Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: LG 840G signal strength

Feedback Score
    All showed 3G. Phones were an inch apart on a table.

Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    All activated Tracfones on AT&T and near each other:

LG800G - 5 bars
    LG840G - 2-3 bars
    S390G - 5 bars
    Cheers!

Feedback Score
    With all due respect, I think y'all are missing the point. An unactivated sim is not going to be a good ambassador for its full chops. There is not a full connection. You are lucky to see any bars at all, and the bars may be false, just a connection to get the activation put through. Data speed to be determined later.

I have had phones where the connection did not become normal until the phone was activated. Before that, it was bare bones. Why should a carrier devote bandwidth to a non-starter? An unactivated phone is required to have 911 capabilities, so there is some connection, but not a lot.

It's not fair to compare an unactivated phone with an activated one. Besides that, the bars are not standardized, and can mean whatever.

Feedback Score
    My observation was on 3 activated phones.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    With all due respect, I think y'all are missing the point. An unactivated sim is not going to be a good ambassador for its full chops. There is not a full connection. You are lucky to see any bars at all, and the bars may be false, just a connection to get the activation put through. Data speed to be determined later.

I have had phones where the connection did not become normal until the phone was activated. Before that, it was bare bones. Why should a carrier devote bandwidth to a non-starter? An unactivated phone is required to have 911 capabilities, so there is some connection, but not a lot.

It's not fair to compare an unactivated phone with an activated one. Besides that, the bars are not standardized, and can mean whatever.

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LMyPhone View Post
    I found that his phone showed 3 bars of 3G signal my 500 showed 4 bars of Edge and the new 840 showed me 3 bars of signal strength (an improvement of 2 bars) but like the first phone it didn't show 3G. They show an icon of what looks like a utility pole. Some of my older phones had the same icon but I'm not sure what it means.

Can someone tell me if the utility pole icon means 2G or something else? Any guesses if 3G service would show up if the phone was active?

It's just an antenna icon. Tell you that the bars next to it are signal strength.
    It should but a G, E, or 3G in the corner above the bars. If you see the antenna and not a letter you aren't getting a data signal the phone can use. I see that along with a "Emergency Only" message in places without a good AT&T signal (I have an AT&T SIM).

I don't think you'll get the data icon (letter) on an inactive phone/SIM.

This picture from the TF tutorial showing and E
    Name:  Default.gif
Views: 679
Size:  71.9 KB
    Maybe tfusr19 or someone else can post a picture showing the 3G icon?

Feedback Score
    Page 11 of the LG840G User Guide shows the 3G icon at the top of table. I don't have access to my LG840G to confirm this.

To add to the signal strength confusion:
    LG840G manual shows 6 bars max.
    S390G manual shows 5 bars max.

http://img.deviceanywhere.com//tracf...uide_EN_ES.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Maybe tfusr19 or someone else can post a picture showing the 3G icon?

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks tfusr.
    That also shows the antenna icon and states it's for no network signal. And a phone that's not activated wouldn't have a network.
    Last edited by ST Dog; 01-10-2013 at 02:40 PM. Reason: typo.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post

Not trying to make any point here I'm here to learn from others experiences. It interests me that you had phones that did not become normal until it was activated. That hasn't been my experience with the 4 phones I have purchased. Any body else have that experience?
    Not fair? If I am on the wrong track I need several people will try to straighten me out, that's why I'm here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    Page 11 of the LG840G User Guide shows the 3G icon at the top of table. I don't have access to my LG840G to confirm this.

To add to the signal strength confusion:
    LG840G manual shows 6 bars max.
    S390G manual shows 5 bars max.

http://img.deviceanywhere.com//tracf...uide_EN_ES.pdf
    Thanks for the link. On page 11 it shows both the 3G icon and the utility pole icon and it is indeed a no network indicator. I would expect the 3G indicator when the phone is active. I also realize that the number of bars is a relative thing but I am going only on my experience that some calls will start dropping at less than 2 bars signal strength.

Feedback Score
    AlexTrac,
    Thank you for your time and trying to help. Sent you a pm but your inbox is full.

Feedback Score

Deactivated LG800 Shows 5 Bars

My LG800G which was deactivated on Monday night (3 days ago) because I switched service to the LG840G still shows 5 bars .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2