Thread: Memory card data LG840G

Feedback Score

Memory card data LG840G

I want to install a larger (4G) Micro SD card in my LG840G phone. My question is, I have installed a few apps and transferred my contact #'s to the phone already with the provided 2G card. Can I simply transfer the data from the 2G to the 4G? Will the apps already installed still work or will I have to install them again? Are the apps and contacts now stored in the "Phone" memory and not on the SD card?
    Thanks for any help.....

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    The contacts are in the phone and/or SIM as are text messages.

You may be able to copy everything form the old card to the new one (folders and files) and the apps still work. You'll want to do that for all the other files anyway.

The apps could be on the phone or the card. You should be able to check and move them (based on experience with other LG phones).

I'd try copying first, and if that doesn't work, then move the apps to the phone, swap cards, then move them back.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    The contacts are in the phone and/or SIM as are text messages.

You may be able to copy everything form the old card to the new one (folders and files) and the apps still work. You'll want to do that for all the other files anyway.

The apps could be on the phone or the card. You should be able to check and move them (based on experience with other LG phones).

I'd try copying first, and if that doesn't work, then move the apps to the phone, swap cards, then move them back.
    Thanks for your response ST Dog. I got a PM from someone at TracFone, who watches this Forum(imagine that!) and was told I would be OK with just swapping the cards, which I have done without any issues! Now I have a 4G card in the phone. I did find out, once the "Apps" are installed, they are not on the card anymore,only the "installer" is left on the card. The "Contact List" still appears on the card though. I just copy the contents of the card card to my computer then re-copied them to my new card. I put a lot of music on the new card. Now I am interested in knowing if the triple minute phones get triple minutes under the "Monthly Plans" that TracFone offers? I can't seem to find any definitive answers on that......
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    Yes, the monthly plan minutes will triple. It's a normal minute purchase.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Yes, the monthly plan minutes will triple. It's a normal minute purchase.
    Thank you Lisme. Also confirmed in a PM from TracFone....

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bnwrx View Post
    I did find out, once the "Apps" are installed, they are not on the card anymore,only the "installer" is left on the card. The "Contact List" still appears on the card though. I just copy the contents of the card card to my computer then re-copied them to my new card.

If you backed-up/copied the contacts in VCD format and imported them to the phone, then that file is still where you put it, but the imported info is in the phone. (Try it. Remove the card and check the phone's contact list)

As for the apps, other LG phones have an option to move the installed app to the SD card. Go to the app listring in the menu, select an app, and look at the options (like delete and properties). See if there is an option to move. My LG500G could do so, and I recall LG800G users saying they had the option too.
    Not guaranteed of course (my Samsung S390G doesn't have such an option).

Feedback Score

As for the apps, other LG phones have an option to move the installed app to the SD card. Go to the app listring in the menu, select an app, and look at the options (like delete and properties). See if there is an option to move. My LG500G could do so, and I recall LG800G users saying they had the option too.
    Not guaranteed of course (my Samsung S390G doesn't have such an option).
    Moved apps on an LG840G and LG800G to SD card, then swapped SD cards between both phones. Neither phone could see the apps on the swapped SD cards, so swapping SD cards won't transfer the apps over, they have to be reinstalled.

If you get this to work, I'd like to know how. Swapping back SD cards to original phones, the phones could see the apps on their original SD cards just fine.
    Cheers!

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    Moved apps on an LG840G and LG800G to SD card, then swapped SD cards between both phones. Neither phone could see the apps on the swapped SD cards, so swapping SD cards won't transfer the apps over, they have to be reinstalled.
    Right, but what if you copy the data from one card to another.

Take you LG840G, with an app on the SD card A.
    On a computer, copy the contents of card A to another SD card, B.
    Put card B in the phone.

Can you run the app now?

As to bnwrx's post, the app is most certainly moved to the card (not just the installer) as you can not run it without the card.
    Install the app, move it to the card with the menu option, remove the card.
    The app won't run.
    Put the card back in and it will.

Feedback Score
    Right, but what if you copy the data from one card to another.
    Copy what data?

I'd like to copy as little as possible to prove that an app installed on phone A, then moved to SD card A can be moved to phone B to without having to reinstall the app on phone B, but only by moving SD card A into phone B.

Take you LG840G, with an app on the SD card A.
    On a computer, copy the contents of card A to another SD card, B.
    Put card B in the phone.
    How is that different than taking the entire SD card A from phone A and putting it into phone B?

I had moved all phone A apps to SD card A and all phone B apps to SD card B.
    Then, when I put SD card A into phone B, phone B still showed the list of apps that were on SD card B. From phone B, when I clicked on an app from the app list, phone B detected that the app was not on SD card (since SD card A was in phone B) and prompted if I wanted to remove the app.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    Copy what data?
    I don't recall now. When you install an app it creates a few files on the card.
    Start with a blank card. Move one app to the card, then examine the contents with a computer.
    Move a 2nd app to the card and look again.
    Delete the first app, install it again, and move it to the card.
    Are the files add to the card the same as the first time?
    (As I recall they will be different)

I'd like to copy as little as possible to prove that an app installed on phone A, then moved to SD card A can be moved to phone B to without having to reinstall the app on phone B, but only by moving SD card A into phone B.
    Moving the app from phone to phone is not the same. The phone has some internal information about the installed apps so I don' know that you can move an app form phone to phone that way.

The data created on the card for example would be named differently (it was on my LG500G compared with my wife's LG500G).

I had moved all phone A apps to SD card A and all phone B apps to SD card B.
    Then, when I put SD card A into phone B, phone B still showed the list of apps that were on SD card B. From phone B, when I clicked on an app from the app list, phone B detected that the app was not on SD card (since SD card A was in phone B) and prompted if I wanted to remove the app.
    The initial question was about replacing the SD card on a single phone.
    In my example only one phone is used, copying all the installed data to the new card for use in the same phone.

If you put that card in a different phone, the second phone doesn't know anything about the installed apps or the naming of the data files. Even if the same app was previously installed on that phone (on a different card) the file names are probably different.

bnwrx stated that only the installer was on the card, and I was pointing out you can move the installed files to the card. You agree that when you move the app to the card and then remove the card, the app doesn't work. Thus the run time files are on the card, yes?