Thread: basic apps questions for LG 840G

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

basic apps questions for LG 840G

I have a couple of rookie questions about apps for the LG 840G. (never used an apps-capable phone before)

What is the difference between a signed app and an unsigned app? Is it just a matter of granting permission to access the web each time it’s used, or is there more to it than that?

I installed Google maps v.2.3.2, but it gives a fatal error in the middle of starting up. Does this just mean I got a bad copy of it, or is there something else I need to install along with the jar file to make it work? Also, is there a more recent version of Google maps?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Avoid unsigned apps if possible because you'll have an alert to acknowledge each time the app needs to access the web, phone file system, or other protected resources.

I installed v2.3.2 signed a few weeks ago and it works fine. Search the main LG840G thread for a link I posted to where I got it from. Google Maps 3.0.2 unsigned versions can be found in wild internet, as google pulled all java versions from their site for some reason.
    Cheers!

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, but I cannot find any versions which will work. I've tried 3 or 4 different downloads, both 2.3.2 and 3.0.2. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not, but they all fail when trying to launch.

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Google appears to have pulled down some of the stuff on their servers, like the terms and conditions page.
    (tfusr19, start the app, go to help, and then t&c and you'll see it won't load now).

Some of those pages are needed for install, but not later use. So Gmaps installed now works, but new installs are not working.

As for a signed app. The JAR file is the same. The JAD file contains info about the app and some of the things it can contain is a checksum and code signing certificates. The 2 together verify the integrity of the app and that it can be trusted.

Signing an app is possible, but certificates from the big authorities (like Verisign @ $500/year) aren't cheap.
    I don't know how the phone would treat an alternate certificate.

Feedback Score
    ST Dog,
    I was wondering whether the T&C missing would cause an install to fail, but did not want to lose my app to test it. Thanks for confirming that Google Maps cannot be installed now , even from the archive copies we've found - that's really too bad.

We'll have to be on the lookout for a replacement for Google Maps.

Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Google appears to have pulled down some of the stuff on their servers, like the terms and conditions page.
    (tfusr19, start the app, go to help, and then t&c and you'll see it won't load now).

Some of those pages are needed for install, but not later use. So Gmaps installed now works, but new installs are not working.

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    ST Dog,
    I was wondering whether the T&C missing would cause an install to fail, but did not want to lose my app to test it. Thanks for confirming that Google Maps cannot be installed now , even from the archive copies we've found

I haven't confirmed it my self, but the reports I've seen elsewhere are that the install is failling on the T&C acceptance because they won't load. The failure message they see matches what I see when trying to view the T&C with the app now.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    ST Dog,
    Thanks for the explanation. I feel better in one sense, as I was concerned that I was causing an error myself. But that is too bad that Google doesn't seem to be supporting this any more. I guess they figure we non-Android/iPhone people are a small minority now. Oh well, it's not something I would have used all that often... just occasionally while on vacations and such. Anyway, thanks again.