Thread: AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 - unlocked now with T-Mobile - internet calling...

Device(s)
    Droid 2 Global
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 - unlocked now with T-Mobile - internet calling...

I just got the phone provisioned with the T-Mobile SIM card.

Well first.. they lied to me about coverage - claiming "excellent coverage" and 4G. Granted since this is a backup phone, I did the BYOD and a pre-paid $70 plan - which is like 4GB of 4G, unlimited calling, provisioned for internent/router calling, etc. Instead, I get no coverage or -100dB-105dB and EDGE... that aside...

On this AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 now on T-Mobile, what do I need to set to make internet calls over my router -- as coverage is not what they claimed.

i.e. what settings and what needs to be done.

I'm normally a VZW customer (main line) and use my network extender which it just connects to automatically.

I know T-Mobile moved away from UMA to ISM? I think... anyhow... anyone done the same and can provide from information on this. Talking to T-mobile's tech support is like giving a dime to a homeless guy a bus and asking the same question....

only reason I'm even wasting time on this - is that I love the Samsung S2... and I've had everyphone on the market, right up to the iphone 5 on VZW .... but iOS is so restrictive to what they let you do vs. android it's a pita. Had their claims of 4G was true, the iphone would be my back up. Both are the perfect size (pocket size) 4.5"x2.3-4ish x very thin. Had AT&T worked (corporate account) - I'd have stuck with this phone. The previous backup - VZW Razr Maxx, a great phone, but another one of these monster 5"+ phones. If I had a purse, great.... but I don't and pocket space is valuable.

So any help on this subject of how to make internet calls with this device on t-mobile would be greatly appreciated.

thank you,
    damon
    Last edited by edamon; 01-17-2013 at 08:41 AM.

Feedback Score

Same problem in reverse

Quote Originally Posted by edamon View Post
    I just got the phone provisioned with the T-Mobile SIM card.

Well first.. they lied to me about coverage - claiming "excellent coverage" and 4G. Granted since this is a backup phone, I did the BYOD and a pre-paid $70 plan - which is like 4GB of 4G, unlimited calling, provisioned for internent/router calling, etc. Instead, I get no coverage or -100dB-105dB and EDGE... that aside...

On this AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 now on T-Mobile, what do I need to set to make internet calls over my router -- as coverage is not what they claimed.

i.e. what settings and what needs to be done.

I'm normally a VZW customer (main line) and use my network extender which it just connects to automatically.

I know T-Mobile moved away from UMA to ISM? I think... anyhow... anyone done the same and can provide from information on this. Talking to T-mobile's tech support is like giving a dime to a homeless guy a bus and asking the same question....

only reason I'm even wasting time on this - is that I love the Samsung S2... and I've had everyphone on the market, right up to the iphone 5 on VZW .... but iOS is so restrictive to what they let you do vs. android it's a pita. Had their claims of 4G was true, the iphone would be my back up. Both are the perfect size (pocket size) 4.5"x2.3-4ish x very thin. Had AT&T worked (corporate account) - I'd have stuck with this phone. The previous backup - VZW Razr Maxx, a great phone, but another one of these monster 5"+ phones. If I had a purse, great.... but I don't and pocket space is valuable.

So any help on this subject of how to make internet calls with this device on t-mobile would be greatly appreciated.

thank you,
    damon
    Damon,
    I have had similar problem (hotspot issue, actually) since unlocking my TMo Samsung Galaxy S2 and porting to AT&T. I see this thread is rather old. I would be willing to swap phones with you to solve both problems at once.

Feedback Score
    i had similar problems but i had it fixed.. i will post the fix later