Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Straight Talk trying to kill the sale of used phones

Feedback Score

Straight Talk trying to kill the sale of used phones

Straight Talk changed their policy on January 9th, so that if you attempt to activate or get any information about a phone that has previously been active, you need to know the previous phone number, the previous activation zip code, and the previous account security questions. If you cannot answer all of these, they will not proceed.

This is a deliberate effort to stop the sale of used phones, on eBay especially.

Feedback Score
    I would suggest it is to stop the sale of STOLEN phones. I support the move if so. The US seems to be in the process of creating a national blacklist for stolen phones but until then it seems each carrier is doing something a little different.

Feedback Score
    wait what??? This is huge. So if i buy a used phone on ebay now I can't activate it without the person giving me all that info? This is ridiculous. I was planning on getting a new phone soon and I just bought 3 months of service through straight talk. I can't imagine people selling stuff on ebay/craigslist are going to want to give away that kind of information.

Phone
    SM-N900A GoPhone Walmart Special, Samsung SGH-I337 GoPhone Walmart Special
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mjstallion View Post
    Straight Talk changed their policy on January 9th, so that if you attempt to activate or get any information about a phone that has previously been active, you need to know the previous phone number, the previous activation zip code, and the previous account security questions. If you cannot answer all of these, they will not proceed.

This is a deliberate effort to stop the sale of used phones, on eBay especially.
    How would Straight Talk knows off hands that the phone you are activating has been previuosly activated with either AT&T , T Mobile, etc. Last time I activated a phone went something like this, I went to Straight Talk webpage, I followed the procedure as posted, I wanted to port my number from a different provider. It wanted to know the provider, my account number from said provider, PIN to access my info from said provider, number I wanted to port, Substitute Serial Number that comes with the RED card. PIN after I scratch off silver coating from Service Card and that was that. I had a text message from ST 1 hour later telling me my new phone number (same # I ported). My service from previous provider stopped working. Now if that device that you were activating has been reported lost/stolen/had insurance claim or the previous owner did not fulfill the contract and never paid ETF, that's another issue. Its a big enough reason why I would never buy a phone from Craigslist or Ebay, I might wind up with a very expensive paper weight. Its just my opinion, your still free to make your choice.
    Also, every time you transmit and the network is making a sweep and your IMEI is blacklisted, that would also cause your phone to quit working.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
    I would suggest it is to stop the sale of STOLEN phones. I support the move if so. The US seems to be in the process of creating a national blacklist for stolen phones but until then it seems each carrier is doing something a little different.
    You are wrong. Straight Talk already blacklists their own IMEIs and ESNs of stolen phones. This new policy is a deliberate attempt at stopping the sale of previously owned handsets.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Straight Talk does not get into the identity of the telephone itself unless you intend to use a CDMA telephone model they sell. They might also get involved with the captive GSM models they sell.
    Earl F. Parrish

Phone
    SM-N900A GoPhone Walmart Special, Samsung SGH-I337 GoPhone Walmart Special
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You are wrong. Straight Talk already blacklists their own IMEIs and ESNs of stolen phones. This new policy is a deliberate attempt at stopping the sale of previously owned handsets.
    If this is the case, then Straight Talk also has the blacklisted IMEI data base. I think its still OK to buy your phone from verified known sources. My guess is if the asking price is to good to be true, then its suspect and buyer at its own risk.

Feedback Score
    Anyone experienced this yet ?

This sounds more like a procedure to remove a ST branded phone from ST's own blacklist ( stolen phone database). Can someone post a reference to this new policy ?

This is terrible if it applies to all used ST branded phones (even those that are not on the stolen phone database)
    Last edited by bamx2; 01-12-2013 at 06:08 PM.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

is policy only on st branded phones.keeps people from having there identity stolen ok.you dont need to know that stuff when activating a byod phone ok.kudos to st for putting a stop to this criminal activity.

Carrier
    verizon
    Feedback Score

Straight Talk trying to kill the sale of used phones

It's basically there way to cut down on fraud. I agree with the previous post, the byod should be fine. I'm not a st expert though but that's my first guess.
    Last edited by johnhere; 01-13-2013 at 06:36 AM.
    Running too many phones

Feedback Score
    This has nothing to do with BYOD. It's only Straight Talk branded phones.

This also does nothing to prevent criminal activity. If your Straight Talk phone is stolen, you call them and they'll blacklist the ESN. This is about needing to know the background of GOOD ESN phones, that have not been reported stolen.

Feedback Score
    I am considering buying an S3 from someone on Craigslist. They are now using the S3 on AT&T. I am just going to swap my Straighttalk SIM into that phone and change the settings. Will this new policy make it impossible or more difficult for me to get the Galaxy S3 functioning? Keep in mind that I am already using an Atrix on ST. Thanks

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    This has nothing to do with BYOD. It's only Straight Talk branded phones.

This also does nothing to prevent criminal activity. If your Straight Talk phone is stolen, you call them and they'll blacklist the ESN. This is about needing to know the background of GOOD ESN phones, that have not been reported stolen.
    it has been documented that if u sell your st branded phone without simm it is basicly a parts phone after that.contact seller for info if needed dont try and steal it from st.if you cant get that from original owner sol.glad st is protecting its cosumers privacy.

Feedback Score
    The thread linked below is before Jan 9th, 2013 but some of the posts mention that the owner can release ("remove") the phone ( ESN/MEID/IMEI ) from their account so that it can activated by a new user. I wonder if it can be done that way (on line) if your phone has been inactive for a long time (ported out/expired). Can someone please post a link to the current ST policy on this subject ?

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...won-t-activate
    Last edited by bamx2; 01-13-2013 at 09:28 AM.

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This is stupid. If the ESN/IMEI is clean, why should we have to provide the previous account holder's info? It's one thing to provide that info of the phone is still active on an account, but for a phone that has been used and the number has been canceled/transferred should't have to be verified
    LG Nexus 4 - T-Mobile (postpaid)
    Nokia Lumia 521 - T-Mobile (prepaid)
    Samsung Galaxy S3 - Sprint (via Ting)
    ZTE Valet - Verizon (via Tracfone)
    Apple iPad 2 - WiFi only

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast