Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Verizon phones coming to Straight Talk

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    In a Corridor of Traffic
    Posts
    1,029
    Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

    Verizon phones coming to Straight Talk

    In this post, someone is claiming that LTE and BYOP is coming to the Verizon side of Straight Talk. Fact or fiction?

    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1787073
    How do you think this will affect Verizon?
    nex·us [nek-suhs]
    noun, plural nex·us·es, nex·us.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    677
    Carriers
    Straight Talk (ATT SIM)
    Feedback Score
    0

    Verizon phones coming to Straight Talk

    It's not impossible if anyone could do it it would be straight talk however I imagine the monthly price to be above $45 for LTE access. They were also considering adding the 4 in the past that was a CDMA version. I would like to see it happen but I don't have my hopes up.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    818
    Feedback Score
    0
    Dito. All Verizon needs to do is flip the switch and allow MVNOs access to the LTE network. Remember, Verizon was the first to bring LTE (going 2 years now??!) while Sprint had its WiMax and AT&T its HSPA+ as their "4G". LTE won the 4G race forcing Sprint and AT&T upgrade their networks. So it's possible most current Verizon customers are now on LTE and Verizon is contemplating MVNOs access to their LTE network. Just remember if Verizon allows LTE then you'll have buy an LTE compatible phone :P. Probably not going to happen anytime soon. My prediction is fall 2013 at the earliest. Eventually it will cost Verizon money just to keep the 3G networks up, LoL.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Posts
    6,718
    Phones
    iPhone 4S
    Samsung R355C (wife's)
    Motorola V600 (oversea travel)
    Carriers
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    You could go to Pageplus Cellular without modifying your iPhone to use.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    In a Corridor of Traffic
    Posts
    1,029
    Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

    Re: Verizon phones coming to Straight Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    You could go to Pageplus Cellular without modifying your iPhone to use.
    Personally, I don't see the hype with Page Plus. The $55 plan is about $15-20 less than what I paid under contract with Verizon for unlimited data and 450 minutes.

    In my opinion, I'd find an iPhone 4 using the native Sprint network more likely than Verizon opening up LTE to Straight Talk.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Posts
    6,718
    Phones
    iPhone 4S
    Samsung R355C (wife's)
    Motorola V600 (oversea travel)
    Carriers
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    I thought their unlimited talk and text and 250MB of data is only $39.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The Midwest
    Posts
    1,536
    Carrier
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score
    0

    Verizon phones coming to Straight Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by keyz16b View Post
    Dito. All Verizon needs to do is flip the switch and allow MVNOs access to the LTE network. Remember, Verizon was the first to bring LTE (going 2 years now??!) while Sprint had its WiMax and AT&T its HSPA+ as their "4G". LTE won the 4G race forcing Sprint and AT&T upgrade their networks. So it's possible most current Verizon customers are now on LTE and Verizon is contemplating MVNOs access to their LTE network. Just remember if Verizon allows LTE then you'll have buy an LTE compatible phone :P. Probably not going to happen anytime soon. My prediction is fall 2013 at the earliest. Eventually it will cost Verizon money just to keep the 3G networks up, LoL.
    Unfortunately one will still require a CDMA/LTE capable phone with Verizon, since VoLTE is not universally in place yet and Verizon still utilizes CDMA for voice.
    Q: Would you patronize a streetwalker?

    A: No, I would treat her as an equal.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    83
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    I thought their unlimited talk and text and 250MB of data is only $39.
    You are correct. $50.00 unlimited everything.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,316
    Feedback Score
    0

    Verizon phones coming to Straight Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by MkVsTheWorld View Post
    Personally, I don't see the hype with Page Plus. The $55 plan is about $15-20 less than what I paid under contract with Verizon for unlimited data and 450 minutes.

    In my opinion, I'd find an iPhone 4 using the native Sprint network more likely than Verizon opening up LTE to Straight Talk.


