Thread: Platinumtel sim in T-mobile phone - it works!

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Platinumtel sim in T-mobile phone - it works!

Folks,

A couple other people mentioned that PlatinumTel sim cards work in phones locked to T-mobile. I just purchased the LG Optimus L9 with a $50 refill card from T-mobile earlier in the week for $199. I just checked T-mobile and unfortunately the $50 refill card is no longer offered with the L9.

I have a prepaid flip phone I leave in the car on T-mobile. I'll use the $50 card to add to that.

I cut my PTel sim card down to a micro sim using a good pair of scissors. It's not difficult, I just looked at how much material was around the micro sim card that came with the L9 and cut my PTel one accordingly. The PTel sim works in the L9 (which is locked to T-mobile).

My plan is to use the L9 on PTel Paygo. I really don't use much data, so the Paygo is perfect for me. If I find I'm using more data, then I'll probably switch over to the $40 unlimited with PlatinumTel.

Just wanted to share this info for folks interested in PTel.

Fort

Carrier
    GSM: Whoever has the best deal!
    Feedback Score
    Good information to know.

Thanks for sharing!

John L.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fv22652 View Post
    Folks,

A couple other people mentioned that PlatinumTel sim cards work in phones locked to T-mobile. I just purchased the LG Optimus L9 with a $50 refill card from T-mobile earlier in the week for $199. I just checked T-mobile and unfortunately the $50 refill card is no longer offered with the L9.

I have a prepaid flip phone I leave in the car on T-mobile. I'll use the $50 card to add to that.

I cut my PTel sim card down to a micro sim using a good pair of scissors. It's not difficult, I just looked at how much material was around the micro sim card that came with the L9 and cut my PTel one accordingly. The PTel sim works in the L9 (which is locked to T-mobile).
    Fort
    Does your WiFi work with the T-Mobile/PTEL SIM combination?

Phone
    Galaxy S4 & Optimus G
    Carrier
    Verizon & Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mnalep View Post
    Does your WiFi work with the T-Mobile/PTEL SIM combination?
    Wi-Fi works if the phone has no SIM in it.

Are you referring to Wi-Fi calling?

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Guys,

I just posted over in the "What phone can I use" thread on T-mobile wifi calling and texting. The Optimus L9 only has one sim card slot. A T-mobile sim card will support Wifi calling and texting, a PTel sim card does not support wifi calling and texting.

Wifi (for the browser, play store, etc) works regardless of which sim card is in the phone.

Fort

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    Wi-Fi works if the phone has no SIM in it.

Are you referring to Wi-Fi calling?
    I was referring to what I would call WiFi Video chatting. Someone else mentioned that T-MObile has a 'feature' called 'W-Fi calling', and that these are different applications. What I am thinking of is like the Iphones "Facetime", or Googles GTALK, or SKYPE ability with a T-Mobile GSM phone (or any brand GSM phone) with a PTEL SIM card in it, and I use PTEL's PAYGO service.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    mnalep,

Yes, wifi works with PTel, as does skype, vonage, google voice, etc. The Wifi calling/texting I was referring to is T-mobile specific.

Fort