Page 67 of 80 FirstFirst ... 17 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1192

Thread: Official Loyalty & Retention thread

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Ugh, so pissed at Telus right now. Customer for 18 years. I just called Loyalty to renew my contract and they said all they'll do is give me $5/month off their posted plans, take it or leave it. They refused to discuss customizing any package, such as keeping 10 Favorites which works great for the declining amount of voice calls I make. (Just need 300 local minutes with faves, 3 GB data and not much else and was willing to go to $70 to get it.)

So, no more contract commitment from me. I'll probably leave, but for now, if I continue month-to-month with my existing $55 plan and bring my own new device, could I get the BYOD discount, and what % would it be?

Of course I'll call them back to ask, when I've cooled off enough to stay friendly, but wanted to see if anyone has advice. Thanks.
    Last edited by Curare; 11-01-2015 at 01:28 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Curare View Post
    Ugh, so pissed at Telus right now. Customer for 18 years. I just called Loyalty to renew my contract and they said all they'll do is give me $5/month off their posted plans, take it or leave it. They refused to discuss customizing any package, such as keeping 10 Favorites which works great for the declining amount of voice calls I make. (Just need 300 local minutes with faves, 3 GB data and not much else and was willing to go to $70 to get it.)

So, no more contract commitment from me. I'll probably leave, but for now, if I continue month-to-month with my existing $55 plan and bring my own new device, could I get the BYOD discount, and what % would it be?

Of course I'll call them back to ask, when I've cooled off enough to stay friendly, but wanted to see if anyone has advice. Thanks.
    If you have a good plan, keep it MTM and ask for BYOD discount. The discount can be 10% of your plan or $10 off. Data will not get cheaper so even if you don't use all of your data it's better to keep it in case your data usage increases in the future.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Wind on HMP2010
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Curare View Post

Telcos play a game of "chicken" based upon them wanting as much of your money as you'll give them, and you wanting to keep as much as possible. You need to compare the competition, their plans, their coverage and their prices and most importantly, you need to know what you need and want in a plan. Some questions to answer about your needs/wants for phone service.

Your info says you are in Toronto, but do you travel outside of Toronto a lot or a little?

Do you travel outside of the province/Canada a lot, a little or hardly ever?

Do you tether a computer or tablet to your phone a lot, only a little or not at all?

Is data speed important or not much?

Has your data usage been increasing, decreasing or remaining stable?

Which phone and OS are you using, do you want to stay with it or migrate to something else?

Do you keep your phone for a long time or do you switch it out every time a new one comes out?

What changes will be coming up in your life? Retirement, moving, downsizing, becoming single or a couple or a family, starting a business, selling/closing a business? All these things will affect what you need/want/desire for phone service.

Think of your entire plan with add-ons, not just the basic plan details. The cost of the little add-ons can be a lot. Look at what the total bill will be each month, rather than just the big ticket items of the plan.

Having been with one carrier for 18 years, have you looked at what the other carriers offer, for plans, coverage, and other features? You have four options in Toronto, plus sub-brands. Bell/Virgin, Rogers/Fido/Chatr/Mobilicity and Wind, plus of course Telus/Koodo/Public Mobile. They each offer alternatives, some of which may work better for you in a lot of the mentioned items.

With that, go in and learn. Unlock your phone if it has any value still, to use it with a new carrier, to use as a backup phone, to sell or keep it locked to Telus to give to someone else to use and let them unlock it.

Be prepared to move to another carrier unless you get what you want. Any carrier wants to keep its customers without losing too much revenue. Other carriers are willing to give a little now to get you and hopefully keep you as a customer.

If you leave, do you want to go on contract or on a month to month basis? Do you want the carrier to provide a new phone for you to use? Consider the cost to unlock plus higher monthly costs versus buying the phone outright to use as you wish.