    10-4. Page plus is only good for little/minimum use. 55 dollar plan can kiss itttt

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    640
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jillxz View Post
    You are correct. $50.00 unlimited everything.
    pageplus doesn't have unlimited everything. Only unlimited call and text but not unlimited data. They also have a plan for 69 I think but web is not unlimited on that plan either, its only 2GB

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    26
    Feedback Score
    0
    Not true. The 55 plan includes everything, though I would rather be on StraightTalk.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    In a Corridor of Traffic
    Posts
    1,029
    Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

    Re: Verizon phones coming to Straight Talk

    SaraST messaged me with this:

    Quote Originally Posted by SaraST
    Hi,

    I have read your post from this forum which caught my attention.

    Unfortunately, Straight Talk does not offer LTE service as of the moment. No SIM card is yet compatible with Verizon for the Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) program. But Straight Talk is always looking for new innovations to enhance its service. Since it is one of the country's largest networks, it is possible that Straight Talk will consider using Verizon towers with its BYOP program.

    Should you have additional queries, you may send us an email at ST.CorpResolutionTeam@straighttalk.com.

    Thanks.

    Sara
    Straight Talk
    This could be just optimism, but SaraST does sort of use language implying that Verizon BYOP is in the works.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    metro Atlanta area
    Posts
    2,491
    Phone
    Nexus 5 (LG-D820), Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MkVsTheWorld View Post
    In this post, someone is claiming that LTE and BYOP is coming to the Verizon side of Straight Talk. Fact or fiction?

    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1787073
    How do you think this will affect Verizon?
    I see a Straight Talk BYOP plan for Verizon being more feasible with CDMA and not LTE. Theoretically, you could bring any CDMA phone -- even MetroPCS/Sprint/Cricket phones. LTE would be much harder technically AND Verizon would want to keep that for themselves.

    Even CDMA phones would not be easy...

    You would still have to "flash" the phone to switch it to ST "Verizon" network, same as people have flashed CDMA phones to work with pre-paid carriers MetroPCS and Leap/Cricket. Changing networks on a CDMA phone is an internal software issue, not as simple as swapping out a physical sim. To flash same carrier to MNVO of that carrier (like Verizon to Page Plus which is Verizon MNVO), you have install a new signal PRL file on the device so that it knows how to pick up the specific towers & signal.

    That part can be done with over-the-air software. But to change different carrier phones to another carrier (Sprint to Verizon) requires a data cable, some software, and some technical knowledge. You will need to manually install a PRL file, as well as manually change the MDN, MIN and SID settings inside the phone. Even then this will make TALK and TEXT work ONLY. NO Web or Data or Picture Messaging. To get web, data and picture/video messaging work on totally different network provide phione is very technically difficult. There are trained personnel in cell phone stores who are paid to to do it. You can also find them advertising on Craigslist. (go read this page from one of the largest Page Plus dealers on what phones they can use and how difficult.)


    MetroPCS used to offer their own flashing service to people wanting to switch over to Metro from Verizon or Sprint. People would bring in their CDMA phones to MetroPCS stores and they would be flashed to Metro's network (and even then it only worked in some markets due to frequency differences between Metro and Verizon). But Metro has lots of brick-and-mortar stores with trained personnel and equipment. How would Straight Talk do this? The only "physical" presence they have are on the shelves of Wal-mart stores and Wal-Mart clerks.

    No one is going to flash your Sprint CDMA phone to ST "Verizon" here...



    Even if Straight Talk offered some kind of do-it-yourself web browser download for you to flash your own CDMA phone to Straight Talk "Verizon", I see lots of bricked phones happening.


    I came to Straight Talk from a dozen years with MetroPCS (CDMA and LTE) and before that with Verizon (CDMA). I've had CDMA and CDMA/LTE phones. I know a lot of general knowledge about flashing CDMA phones as LOTS of people came into the Metro forum wanting to switch from Verizon and Sprint to cheaper MetroPCS. It can be done but it's not something an untrained person can do, and it's not foolproof (bricked phones happen).


    Not saying ST "Verizon" BYOP won't happen, but if it does, I see it

    • limited to CDMA only. Not LTE.
    • probably limited to Verizon-branded CDMA phones Straight Talk could flash to their version of Verizon network. A true CDMA BYOP plan -- allowing all CDMA phones from other carriers -- would be much more difficult to implement due to software/chipset differences.


    This would still mean CDMA-only iPhone 4 & iPhone 4S would work, but only the CDMA part of the Verizon CDMA/LTE iPhone 5 would work. And again, possibly limited to VERIZON-branded iPhones, not Sprint -- or at least "unlocked" iPhones from the Apple store.

    ____________

    Then, after the technical limitations, you have Verizon allowing only certain phones on their CDMA network.

    Page Plus -- an authorized Verizon MNVO with BYOP -- was forced to cull several popular phones from the "allowed" list as they were competing too well with Verizon's own pre-paid plans. Why would Verzion change their minds now about that? If Straight Talk does get a ST "Verizon BYOP plan, I bet the list of "allowed" phones will be limited. AFTER the iPhone 5s comes six months from now in June 2013, the "ancient" iPhone 4 might be allowed (which was released June 2010). I find it very hard to believe the iPhone 4S, iPhone 5 or upcoming iPhone 5S would be allowed, based on what Verizon is currently doing with PagePlus.

    __________
    Last edited by ChazzMatt; 01-04-2013 at 08:50 AM.
    Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The West Coast of the U.S.
    Posts
    1,547
    Carrier
    Ting, Republic Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    ChazzMatt,

    I'm not sure I follow your thinking with respect to LTE.

    If ST adopts a BYO-Verizon phone, why would they limit it to Verizon CDMA phones?

    No flashing would be required to take a Verizon branded phone and make it a ST Verizon phone. As far as the phone would be concerned, it would still be on Verizon.


    Quote Originally Posted by ChazzMatt View Post
    I see a Straight Talk BYOP plan for Verizon being more feasible with CDMA and not LTE. Theoretically, you could bring any CDMA phone -- even MetroPCS/Sprint/Cricket phones. LTE would be much harder technically AND Verizon would want to keep that for themselves.

    Even CDMA phones would not be easy...

    You would still have to "flash" the phone to switch it to ST "Verizon" network, same as people have flashed CDMA phones to work with pre-paid carriers MetroPCS and Leap/Cricket. Changing networks on a CDMA phone is an internal software issue, not as simple as swapping out a physical sim. To flash same carrier to MNVO of that carrier (like Verizon to Page Plus which is Verizon MNVO), you have install a new signal PRL file on the device so that it knows how to pick up the specific towers & signal.

    That part can be done with over-the-air software. But to change different carrier phones to another carrier (Sprint to Verizon) requires a data cable, some software, and some technical knowledge. You will need to manually install a PRL file, as well as manually change the MDN, MIN and SID settings inside the phone. Even then this will make TALK and TEXT work ONLY. NO Web or Data or Picture Messaging. To get web, data and picture/video messaging work on totally different network provide phione is very technically difficult. There are trained personnel in cell phone stores who are paid to to do it. You can also find them advertising on Craigslist. (go read this page from one of the largest Page Plus dealers on what phones they can use and how difficult.)


    MetroPCS used to offer their own flashing service to people wanting to switch over to Metro from Verizon or Sprint. People would bring in their CDMA phones to MetroPCS stores and they would be flashed to Metro's network (and even then it only worked in some markets due to frequency differences between Metro and Verizon). But Metro has lots of brick-and-mortar stores with trained personnel and equipment. How would Straight Talk do this? The only "physical" presence they have are on the shelves of Wal-mart stores and Wal-Mart clerks.

    No one is going to flash your Sprint CDMA phone to ST "Verizon" here...



    Even if Straight Talk offered some kind of do-it-yourself web browser download for you to flash your own CDMA phone to Straight Talk "Verizon", I see lots of bricked phones happening.


    I came to Straight Talk from a dozen years with MetroPCS (CDMA and LTE) and before that with Verizon (CDMA). I've had CDMA and CDMA/LTE phones. I know a lot of general knowledge about flashing CDMA phones as LOTS of people came into the Metro forum wanting to switch from Verizon and Sprint to cheaper MetroPCS. It can be done but it's not something an untrained person can do, and it's not foolproof (bricked phones happen).


    Not saying ST "Verizon" BYOP won't happen, but if it does, I see it

    • limited to CDMA only. Not LTE.
    • probably limited to Verizon-branded CDMA phones Straight Talk could flash to their version of Verizon network. A true CDMA BYOP plan -- allowing all CDMA phones from other carriers -- would be much more difficult to implement due to software/chipset differences.


    This would still mean CDMA-only iPhone 4 & iPhone 4S would work, but only the CDMA part of the Verizon CDMA/LTE iPhone 5 would work. And again, possibly limited to VERIZON-branded iPhones, not Sprint -- or at least "unlocked" iPhones from the Apple store.

    ____________

    Then, after the technical limitations, you have Verizon allowing only certain phones on their CDMA network.

    Page Plus -- an authorized Verizon MNVO with BYOP -- was forced to cull several popular phones from the "allowed" list as they were competing too well with Verizon's own pre-paid plans. Why would Verzion change their minds now about that? If Straight Talk does get a ST "Verizon BYOP plan, I bet the list of "allowed" phones will be limited. AFTER the iPhone 5s comes six months from now in June 2013, the "ancient" iPhone 4 might be allowed (which was released June 2010). I find it very hard to believe the iPhone 4S, iPhone 5 or upcoming iPhone 5S would be allowed, based on what Verizon is currently doing with PagePlus.

    __________
    Questions?? Read the FAQs: The Prepaid FAQ . The Straight Talk FAQ
    Disagree with someone? Be Nice!
    Report posts that violate the rules by clicking the dark triangle at the bottom, left of the post.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    metro Atlanta area
    Posts
    2,491
    Phone
    Nexus 5 (LG-D820), Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by EndeavorOR View Post
    ChazzMatt,

    I'm not sure I follow your thinking with respect to LTE.

    If ST adopts a BYO-Verizon phone, why would they limit it to Verizon CDMA phones?

    No flashing would be required to take a Verizon branded phone and make it a ST Verizon phone. As far as the phone would be concerned, it would still be on Verizon.
    Yes, IF you shrink the BYOP universe to Verizon CDMA + LTE phones (CDMA carriers with LTE have their phones manufactured with both CDMA and LTE chipsets, for fallback when LTE is not available), then yes you could take a Verizon branded LTE phone and make it a ST "Verizon" LTE phone. That is technically feasible. But, then it's a very limited Bring Your Own Phone" -- as in you could ONLY bring your own Verizon-branded LTE phones. You and I are both not using a carrier branded phones for ST BYOP plan, so you understand the difference.

    I still do not believe any possible ST "Verizon" BYOP will have LTE included. Oh, sure you could USE a CDMA + LTE phone, but only the CDMA part would work, as I believe Verizon would not offer LTE coverage to another company. Verizon does not even offer LTE to their own Verizon Pre-Paid. They are sure not going to allow it to Straight Talk.

    I think if you look at the Verizon MNVO that already offers BYOP -- PagePlus -- you will see the kind of relationship Verizon imposes. PagePlus has to stay a deferential step behind Verizon Pre-Paid and a two or three steps behind main Verizon (post paid).

    That kind of relationship is also imposed on Straight Talk even for Straight Talk-branded phones that use Verizon. Currently, Straight Talk is allowed to only offer phones on Verizon using 2010 specs. Gingerbread 2.3, 3.5" displays, single core CPUs limited at 1GHz or less (usally 800 MHz). You know the "cutting edge" phones of 2010. And this is 2013. That's why I laugh hysterically when I see "new" Straight Talk-branded Android phones for Verizon mentioned in this forum. It's like being excited because you just got a 70's era Ford LTD sedan.

    My point is, Verizon MNVOs are kept on a short leash. PagePlus offers BYOP for Verizon network, but nothing that would threaten Verizon's own business. I see Straight Talk doing something similar. IF Straight Talk is allowed to flash ANY CDMA phone to Verizon, that would be a huge concession right there. But LTE would be unthinkable.

    You would see Straight Talk selling LTE for Sprint (as MNVO Ting does) first, before any Verizon LTE BYOP deal. Heck, I would say you would see Straight Talk selling LTE for AT&T, before any Verizon LTE BYOP deal.

    When those things happen, THEN some kind of Verizon LTE deal is possible...

    _____________

    This article supports my thinking that Verizon will push CDMA (3G) for pre-paid but keep LTE for post-paid:


    Is Verizon turning 3G into a prepaid-only service?

    Is Verizon turning 3G into a prepaid-only service?

    — Mobile Technology News
    BY Kevin Fitchard
    Nov 26, 2012 - 3:54PM PT


    Verizon Wireless is hardly the must gung ho carrier when it comes to prepaid service. Though it hosts a few million contract-free subscribers on its 2G and 3G networks, it chooses to focus on the high-dollar contract users and its brand spanking new LTE data network. But before the Thanksgiving holiday kicked off Verizon did a funny thing: It started courting prepaid subscribers with a double-data promotional offer.

    First spotted by FierceWireless, the deal gives customers signing up for its $80 unlimited-talk-and-text smartphone plans 2 GB of data to consume each month rather than just the standard 1 GB. The major catch is that data must come off its 3G network — no LTE phones allowed. After years of ceding prepaid to its competitors has Verizon finally seen the light of contract-free mobility? If it has, then Verizon is attacking prepaid in a strange way. Even with the limited time promotion, its prepaid plans are by far the most expensive in the market – you can get the same plan anywhere from $20 to $30 a month less at a slew of other carriers (and in many cases access to much faster data networks).

    What Verizon likely sees here is an opportunity to find a second life for its 3G CDMA EV-DO networks. Now that Apple has found LTE religion , almost the entirety of Verizon’s smartphone portfolio sports a 4G radio , which means its data traffic will quickly migrate off its old 3G networks . Big Red still needs those EV-DO networks as back up in areas where its 4G service is unavailable, but those areas are quickly becoming few and far between. Verizon plans to have LTE in every place it offers 3G by the end of 2013, and thanks to its LTE in Rural America program it will have 4G in places it’s never before built a CDMA network .


    Verizon’s LTE network (yellow) will eventually grow to encompass its 3G network (red).

    So in just year or two Verizon will have a largely empty 3G network. Eventually it will shutter those CDMA systems, replacing them with 4G technologies, but that could take the remainder of the decade if not longer . Verizon needs those CDMA networks for its legacy voice services, and its planned launch of an IP-based voice-over-LTE service is still on the drawing board . In short, that 3G data network is going nowhere so it behooves Verizon to find ways of filling it.

    That may be why Verizon is getting the prepaid bug after so many years of ignoring the market. Prepaid isn’t just for the budget-minded or credit-challenged anymore, and say what you will about Verizon’s pricing and data plans, but it consistently scores high marks from consumers for customer service, reliability and quality of service.

    Verizon may be thinking there’s room in the market for a “premium” prepaid operator and that it’s just the carrier to fill that niche. It just so happens to have a rapidly emptying 3G network to serve those customers. Sprint got the same idea when it started relegating WiMAX to its Boost Mobile and Virgin Mobile prepaid customers , reserving its new LTE network for those on its contracts.

    Still, premium subscribers will expect a premium service. Sub-megabit 3G connections just won’t cut it, especially if T-Mobile or Sprint is offering far faster network connections for far cheaper prices. Verizon will need to drop prices a lot more if it hopes to make any kind of dent in the sans-contract market. But if it reserves its 3G network for prepaid users – along with contract customers using “dumbphones” – then it can afford to slash plan costs. The networks investment is already sunk, and that spectrum will be tied up for years to come. Any money it can make off of 3G is just gravy
    .
    Last edited by ChazzMatt; 01-05-2013 at 08:38 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 3 more Android phones coming to Straight Talk?
    By silentjudge in forum Straight Talk
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-24-2012, 02:01 PM
  2. More Android phones coming to Straight Talk.
    By d4kc9 in forum Straight Talk
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-18-2012, 01:17 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-28-2010, 04:48 AM
  4. New verizon phone coming out Q1 2006
    By Vyruz Reaper in forum Feature Phones
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-10-2005, 03:11 PM
  5. new Verizon phones coming soon?
    By nin1974 in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-11-2004, 03:44 AM

Bookmarks