices exceeding Wind's $10 unlocking fee. Nevertheless, i suggest customers to get an unlocked phone from either provider, then find out for themselves which carrier is best.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by flomar View Post
    NO, Htc amaze was locked when bought, i tried with rogers sim and was locked, used same rogers sim and unlock code from ebay and voila my amaze is unlocked.
    You are correct. Unaltered/unmodified out of the box from Mobilicity, the HTC Amaze was locked, although it is entirely possible that small batches may have slipped through as unlocked (as is sometimes typical for Rogers phones when they are first released) or were unlocked by the retailer before sale.