Thread: Net10 Switch from an AT&T SIM to a T-Mobile SIM

Feedback Score

Net10 Switch from an AT&T SIM to a T-Mobile SIM

I received a Nexus 4 for Christmas and a friend of mine says that here in Chicago he is getting better speeds on T-Mobile "4g" than he was on an AT&T SIM.

I am currently on NET10 unlimited with an AT&T SIM. I ordered a T-Mobile NET10 sim over ebay and expect it to arrive in a few days.

Question: can I just call NET10 and have them switch my service mid-month and keeping my number to the new SIM?

Or should I wait to "port" from the old SIM to the new SIM at the end of the month when my current prepaid month expires?

Carrier
    AT&T Gophone
    Feedback Score

Net10 Switch from an AT&T SIM to a T-Mobile SIM

Quote Originally Posted by Roti2000 View Post
    I received a Nexus 4 for Christmas and a friend of mine says that here in Chicago he is getting better speeds on T-Mobile "4g" than he was on an AT&T SIM.

I am currently on NET10 unlimited with an AT&T SIM. I ordered a T-Mobile NET10 sim over ebay and expect it to arrive in a few days.

Question: can I just call NET10 and have them switch my service mid-month and keeping my number to the new SIM?

Or should I wait to "port" from the old SIM to the new SIM at the end of the month when my current prepaid month expires?
    I also have this question. My theory is you should be able to buy a Tmobile sim and call and have them switch it like when you are moving to a new sim. You shouldn't have to port and your service should carry over. Might be worth emailing or calling cs first though.

Carrier
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    Going through the Net10 sim activation page this part comes up

https://www.net10.com/direct/init_ac...rom=activation

Carriers
    PagePlus
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I suggest you ask a Net10 rep directly at their online forums...they have senior CSR's monitoring them pretty much 24/7.

http://www.net10forum.com/index.php

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephisto Zap View Post
    You shouldn't have to port and your service should carry over.
    Changing form AT&T to T-Mobile is porting. It's all handled internally for NET10, but it's still moving from one carrier to another.

Feedback Score

Re: Net10 Switch from an AT&T SIM to a T-Mobile SIM

My question would be can you switch Sims out like that on a net10 phone.
    I was kind of under the impression that the net 10 and straight talk sim cards were for non net10 and on straight talk phones so that they would work on those services, but that the straight talk and net 10 androids were locked to heir Sims and switching like that was not possible. Much like you can't unlock their phones.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

ST to IPhone http://goo.gl/bYd8e
    ST to Android http://goo.gl/Xael3
    ST to Windows Phone http://goo.gl/MMuZH
    Tracfone CS at 800-876-5753 or 800-626-4883
    Phone Number for Google Customer Service. 18558363987

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndroidFoneFan View Post
    I was kind of under the impression that the net 10 and straight talk sim cards were for non net10 and on straight talk phones so that they would work on those services, but that the straight talk and net 10 androids were locked to heir Sims and switching like that was not possible. Much like you can't unlock their phones.
    Certainly you can do some. Not sure about their androids, but I suspect they have the same SIM as the BYOD SIM, but it may be a locked SIM for NET10 devices only (custom ROM on their androids would get around and locks in the software though).

For the per-minute devices you can certainly change SIMs to switch carriers (have to in fact, as AT&T and T-Mobile SIMs are different) or to get a new phone number. Just have to have the phone activated with the new SIM (lock to phone, get a number, and some other configuration).

All that said, the OP has a Nexus 4, so is already using a BYOD SIM.

Feedback Score

Re: Net10 Switch from an AT&T SIM to a T-Mobile SIM

OK, thanks. That being the case I'm not sure why I thought the Net10 phones were all locked to the Sims that came with them. Maybe the tracfone problem blurring my lines.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mooneyb1 View Post
    Going through the Net10 sim activation page this part comes up

https://www.net10.com/direct/init_ac...rom=activation
    Thanks. I figured you can switch SIMs. My main question is whether they transfer your prepaid balance to the new SIM.

My current month of service expires on 27 Jan. So if I switch today would the remaining service also be switched?

When I ported to them initially you had to have a new airtime PIN already in place to process the activation.

I must give props to NET10 CSR. When I ported last month from AT&T, I mistakenly bought a $45 e-PIN from Pincheap instead of the $50 Unlimited which gave me troubles with the BYOS port. (The SIM was only oriented to the unlimited plans).

A call to their customer service straightened it out pretty painlessly. I offered to pay them directly an extra $5, but they didn't ask for it. They just converted the $45 I had already paid to the $50 unlimited.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndroidFoneFan View Post
    OK, thanks. That being the case I'm not sure why I thought the Net10 phones were all locked to the Sims that came with them. Maybe the tracfone problem blurring my lines.
    TF work the same way. You want a new number, carrier change, or even reactivate an old phone, you get a new SIM. You just can't use another provider's SIM in the phones.

I don't see how NET10 or ST androids cold be locked like that though. It's not the nature of the android OS/hardware. Even if they tried, it could be worked around (not that anyone would want to use a cheap NET10/ST android elsewhere given better phones can be had for the same money without the hassles)

Feedback Score
    Just an update: I made the switch from the AT&T Pin to the T-MObile PIN in the middle of a prepaid month and my outstanding balance went to the new PIN. Everything went well.

I may start another thread, but I did hit a glitch when I enrolled in Auto-Refill. I have two phones on my account. One had an expiration date of 25 Jan and the other had an expiration date of 26 Jan.

On 21 Jan., I went to the NET10 website, logged into my account and signed up with a credit card for the two phones for auto-refill.

I made the transaction, but didn't receive any real confirmation on my phone or the email address associated with my account about the transaction.

Today (22 Jan) I saw when I logged into the Net10 website that the two phones had 21 Feb. expiry dates.

I assumed they would wait until the two phones' expiry dates to do the autorefill, but apparently that was not the case.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Roti2000 View Post
    Just an update: I made the switch from the AT&T Pin to the T-MObile PIN in the middle of a prepaid month and my outstanding balance went to the new PIN. Everything went well.

I may start another thread, but I did hit a glitch when I enrolled in Auto-Refill. I have two phones on my account. One had an expiration date of 25 Jan and the other had an expiration date of 26 Jan.

On 21 Jan., I went to the NET10 website, logged into my account and signed up with a credit card for the two phones for auto-refill.

I made the transaction, but didn't receive any real confirmation on my phone or the email address associated with my account about the transaction.

Today (22 Jan) I saw when I logged into the Net10 website that the two phones had 21 Feb. expiry dates.

I assumed they would wait until the two phones' expiry dates to do the autorefill, but apparently that was not the case.
    If you had airtime remaining, the addition should have gone into your RESERVE until auto added on the 25th and 26th. You will have to call them to straighten it out, best completed before the 25th and 26th.