Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Apps for Tracfone LG840?

Feedback Score

Apps for Tracfone LG840?

I am looking into some apps for the LG840g. Specifically a QR code reader. I went to getjar.com and the two different apps I have tried downloading won't load, it says internal server error. Any ideas what might be causing that? And because I just have to be difficult, I had one downloaded before but it wouldn't go past the welcome screen. So I deleted it and now can't download any others. I manage to find the most interesting challenges, don't I?
    If you think it makes any difference, I am using the built in browser on wi-fi.

TIA for any suggestions!

Danna

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Historically TF has locked the phones down such that apps cannot access the camera which means the QR Readers not work. Most TF phones won't even let apps access the filesystem so you can't even load a picture you take with the camera.

There was a email service that you could send a picture too and get the decoded results sent back, but that service was no longer working when I last tried it.

Feedback Score

The Tracfone LG840G runs a JAVA-based OS

Quote Originally Posted by demarskda View Post
    I am looking into some apps for the LG840g. Specifically a QR code reader. I went to getjar.com and the two different apps I have tried downloading won't load, it says internal server error. Any ideas what might be causing that? And because I just have to be difficult, I had one downloaded before but it wouldn't go past the welcome screen. So I deleted it and now can't download any others. I manage to find the most interesting challenges, don't I?
    If you think it makes any difference, I am using the built in browser on wi-fi.

TIA for any suggestions!

Danna
    Greetings & Salutations Danna,

There is an LG840G reviewer on Amazon (webmania) who's a tech-head & he gives a couple of pointers regarding "apps." Also, there is a link in the comments section to the JAVA version of Google maps.

I have installed it & it works fine using my home Wi-Fi. I have also installed the Opera Mini & UC web browsers & they all work fine as well. I cannot recall for the life of me what the name(s) is/are of the LG840Gs brothers or sisters. You'll see that ugly navigation button that eats up half the screen appear on all three programs, but it is not the "app" that is doing that, it's the phone not recognizing the JAVA script used to write them. The tech-head reviewer gives you the Kung Fu to resolve that in his review. Also, the same phone is often sold under a different name in other countries for a number of reasons.... if you do some research, you'll find the name & then you can d/l some JAVA programs & they will more than likely work on the 840G. (Just make sure they are "signed" JAVA certificates)

Apple, Google, Microsoft, & a couple of other companies run proprietary operating systems on various electronic devices. What does that mean? They all speak a different language & have teams of people writing software/applications that run on them. One operating system cannot run on all of them by design, because if they did, where would be the incentive to purchase a particular phone or OS over the next? It's a business practice that allows them to be viable & competitive, so it's necessary to some extent. Sometime in the very near future paying to communicate with one another is all going to go away, but for now we are all helping to create the infrastructure necessary to do so.

Tracfone's LG840G runs JAVA scripts - so a number of JAVA-based "apps" can theoretically run, but it's all trial-and-error. I'm new to this phone, but not Tracfone, so to some extent we are all learning together. I've been wrangling with this phone for a couple of days now & it takes a little doing, but this thing will do pretty much everything you want since it's got a Wi-Fi card & e-mail capabilities. That is not to say the phone is without its shortcomings, but honestly? For a $50 no contract touchscreen phone you're getting an absolute steal no matter which way you look at it!

Please post what you find in your travels & I'll do the same. This phone can be very productive if we all chip in with our findings....

Excelsior!

Feedback Score
    I can do links, so I think this is the right one:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3NRMJ3X4X3KZX

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aquarius rising View Post
    but it is not the "app" that is doing that, it's the phone not recognizing the JAVA script used to write them.
    It has nothing to do with javascript (that a web browser than and not the same as JAVA).

The issue is the JAD (which describes the app you are installing) need to tell the phone to turn off the unneeded stuff. (The app has no way to know on it's own what a given phone does/doesn't need, that's why the JAD is used)

Tracfone's LG840G runs JAVA scripts - so a number of JAVA-based "apps" can theoretically run
    No, the LG840G runs JAVA apps. Compiled programs written in the JAVA language they executes in the JAVA Runtime Environment.

Scripts, including Javascript, are very different animals, a big difference being that they are interpreted at runtime, not compiled (not even to JAVA byte code).

Do a little more research on JAVA and javascript

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JavaScript
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_%2...ng_language%29

Feedback Score
    I installed UpCodeJava Version 3.09.0 on my LG840G. I found on JavaMobiles.net It does work, but not very well on the small QR codes. I think the camera quality is the problem, seems to work better in day light.

Feedback Score
    I can't post links yet. Google search for: 840G QR code reader Turk 1203

It's the zetaboard link near the top of the Google returns. Look at posts 1203 and 1205 on that thread. It'll give you a short link to LG GT505 Java app for NeoReader, which works for the LG 840G.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cavecricket View Post
    I can't post links yet. Google search for: 840G QR code reader Turk 1203 It's the zetaboard link near the top of the Google returns. Look at posts 1203 and 1205 on that thread. It'll give you a short link to LG GT505 Java app for NeoReader, which works for the LG 840G.
    Hi cavecricket. I see by your userid info that you are new to HoFo. Here's a suggestion -- use the HoFo Search function before posting. It will prevent posting redundant info.

The answer to the QR code reader was answered right here in this forum and here is the HoFo link

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...0-App-Question

I wish the moderator would be more attentive and provide more guidance and encouragement regarding the use of the search function, especially to newcomers like yourself. It would help us all.

Feedback Score
    It's the same offsite link. I wrote the zetaboard post.

Feedback Score

QR code readers

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke_2.0 View Post
    I installed UpCodeJava Version 3.09.0 on my LG840G. I found on JavaMobiles.net It does work, but not very well on the small QR codes. I think the camera quality is the problem, seems to work better in day light.
    Tried UpCodeJava...............I agree with you, it has trouble reading almost everything small. Ended up
    with NeoQR Code reader. It works on medium and large QR's but not small. I think you're right about it being the
    camera....it does not have good macro features.

Feedback Score
    Hello,

I just bought my LG840G phone and am trying to received texts from AIM. I already enabled it to receive the AIM texts, but I do not seem to get the texts. Is there anything else I need to do?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rdsimonjr View Post
    Hello, I just bought my LG840G phone and am trying to received texts from AIM. I already enabled it to receive the AIM texts, but I do not seem to get the texts. Is there anything else I need to do?
    Hi rdsimonjr. This is just a suggestion. I wouldn't bury your question about AIM texts here in a thread about apps and QR readers. It won't get much attention here. I would start a new thread and title it

LG 840 trouble receiving texts from AIM. HELP?

And by the way, is it just receiving? What about sending?

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Does anyone have a modified jar file for facebook? I hate the facebook app that the phone comes with, I have yet to find the appropriate jar for the phone to download...

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 01rs25subaru View Post
    Does anyone have a modified jar file for facebook? I hate the facebook app that the phone comes with, I have yet to find the appropriate jar for the phone to download...

What about using the app Facebook offers when you visit the fb web site with a mobile browser?

That's the one I use on my S390G.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I was able to finally find the jar file to modify it, and now I have Facebook mobile app 3.2.1, it works well but it is not signed so when you upload any photos, it will have the unsigned app warning...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast