Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Q1/Q2 Phones

Phones
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Moto Droid as an accessory
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Re: Q1/Q2 Phones

Quote Originally Posted by valkar View Post
    Verizon is different. It can afford to bribe Nokia into making a CDMA device or two
    You have it backwards and M$ is the payer.

Redwood Valley, Northwestern California (Previous-Pocatello, Idaho(90-97)/Southern California(71-90)
    Phone
    HTC One M8/Samsung Galaxy Note 3/Nokia Lumia 521
    Carrier
    AT&T/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Nokia just cut a deal with Mobitel in Slovenia. Slovenia has a population of about 2 million (yes I Googled that). Point is, if Nokia can work with a carrier in a country of about 2 million what's the challenge to make it happen with USC....CDMA or not...just sayin...
    Where ever you go, there you are.

Carrier
    U.S. Cellular
    Feedback Score

How much a carrier like uscc can spend on a high end device. Nokia can give better deals with gsm phones that will sell a ton of units over a variety of carriers. CDMA is exclusively Verizon and they have an exclusive deal so USCC would probably need to buy a minimum of several hundred thousand units on a CDMA high end device so if USCC doesn't think they'll sell it would make far more sense to buy a cheaper phone with lower costs and far lower risk.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    I don't know that much about how a cell phone is made, but its not much different than a computer I suppose; memory, display, frame, motherboard... As far as component costs go I would imagine the display and memory are a significant percentage of the cost. The radio, which most likely defines GSM or CDMA, has got to be a small percentage of the total component cost. If the manufacturer already has a CDMA radio it can't be that much design/technology to modify the radio to the USC frequency. It just seems USC is always way behind the curve in bringing a phone to market. USC is small and doesn't have the purchasing power of someone like big red, I get it, but the communication as to what they are doing really hurts them for all of us who are geeks enough to know what is going on. Its like this big secret as to when a new phone is coming out. Heck, when the HTC WP7 came out the USC stores in my area were telling me the day before they had the phone that they didn't know when they were getting them. REALLY, well shame on management for not taking the time to tell them I guess... I think all of us would be much more understanding if USC would simply say "here's our plan in the next 3 to 6 months", then if something changes give us an update. Doesn't have to be daily or weekly thing, just once a month or so, if something changes, give us a quick "here's what happened and here's the new date". They got a web site, how about a "what's going on page...". I think USC is a great company and I hope they are around for a long time. I just wish they could understand that a lot of their customers like to plan their next cell phone purchase and communication as to upcoming cell phones helps us do that.

Carrier
    U.S. Cellular
    Feedback Score

USCC has a unique LTE quad Band CDMA radio which is pretty expensive on the surface of things. Their retail price for LTE devices are all at least $100 higher than non LTE devices with comparable specs.

Further its likely the order requirments that make uscc hesitate to jump on Windows high end phones because nokia or HTC will require an order minimum probably of several hundred thousand phones and if it flops it could be a financial disaster for uscc.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using HowardForums

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3