Dunno if that helps or not. Good luck.
    -----
    Your choices are yours and I do not criticize you for them.
    My choices are mine, please do not criticize me for my choices.
    -----
    Any comments I make are made to further any conversation that is happening and should not be taken as an attack or belittlement of anyone, unless I specifically say so.
    -----
    I dislike all politicians and lawyers equally.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5 Active
    Carrier(s)
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I am still happy with Telus for over 15 years. I don't mind the $70 plans as I get to keep a lot of the extras I had before these two year plans. I also share 10GB of data between two phones.

I just called them as I have a good offer on an Apple 6s Plus 128GB , but they have none in stock. So they have extended my offer until they do have one in stock.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by windrider View Post
    I am still happy with Telus for over 15 years. I don't mind the $70 plans as I get to keep a lot of the extras I had before these two year plans. I also share 10GB of data between two phones.
    Glad to hear it. For me your post is proof of Telus' selective capriciousness. You're getting effectively 5 GB per phone for $70; I'd be happy with 3 GB for $70 (well, not "happy" but I could live with it in this pricing environment) but they won't budge. The plans that others are posting bear out the wild variation. Lots of folks with 6 GB.

I'll try retentions one last time but I've basically decided to buy my own device, go month to month on my existing, cheaper package for a short while and then leave them as soon as I can find a better package (Virgin Mobile, for one, has made a better offer).

The device subsidy these days is pretty much priced in and recouped by the carrier over the two years they have you. There's no real discount, you're just getting part of the cost spread over 24 months. So I might as well keep the freedom to move. Although the irony is, these days some people lock in for the 2-year term to protect the price against things only getting worse! I appreciate the replies, thanks all.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5 Active
    Carrier(s)
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Well I do have 4 phones and one Internet key with Telus so to me getting that extra data is nice of them. Basically my daughter used to have the student plan for $55 and they took that away when she got a new iPhone. So instead I pay more now but we get extra data shared between the two phones.

Feedback Score
    I've been a Telus customer since Clearnet days. I've had an out of province plan for a little over 3 years (plan went month-to-month in October). At the time I got my current plan I was up for renewal and asked retentions if they could give me the Manitoba $75 plan, which they did without any real discussion. The plan includes 200 anytime national minutes, 10 favourite numbers, 6 GB data and the other usual stuff. As the end of my 3-year commitment approached I called Telus to see what they could do for me (this would have been sometime last summer, after my device balance was zeroed out thanks to the regulator). They weren't really interested in doing much of anything - they would give me a new phone at a subsidized price but I would have to take an in-market plan, which meant I would end up paying over $100/month for a plan similar to what I have now. I figured I'd just keep my current plan and let it roll over to month to month. If I wanted a new phone I'd buy it myself.

Fast forward to early October and I get a call out of the blue from Telus offering me a new subsidized phone and a $100 credit if I sign up for 2 years. I figured they meant I'd have to sign up for a new in-market plan but I was assured that no, I could keep my current plan without any changes, get a new phone and get a $100 credit on my bill if I signed on for 2 years. I hopped on that in no time flat and purchased an iPhone 6s, 128 GB, which they gave to me for $535 off (plus I get a $100 credit on my next bill) and I still have my $75/month out of province plan!

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Storm
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I am MTM on an older plan I really like and want to keep, but I also want to upgrade from my current BB Q10.
    Would there be any issues with this if I purchased an iPhone 6s Plus No Term, and then just swapped the SIM card? They won't let me add it to a new 2 year contract keeping my current rate plan, but I'd be OK with no phone discount at all in order to keep it. Would this work?

Device(s)
    BlackBerry KeyONE, BlackBerry Classic
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Classic: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.2.2639 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Quote Originally Posted by madx519
    I am MTM on an older plan I really like and want to keep, but I also want to upgrade from my current BB Q10.
    Would there be any issues with this if I purchased an iPhone 6s Plus No Term, and then just swapped the SIM card? They won't let me add it to a new 2 year contract keeping my current rate plan, but I'd be OK with no phone discount at all in order to keep it. Would this work?
    No issues with that. I'm in the same boat and have been doing that for years. I typically buy phones from another source other than my cell service provider though.
    Last edited by DennyCrane; 11-06-2015 at 12:03 AM.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Storm
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Classic: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.2.2639 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

No issues with that. I'm in the same boat and have been doing that for years. I typically buy phones from another source other than my cell service provider though.
    Ah, ok that's great to hear. I remember a long time ago having to select which device you were changing to on My Telus, but that may have been back on CDMA. Wasn't sure if swapping SIM's would cause a prompt to come up similar to that. Glad there isn't!

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Wind on HMP2010
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by madx519 View Post
    Ah, ok that's great to hear. I remember a long time ago having to select which device you were changing to on My Telus, but that may have been back on CDMA. Wasn't sure if swapping SIM's would cause a prompt to come up similar to that. Glad there isn't!
    CDMA phones were registered by the telco. No transferability between carriers. Break your phone, go get another one from the carrier.

GSM-compatible phones use a SIM (SIM, microSIM or nanoSIM), so swap the SIM to a different phone and use it as needed. A larger SIM may need to be cut down to size, a smaller SIM may need a tray/carrier to support it in a larger SIM slot.

That is my understanding on it anyway.

Feedback Score
    I'm a long time Clearnet then Telus customer, probably 17 years. I buy my unlocked phones outright (Nexus ones), my current Telus plan is follows. I'm posting because Virgin has a similar package with more data at almost the same price, wondering what I'm missing or overlooking in switching.

Telus. Loyalty 30
    $55/month month to month, no contract. I asked Telus for a BYOP discount but I have to pay more than the minimum to get a discount and I'm at the minimum with $30 voice, $25 data. I check periodically with L&R but the only thing they can do is extend my current plan.
    200 minutes Nation wide
    50 local minutes bonus
    5PM early evenings
    1 GB data with $0.02/MB for overage
    Conference calling
    Caller ID
    The above are what I care about, the number I give out is a VOIP number and my voice messages go to the voip system. Texting is via voip. For me Telus has the best coverage in remote, fringe areas.

Virgin, offer good to Nov 9, 2015
    $57/month, month to month. $5 for new SIM
    Unlimited Canada wide (early evenings irrelevant)
    2 GB data, (Is data speed the same speed as Telus?)
    Call display
    Don't care about texting, vm. All handled by the voip system. New phone number irrelevant, I give out my VOIP number instead. No one calls my cell number.

My understanding is Virgin is Bell so the Virgin coverage footprint is the same as Bell. In BC Bell and Telus have the same coverage, so the Virgin coverage should be identical to my Telus coverage currently? Correct? This is important for me when travelling to the rural areas of BC.

What am I overlooking? What am I giving up by switching to Virgin? There is no free lunch.

Kicker. I'm looking for a plan for my teenager who has outgrown Speakout and wants more data and unlimited texts.
    - The Virgin rep suggested the $35/month 300 MB plan with 300 minutes, unlimited texting, evenings and weekends at 5PM, for the teenager's plan. Not a lot of data though, Speakout was 100 MB for $10/month.

- Then until Nov 9, 2015. activating a second plan (mine) gets a 10% discount bringing my plan or down to $51.30/month. No expiry on the pricing or features. Calls are free between teenager's phone and mine. Total is $83.30/month, up from about $68/month total Telus + Speakout or $220/yr more for communication costs.

Thanks for any insight.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Nowadays you can buy a new phone and just put your SIM card in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fuelled by rice

Feedback Score
    can someone please post the current phone number for L&R at Telus? I've been with them since 1995, my 3 year contract expired a couple of weeks ago, I want to see if they will give me a better deal to upgrade from my Iphone 5 up to an Iphone 6s, and maybe bump the data up to 2gb instead of the current 1gb on my plan. Thx.

Feedback Score
    This is the number I use
    Good luck

Page 67 of 80 FirstFirst ... 17 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 LastLast