Phones
    S4, wife S5, partner Galaxy Light
    S4
    wife S5
    Carrier
    T-M
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile preparing for BB10 release by end of March

It will be almost 2 years since BB released their last phones if this does come out on time- a lifetime in the smart phone business.

T-Mobile USA Prepping for BlackBerry 10 Launch

Published on: 15th Jan 2013

*Research in Motion may hit their deadline of getting its forthcoming BlackBerry 10 devices into retail stores by the end of the first-quarter of this year, if a leaked roadmap from T-Mobile USA is accurate.

The leaked document appears to show the new smartphone going on sale at the US mobile network on the 27th March, just under two months after the company is due to announce the launch of the handset.

The document is a bit vague about the identity of the handset, describing it as the "BlackBerry Lisbon", while the only known handset the company is working on is the more popularly known BlackBerry Z10. It would not be hugely unusual for T-Mobile USA to launch a modified variant of the mainstream handset, and give it a different name though.

Other US networks that have previously confirmed plans to sell BlackBerry 10 devices include Verizon Wireless and AT&T.

The new OS and smartphone will be shown off on the 30th January.

On the web: TmoNews
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    3 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text. 1G data on each line . $90/mo. We have had no landline in 8 years

Phone
    Z10, Bold
    Feedback Score
    If they can get wi-fi calling working (whether software or hardware based) on any of their latest devices, I will consider getting one.

Phone
    BlackBerry Passport
    Feedback Score
    Some RIM managers have openly suggested that the phones would be available on the 4th or 5th of February. What date the carriers release it to their clientele is entirely up to them but RIM is pressuring the carriers to release the phone as close to those dates as possible. Trouble is, it's not RIM's decision but the carriers. As far as RIM is concerned, all carriers in North America are good to go first week in February and are a bit put off by what look like deliberately delays.

Phones
    S4
    wife S5
    Carrier
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jboard55 View Post
    If they can get wi-fi calling working (whether software or hardware based) on any of their latest devices, I will consider getting one.
    I agree 100%. Their last releases on OS7 did have software based wifi calling. At least the 9900 did.
    If it doesn't, I'll switch to an Android. All TM Androids (I think all) have wifi calling the past year or two. I use it when overseas to avoid very expensive roaming costs. Also at my son's home.

Phones
    S4
    wife S5
    Carrier
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mann Incognito View Post
    Some RIM managers have openly suggested that the phones would be available on the 4th or 5th of February. What date the carriers release it to their clientele is entirely up to them but RIM is pressuring the carriers to release the phone as close to those dates as possible. Trouble is, it's not RIM's decision but the carriers. As far as RIM is concerned, all carriers in North America are good to go first week in February and are a bit put off by what look like deliberately delays.
    I think you are wrong. RIM hasn't announced phones will be available within a week of introduction. Can you give an "offical" quote on this. All I have seen is by "first quarter" - which normally means by March 31st.

Phone
    BlackBerry Passport
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikethaler View Post
    I think you are wrong. RIM hasn't announced phones will be available within a week of introduction. Can you give an "offical" quote on this. All I have seen is by "first quarter" - which normally means by March 31st.
    If you really want to get pedantic about it all then end of 1Q really means June 30th. RIM hasn't suggested an "end of " date for several months now and I'm sure if you could be bothered to scroll trough Thornsten Heins', (et al) speeches from the last couple of months you'll confirm what I mentioned previously. You find speeches alluding to releasing the phone on the 14th of January and having a staggered launch; one for major markets and one for emerging or re-emerging markets. After that RIM's tune changes and they start talking about "within a week" of launch. A couple of weeks ago that changes yet again with Heins talking about actual dates; the 4th or 5th of February. Now they're saying that the phones will be released to the carriers on the 5th and RIM would ideally like carriers to have it in inventory "at latest" by the 8th. POS materials are already in the carriers possession and dummy phones have been received by most. There is no excuse for the carriers not to have this in inventory by the 6th.

Quite frankly I don't give a carp whether you believe me or not. If you can't be bothered to do even modicum of your own snooping around, I can't be bothered to try and impart what I know.

Another thing, American carriers are definitely not as enthusiastic about this launch as others are around the world and it wouldn't surprise me to see Canadian and British carriers, at least, beat their US counterparts to the punch.

That is the last I'm going to say on the issue. In 10 days the launch is happening and I'm either proved wrong or right. I'll be at the launch in NYC and then at the Enterprise sessions the next week and I'm so past caring what people think of my opinion, especially online.

Phones
    S4
    wife S5
    Carrier
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    Mr. Incognito -
    Why don't you tell us what you really think! I'm just a poor end user and didn't state anything first hand - I pointed out what I knew was only what others have posted. I see you are from Toronto - so you may get "vibes" that us mere mortals don't get.

Phones
    S4
    wife S5
    Carrier
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    JUST GOT the following SMS on my BB from TM

========
    ----- SMS Text ------
    Received: Jan 21, 2013 09:54
    Subject: Free T-Mobile Msg: We're the only...

Free T-Mobile Msg: We're the only carrier with a nationwide network to offer Wi-Fi calling. See how to connect @ http://bit.ly/13gH2Wr. Capable device req'd.
    =======

So it looks like not only will wifi calling will continue, maybe tey'll finally promote it as a very useful tool for those of us who travel overseas. (Free roaming when on wifi.)

Los Angeles - San Diego, CA / St. Albans, VT
    Phones
    RIM BlackBerry Q10
    Apple iPhone 5S
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carriers
    Pacific Bell Wireless / T-Mobile USA / MetroPCS
    Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    It will be almost 2 years since BB released their last phones if this does come out on time- a lifetime in the smart phone business.

T-Mobile USA Prepping for BlackBerry 10 Launch

Published on: 15th Jan 2013

*Research in Motion may hit their deadline of getting its forthcoming BlackBerry 10 devices into retail stores by the end of the first-quarter of this year, if a leaked roadmap from T-Mobile USA is accurate.

The leaked document appears to show the new smartphone going on sale at the US mobile network on the 27th March, just under two months after the company is due to announce the launch of the handset.

The document is a bit vague about the identity of the handset, describing it as the "BlackBerry Lisbon", while the only known handset the company is working on is the more popularly known BlackBerry Z10. It would not be hugely unusual for T-Mobile USA to launch a modified variant of the mainstream handset, and give it a different name though.

Other US networks that have previously confirmed plans to sell BlackBerry 10 devices include Verizon Wireless and AT&T.

The new OS and smartphone will be shown off on the 30th January.

On the web: TmoNews
    I would like to see the radio specifications and pricing before I decide on either the T-Mobile USA or AT&T version. In particular of the former, I'm curious if the Lisbon/Z10 will be introduced without any subsidy pricing. Another thread in this forum, suggests the off contract pricing to be between $449-499, but my concern is if T-Mobile USA will inflate the off contract price by as much as $200 regardless if they introduce their new business model or not by the time Lisbon/Z10 is released by T-Mobile USA.

Phone
    BlackBerry Passport
    Feedback Score
    Mr. Incognito -
    Why don't you tell us what you really think! I'm just a poor end user and didn't state anything first hand - I pointed out what I knew was only what others have posted. I see you are from Toronto - so you may get "vibes" that us mere mortals don't get.
    When I first read your comment I understood it as you accusing me of lying. I just re-read it and it came across differently. My apologies.

Phones
    S4
    wife S5
    Carrier
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    I would like to see the radio specifications and pricing before I decide on either the T-Mobile USA or AT&T version. In particular of the former, I'm curious if the Lisbon/Z10 will be introduced without any subsidy pricing. Another thread in this forum, suggests the off contract pricing to be between $449-499, but my concern is if T-Mobile USA will inflate the off contract price by as much as $200 regardless if they introduce their new business model or not by the time Lisbon/Z10 is released by T-Mobile USA.
    Don't ATT and TM use diff. freq. for some traffic? I would assume both would offer LTE. TM seems to be trying to migrate to a "no subsidy" profile.

Phone
    Z10, Bold
    Feedback Score
    http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/...BlackBerry-Z10

Based on this page from their website, it is not showing wi-fi calling as a feature. I know it hasn't officially come out yet but I hope they can add this at a later date as some update. It still looks good though and I would probably just find a way around it when it is sold.

Phone
    BlackBerry Passport
    Feedback Score
    WiFi calling will be available on the Z10 on T-Mobile but only after launch. Expect an update a couple of weeks to a month after.

Phones
    S4
    wife S5
    Carrier
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/...BlackBerry-Z10

Based on this page from their website, it is not showing wi-fi calling as a feature. I know it hasn't officially come out yet but I hope they can add this at a later date as some update. It still looks good though and I would probably just find a way around it when it is sold.
    That would be strange. They recently posted a msg touting the virtues of wifi calling and roaming for free overseas. There is one Canadian carrier that does "UMA" - maybe a post in that forum would get an answer. When the BB OS7 phones were released about 19 months ago, they announced wifi calling would be coming in a month. It took 4 months before the OS was updated to enable wifi calling.

Phone
    BlackBerry Passport
    Feedback Score
    That would be strange. They recently posted a msg touting the virtues of wifi calling and roaming for free overseas. There is one Canadian carrier that does "UMA" - maybe a post in that forum would get an answer. When the BB OS7 phones were released about 19 months ago, they announced wifi calling would be coming in a month. It took 4 months before the OS was updated to enable wifi calling.
    I think they'll be a little quicker about it this time. From what I understand they initially omitted WiFi calling from the Z10 and then suddenly changed their minds which meant delaying launch by a few weeks or launching on schedule and running an update later. They were in quite a fight with AT&T to see who would launch first and they couldn't justify launching any later. Even so, it looks like AT&T may have won this fight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast