Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LG 840G signal strength

Feedback Score

LG 840G signal strength

Opened a new LG 840 and with out activating it I noticed that it has low signal strength to the tower. My currant phone is an LG 500G and before that an LG600G both from Tracfone and using att sim cards. In my home both the old phones show 4 or sometimes 3 bars of signal strength, the 840 shows only 1 or sometimes 2 bars. Not sure what network the 840 is on because I forgot what to look for on the sim number.
    I took a drive around my area to do a side by side comparison and found the new phone regularly shows 2 bars lower than the old phones. In strong areas it would match the signal strength at 4 bars and then drop away to a two bar difference, never more than two bars less and never exceeded the signal strength of the old phones anywhere.
    I have boxed up the new phone to be returned but I have a question, How do I Identify what network it operates on and if it is a normal thing for this model phone to show a lower signal strength. I will have the option to exchange or refund and I am wondering if I should try a different phone of the same model or not. The phone was purchased at Target where att sims are supposed to be the norm.
    Also there are two tiers of shortcuts on the bottom of the screen and the second tier does not work at all. It shows shortcuts to things like the notepad and others of the like but I think that would become active when the phone was activated.
    Can you help me out? I really liked the phone so I try a different phone or a different model of triple minute phone witch is what I am after. The LG500 still works fine.

On the 840, the sim the first three digits are 890 just like the 500. I thought that had something to do with the network but I'm not sure anymore.

Feedback Score
    Somewhere on this forum, someone else mentioned that the signal strength was low when the phone was unactivated. But the signal strength was greatly improved once the phone was activated. So there is some factor going on there.

Since you bought the phone at return-friendly Target, you could always activate and check everything out. Then if you want to transfer from your other phone, you will need a new sim for the next phone number, but that is not a problem.

Speaking of sims, check the package and see if there is a P4 associated with the upc/model number. Or a sim number beginning with 890141. Those indicate AT&T.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LMyPhone View Post
    Not sure what network the 840 is on because I forgot what to look for on the sim number. I have a question, 1 - How do I identify what network it operates on? 2 - Also there are two tiers of shortcuts on the bottom of the screen and the second tier does not work at all. It shows shortcuts to things like the notepad and others of the like but I think that would become active when the phone was activated.
    Can you help me out?
    1 - Network: Sims beginning with 890141 are ATT. Sims beginning with 890126 are T-Mobile.

2 - My LG 840 is not activated either. The shortcuts at the bottom are not active but the apps like Notepad work fine if you access them directly.

Carrier
    Me
    Feedback Score
    I read a review over at Amazon of a buyer who as well only
    had 2 bars showing. I don't know if the unit was activated
    or not.

Feedback Score
    My LG 840 has never been activated and I have 4 bars in an ATT area.

Phone
    LG840G
    Carrier
    Tracfone (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    I am an owner of an activated LG840G, I transferred service from my trusty LG800G (both using AT&T network). Can't tell you if AT&T is better for you in your area - I know it is for me where I'm at. I notice that the LG840G shows on average a bar or two less signal strength than did the LG800G, but it reflects 3G service (don't know if that makes any difference for signal strength purposes), and the call quality has always been very good - at least as good as the LG800G in my limited experience. I like it a lot better than the LG800G so far, especially the wi-fi internet capability!

As for the shortcuts to things like the notepad etc - those things you activate by clicking on the little arrow above and to the right of this area, then click and drag one of those items to the main screen area, then click on the little arrow again to close it. Then the notepad (or whatever you dragged to the main screen area) will be "active" - click on it to activate it.

Feedback Score
    "Somewhere on this forum, someone else mentioned that the signal strength was low when the phone was unactivated. But the signal strength was greatly improved once the phone was activated. So there is some factor going on there."

I fell for that one once already. I was told that at a Sprint store before my Tracfone days and it never worked any differently after the phone was active so I am skeptical. My experience has told me that all my phones to date start dropping calls at less than two bars. That's my concern.

"Speaking of sims, check the package and see if there is a P4 associated with the upc/model number. Or a sim number beginning with 890141. Those indicate AT&T. "

Will do that when I get home tonight. I am working on a public computer so this may take a few days for me to get everything right.

" Can't tell you if AT&T is better for you in your area"

Att works well for me here. Loved my other two phones just wanted to move up to a triple minute phone, makes good sense for me.

"As for the shortcuts to things like the notepad etc - those things you activate by clicking on the little arrow above and to the right of this area, then click and drag one of those items to the main screen area, then click on the little arrow again to close it."

I'm sorry. I will play with it some more tonight.

Thanks all for help I'll check back tomorrow.

Feedback Score
    I don't have that exact phone. But I have a Motorola V176 that had excellent signal when it was in use. Everything got transferred to another handset and now the phone shows Unregistered SIM. And zero signal bars.

I recently got the shopcelldeals LG800G bundle. I'm pretty sure that phone showed poor signal bars until it was activated. I was a little bit concerned about it.

So I think there is some merit to the discussion.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by annepani View Post
    1 - Network: Sims beginning with 890141 are ATT. Sims beginning with 890126 are T-Mobile.
    It is an att sim for sure 890141.

Quote Originally Posted by srt8mro View Post
    I notice that the LG840G shows on average a bar or two less signal strength than did the LG800G, but it reflects 3G service (don't know if that makes any difference for signal strength purposes), and the call quality has always been very good
    If the phone is not in a 3G service area will it default to some older slower type of service or will that area just be a dead zone for this phone?
    My old sprint contract phone would automatically switch to analog if it wandered out of a digital service area. I hope this phone might do the something similar?
    I really need this phone to operate at work where my 500 only gets 2 bars. The new 840 should struggle to show any there.

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LMyPhone View Post
    If the phone is not in a 3G service area will it default to some older slower type of service or will that area just be a dead zone for this phone?
    My old sprint contract phone would automatically switch to analog if it wandered out of a digital service area. I hope this phone might do the something similar?
    It should drop back to 2G service (My S390G will fall back to EDGE, then GPRS, depending on where I am).
    but youd have to check the radios to be sure it will. As Far as I know all GSM TFs have AT&T and T-mobile radios though.

Feedback Score
    ST Dog wrote...
    It should drop back to 2G service (My S390G will fall back to EDGE, then GPRS, depending on where I am).
    but youd have to check the radios to be sure it will. As Far as I know all GSM TFs have AT&T and T-mobile radios though.
    Where do you look to see what service you have? On the LG840G if 3G is working it shows a 3G logo in the upper left corner. I have never seen anything else but the 3G logo on the LG840. I also only usually see 1-2 bars. What are you talking about with the radio? The LG840G doesn't have a radio, am I missing something here? Is there any correlation between signal strength and wifi signal strength? I have had my LG840G for 2-3 weeks and have been around 3 wifi networks. In my house I have no problem with the wifi(low # of bars but it works) but at my business there are 3 wifi networks and I can't even see any of them even when standing in the communications room 3-4' away from the router/modem. At a friends house, he has 2 wifi networks covering his home and I can see them but no bars and I can't connect.

Urge

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Urge21 View Post
    Where do you look to see w'hat service you have? On the LG840G if 3G is working it shows a 3G logo in the upper left corner. I have never seen anything else but the 3G logo on the LG840.
    My S390 shows E and G (for EDGE and GPRS) when I don't have a good 3G signal in the same spot it shows the 3G icon. My LG500G would also show E or G depending on the available signal.

I don't have an LG840G to say for sure, but I would expect it to show E and G as appropriate like the LG500G did.

What are you talking about with the radio? The LG840G doesn't have a radio, am I missing something here?
    The radio that transmits and receives the cell signal. At the basic level it's just a 2 way radio.

Is there any correlation between signal strength and wifi signal strength? I have had my LG840G for 2-3 weeks and have been around 3 wifi networks. In my house I have no problem with the wifi(low # of bars but it works) but at my business there are 3 wifi networks and I can't even see any of them even when standing in the communications room 3-4' away from the router/modem. At a friends house, he has 2 wifi networks covering his home and I can see them but no bars and I can't connect.
    The wi-fi icon my show wi-fi signal strength, but it is not related to the other signal meter (for cellular transmissions)

If you can see the wi-fi network, you usually have enough signal to connect, but not always.
    I think wi-fi issues with the LG840G have been discussed in another thread.

Feedback Score
    All activated Tracfones on AT&T and near each other:

LG800G - 5 bars
    LG840G - 2-3 bars
    S390G - 5 bars
    Cheers!

Feedback Score
    I also own the LG840G phone since November. I do love the 3G and the WiFi but the signal strength is not nearly as good as the LG800G or the Moto W376G that I used before this phone. Sometimes her LG800G phone works and mine will not connect. And the voice/speaker phone volume and sound quality are poor in my opinion. I would love to get some other opinions on the sound quality and volume. My wife also says that I don't sound that clear to her when I call her. It is the phone because we have excellent AT&T service in my area. I am thinking about returning to my LG800G.

Feedback Score
    Wanted to post an update. I returned the first 840 and purchased a second. I found a friend who purchased the same model phone, the 840, and doing a side by side comparison at work and I found that his phone showed 3 bars of 3G signal my 500 showed 4 bars of Edge and the new 840 showed me 3 bars of signal strength (an improvement of 2 bars) but like the first phone it didn't show 3G. They show an icon of what looks like a utility pole. Some of my older phones had the same icon but I'm not sure what it means.

Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    but youd have to check the radios to be sure it will.
    Can someone tell me if the utility pole icon means 2G or something else? Any guesses if 3G service would show up if the phone was active?

Quote Originally Posted by Urge21 View Post
    ST Dog wrote...

Where do you look to see what service you have?
    Under the prepaid icon bring up the sim number. If the first 6 digits are 890141 its att. 890126 designates T-Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    All activated Tracfones on AT&T and near each other:

LG800G - 5 bars
    LG840G - 2-3 bars
    S390G - 5 bars

Hmm. The S390G is a 3G phone also isn't it. Should show the same signal strength if its a 3G issue shouldn't it? The samsung is showing 3G?

Quote Originally Posted by frankie3100 View Post
    I also own the LG840G phone since November. I do love the 3G and the WiFi but the signal strength is not nearly as good as the LG800G or the Moto W376G that I used before this phone. Sometimes her LG800G phone works and mine will not connect. And the voice/speaker phone volume and sound quality are poor in my opinion. I would love to get some other opinions on the sound quality and volume. My wife also says that I don't sound that clear to her when I call her. It is the phone because we have excellent AT&T service in my area. I am thinking about returning to my LG800G.
    I am beginning to think the same thing. If tracfone offered a triple minute for life card I might likely keep my 500. Don't really need the 3G because I use very little data, but the wifi and the larger screen would have been fun. Doing away with the soft button that launches the browser on my 500 also would be nice. Cant remember how many times I bumped that by accident.
    The audio on all my LG phones has been less than sharp both send and receive. Usable yes, but not nearly sharp.
    I will take a few more days to consider my purchase. Wouldn't mind looking at the samsung S390G but they haven't made it to my area yet.
    I will be back to check on this thread as often as possible.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast