Thread: Talkatone alternative to use GV on iPhone 3G?

Phones
    Nokia 3650
    MDA
    Dash
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Talkatone alternative to use GV on iPhone 3G?

Hi,

Tried to download Talkatone on our old iPhone 3G but it would not download, said that iOS 4.3 or higher was required. The latest iOS for the 3G is 4.2, so it looks like no Talkatone on this phone. Is there any alternative that, like Talkatone, allows free calls to be made via GV?

Thanks,
    b

Phone
    Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    You might be able to find a SIP client, but SIP isn't directly supported by Google Voice so you'd need to read about how to use SIP with Google Voice. It's a more complicated setup to configure, but it works.

That would only be for calls. For voicemail and texting, go to the Google Voice mobile site and tell Safari to bookmark it to the homescreen.

Someone else may know a better alternative, but that's what I can think of. You should try searching the app store for Google Voice to see what comes up.
    Last edited by Slinkwyde; 12-31-2012 at 09:29 PM.

Phones
    Nokia 3650
    MDA
    Dash
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply, good idea, I tried looking for an SIP app, looks like most of them require 4.3 or higher. What would be a good choice for 4.2?

The real shame is that earlier Talkatone versions worked on 4.2 but are no longer available at the App Store. Is there any way to get the older version? My phone is jailbroken.

Feedback Score
    Have a look at Grooveip not sure what they require

Phone
    Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score

Talkatone alternative to use GV on iPhone 3G?

Quote Originally Posted by billdz View Post
    Thanks for the reply, good idea, I tried looking for an SIP app, looks like most of them require 4.3 or higher. What would be a good choice for 4.2?
    No idea, but "softphone" is another search term to try when looking for SIP clients. If the iOS app store on the computer lets you sort search results by release date, try looking at the older apps.

The real shame is that earlier Talkatone versions worked on 4.2 but are no longer available at the App Store. Is there any way to get the older version? My phone is jailbroken.
    Cydia is another place to look for SIP clients.

Quote Originally Posted by shuswap View Post
    Have a look at Grooveip not sure what they require
    GrooVe IP is exclusive to Android.

Phones
    Nokia 3650
    MDA
    Dash
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    OK folks, I got it working. I got a SIP phone number from Callcentric. I found a free SIP client app that works with the 4.2, it is called Zoiper. I configured Zoiper to work with my Callcentric number (make sure to disable every codecs except u-law). Then I configured GV to forward calls to my Callcentric number. It works fine.

Thanks,
    b
    Last edited by billdz; 01-01-2013 at 10:11 PM.

Phones
    Nokia 3650
    MDA
    Dash
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    3CX Phone also works on iOS 4.2 with GV, but it seems this app will not run in the background on an iPhone 3. Zoiper does run in the background if this feature is checked. However, if you want to use this system for incoming calls, you would have to remember to start the app every time you reboot. Or is there some way to make it start automatically on startup?

Phone
    Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Did the iPhone 3G support Apple's implementation of pseudo-multitasking? I don't think it did, but I don't know for sure. If it doesn't, the only way to multitask would be to add jailbreak-style multitasking. There might be a tweak in Cydia to launch an individual app on startup.

Don't expect great performance on such an old phone. If cost is the concern, you might want to think about saving for a used or refurbished midrange Android phone from 2010 or 2011, off-contract. You can find them for $100 or less. If you do that, look for something that runs at least ICS (Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich") because that version was a significant improvement. Or maybe an iPhone 4, but that's probably more expensive and is unlikely to get iOS 7.
    Last edited by Slinkwyde; 01-02-2013 at 12:21 AM.

Phones
    Nokia 3650
    MDA
    Dash
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, research indicates it is possible via Cydia, but perhaps above my level of technical skill.

Yes, it is certainly not the latest phone, my wife and I have newer models, these are just hand me downs for the kids, I wanted them to have a method of making free calls.

Phones
    Nokia 3650
    MDA
    Dash
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Discovered too late a much easier way to accomplish this, no SIP needed. With a jailbroken iPhone 3G, just download an old version of Talkatone, for example version 1.2.3 from
    http://filetrip.net/dl?PgWA1pzCEi
    Then install the app with iFunbox.

Phones
    Nokia 3650
    MDA
    Dash
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    With an iPhone 5 you can just download the latest version of Talkatone from the App Store, it is free and it works great. Call anywhere in USA and Canada for free without using your cell phone minutes.