Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does Tracfone have a true android phone?

Phones
    a670
    e815
    Feedback Score

Does Tracfone have a true android phone?

I want to say Tracfone does now have a android phone. I did get my Kid a Tracfone some time ago and would love to be able to get her one that has android and google play store.

Any one know of a android phone that works with Tracfone. That way when home she can use wifi and download games.

Thanks
    Mike

Feedback Score
    No androids yet. But I suspect that if Tracfone gets one, it will be severely limited, because of Tracfone's fraud concerns.

Phone
    Nexus 4 16GB
    Carrier
    Net10 (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    You're probably best going with Net10 or Straight Talk (or another provider entirely) if you want an Android phone. They use a lot of data, even away from wi-fi.
    Internet at work and with a Nexus 4 on Straight Talk with AT&T.

Carriers
    PagePlus
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You can get a NET10 SIM card for an Android GSM phone from AT&T or T-Mobile. Straight Talk has Android phones starting at $80.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by mike12 View Post
    I want to say Tracfone does now have a android phone. I did get my Kid a Tracfone some time ago and would love to be able to get her one that has android and google play store.

Any one know of a android phone that works with Tracfone. That way when home she can use wifi and download games.

Thanks
    Mike
    I have been waiting for a long time for tracfone to get a android. Search after search for it shows many Tracfone androids, however they are Straighttalk or Net10 phones. Because Straighttalk and Net 10 are both TF based services any search for TF android pulls up all their services and calls all of them tracfone androids.
    I suspect TF will someday get one but it will still be years down the road.
    I don't see why it would be so hard to do one, they lock in or out everything else on all their other phones, it is just one more phone for them to throw their master lock on, try messing with a current tracfone you about destroy it, changes don't work, same with their ST phones, they have them locked down tight as a drum, I suspect Net10 phones are the same way. If they wanted they could do it to a Tracfone Android and make it just as impossible to crack. And even if it was a very entry level android like the LG Optimus logic they would still sell a ton of them.
    Still, it won't happen if at all for another 5 or better years. They didn't think ST androids would sell and the almost cant keep them on the shelves, you would think someone would realize it is going to be the same way for Tracfone.

ST to IPhone http://goo.gl/bYd8e
    ST to Android http://goo.gl/Xael3
    ST to Windows Phone http://goo.gl/MMuZH
    Tracfone CS at 800-876-5753 or 800-626-4883
    Phone Number for Google Customer Service. 18558363987

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndroidFoneFan View Post
    I don't see why it would be so hard to do one, they lock in or out everything else on all their other phones, If they wanted they could do it to a Tracfone Android and make it just as impossible to crack.
    Doubt that. Ask any of the providers that have tried to lock down their android and iOS devices. They were/are all hacked relatively quickly. The android user base is too big and sophisticated for TF to ever hope of keeping up with.

That's why the ST and NET10 androids are unlimited plan only. They can't lock down the OS to ensure the minute counting software isn't bypassed. The proprietary OS on the phones TF does offer (and the per-minute phones from NET10 and ST) can be much more tightly controlled, and a much smaller group interested in hacking them.

The only way for them to do it would be an unlimited plan, or major changes to their infrastructure (to track usage on their end instead of the individual phones).

Feedback Score

While it would be more difficult and probably not worth the effort, they could do a combo set up on the phone. The operating OS could be android but the time controlling factors could be done through a proprietary bios type set up.
    Time tracking is controlled by a tight proprietary program, and the android OS runs on top of it for the user.
    It would be a bit more for Tracfone to go through where programming is concerned but it could be done, and they wouldn't be the first ones to do something like that if they did.
    You might normally see something like this done on a server set up where security is controlled by a heavily locked down Linux or unix underlay and the user performs their tasks with windows.
    As I said, probably more than TF would go through but it is a one time write for the programming per phone model or phones if the work could be passed on by comparable hardware configurations, and they would sell lots of them me thinks if they did a proper job of it.

Phone
    LG 840g.
    Carrier
    Safelink
    Feedback Score
    Hate to bump this old thread, but I found a link that may wet people's appetites for an android phone on Tracfone service, from @evleaks.

TracFone set to launch four new Android phones by LG
    Tracfone adding four entry-level LG Androids
    Last edited by underlord2; 04-23-2013 at 12:02 AM. Reason: added extra details

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    More than likely going to ST and/or NET10 on an unlimited plan.

I'd love to be wrong though

Feedback Score
    I saw a news item recently (of course I can't find it now) suggesting that there is actually a plan to make Android phones available through Safelink. If this were to happen, we would have Android on TracFone. I don't want to even think about the political implications.
    After years of using an LG flip phone, I just got an LG 840G which is really a feature phone with some Android-esqe features. It's a big improvement over the flip phone.

Phone
    LG 840g.
    Carrier
    Safelink
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daikyozin View Post
    I saw a news item recently (of course I can't find it now) suggesting that there is actually a plan to make Android phones available through Safelink. If this were to happen, we would have Android on TracFone. I don't want to even think about the political implications.
    After years of using an LG flip phone, I just got an LG 840G which is really a feature phone with some Android-esqe features. It's a big improvement over the flip phone.
    I vaguely remember that story, but I thought they would charge a small monthly fee for the internet part (the 3g wasn't free). I could be remembering the story badly though.

Phones
    SAM T404g
    MOT W490,Nokia 6030
    SE TM506,LG VX5600
    Carrier
    T-MO/TRAC/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daikyozin View Post

Link to Washington Times article on this.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...bles/?page=all

Phone
    LG 840g.
    Carrier
    Safelink
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by timdennis View Post
    Link to Washington Times article on this.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...bles/?page=all
    Wow, I'll never read a Washington Times comment section again.. Full of trolls on both sides making the democrats AND republicans look bad. So much ignorance!

Anyone find a more neutral news source for this?

Feedback Score
    This thread might be old, but the news are new the answer ( I was not allowed to post a link so go to Tracfone wireless in facebook to see the info)
    yes very soon they will have 4 androids available. No it will not be limited, but it will be costly because Tracfone, Net Ten also Straight Talk are the same companies or allieds so the phone my best bet will be like unlimited around $40.00 to $65.00 like all the other sister companies. So it will be like any other pre paid android. Still if it offers something like now that it will be very limited or very expensive an android with the same prices like their regular cellulars with triple minutes that will not be the case I'm sur
    Last edited by magdav; 07-01-2013 at 12:53 AM. Reason: grammar errors

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    I see a comment on a post (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...levant_count=1)

that links to http://androidcommunity.com/tracfone...y-lg-20130419/
    (which is a repost of this tweet https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/325293677889077248 about this http://9to5google.com/2013/04/19/tra...od+and+Evil%29 )

The original post looks to be from mid April, and 2.5 months later still nothing.

Then a comment form TF saying "Sue Brady Yes. It would still be pay go. You can transfer your phone number, minutes, and service days to the new phone as long as your phone number is active. ^Janice"

But the first post wasn't from TF, and they are not know for being very accurate.

I still doubt they are actually going to TF. More likely NET10/ST.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast