View Poll Results: What is the next improvement Public Mobile should launch?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Advanced Androids

2 16.67%
  • BlackBerry 10

5 41.67%
  • Expanded network coverage

4 33.33%
  • LTE phones

1 8.33%
  • LTE tablets and modems

0 0%
  • Subsidized phones

0 0%
  • Windows Phone

0 0%

Thread: What is the next improvement Public Mobile should launch?

Carrier
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score

What is the next improvement Public Mobile should launch?

It seems like since the Android launch and Niagara expansion last summer, Public Mobile has not had any exciting news. Their main selling points are Montréal coverage and Siren Music service. For many, however, these do not matter for various reasons. It could be because the phone lineup is not very impressive, because the coverage isn't there, or for various other reasons.

Here is a poll with seven features that Public Mobile should consider adding. Which would be the best?

• Advanced Androids: All of Public Mobile's current Androids are single-core and are designed for basic users. The Kyocera Rise and the ZTE "Warp" N860 are currently the only brand name devices offered by the carrier. Would it be a good idea for Public Mobile to add powerful Androids with more cores, RAM, internal storage, graphics power and other such features?
    • BlackBerry 10: Research In Motion failed to be taken seriously with its disappointing BlackBerry 7 devices over the years. It seems odd that even those, which seem better build than Public's generic handsets, did not make it into the carrier's lineup. But BlackBerry 10 is completely different, packed with features with the corporate world in mind. Is the platform worth adding to Public Mobile's offerings?
    • Expanded network coverage: Public Mobile's network is currently confined to GTA, Montréal and the Niagara Region. It is still missing most cities in between, including Ottawa and many others where Wind is currently located. Should Public launch more sites in places already served by Wind, or should they aim for more exclusive cities?
    • LTE phones: Sprint, Public Mobile's roaming partner in the United States, has already launched LTE phones that run on the same Block G spectrum as Public Mobile. Would LTE phones at Public Mobile be a good idea?
    • LTE tablet and modems: Wind Mobile is currently testing the sale of subsidized Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 tablets, while similar offerings at Vidéotron seem to show promise. Mobilicity did sell the BlackBerry PlayBook at one point, but did not encourage it to be bundled with a hotspot, so since then, that carrier no longer sells tablets. Did you know that Sprint's LTE iPad Mini, iPad Retina and Samsung Tab 2 10.1 all connect on the same Block G spectrum which Public Mobile purchased at a bargain? It would be exciting to have standalone mobile broadband service over high speed LTE, wouldn't it?
    • Subsidized phones: Wind's WINDtab offers customers a great discount on phones (and also a Samsung tablet subsidy option) in exchange for a three-year commitment to maintain service. Such a lengthy contract would seem unreasonable for Public's budget-priced hardware. How would a year or two on contract sound like, though?
    • Windows Phone: Featured on less than 5% of smartphones, Windows Phone is a newcomer that sold slowly during the 7.x era. Virgin Mobile Canada, however, confirmed that the HTC Windows Phone 8S sold like hotcakes. Could this strategy work for Public Mobile too? Their partner ZTE plans to release a Windows Phone 8 device with a 1080p, 5.9-inch screen. To me, that seems like an overkill phablet, but enough people are buying the similarly sized Samsung Note II. Maybe ZTE's Windows devices will sell well after all?

Please vote for the addition you would like the most!

Phone
    BlackBerry Z30
    Feedback Score
    I voted for BB10 simply because it'll be the most complete, efficient and powerful OS out there by the time it's launched. Having said that, RIM's hardware is the best built and hardest wearing out there and the handset price will reflect this. My own thoughts on the pricing has the Z10 around $600, but rather suspect rumours have suggested between $700-$800 and I don't think either of those price points fit into Public's demographics.

Carrier
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mann Incognito View Post
    I voted for BB10 simply because it'll be the most complete, efficient and powerful OS out there by the time it's launched. Having said that, RIM's hardware is the best built and hardest wearing out there and the handset price will reflect this. My own thoughts on the pricing has the Z10 around $600, but rather suspect rumours have suggested between $700-$800 and I don't think either of those price points fit into Public's demographics.
    Thanks for voting, Mann! It's great to see the love for BlackBerry 10, with the majority of voters so far wanting to see it available on Public Mobile. i would want to see those available at Public Mobile. Perhaps the only effective method would be to sell it in a à la Mobilicity bundle: Public sells the phone for $500, but includes three months of Talk + Text + Internet + Siren service for free, a $150 value according to them. Still pricey, but those who want it can buy it. BlackBerry 7 devices would make a great fit for those with a smaller budget. A classic BlackBerry for $150 or less would be a huge improvement over generic QWERTY phones! :-)

Anyway, i'm hoping to see more people voting! i'll sit out of the voting round because this is my poll, after all. If i allowed myself to, i would vote for expanded network coverage. Several people in Ottawa only use their phone to talk and text, so why not?
    --
    LABcrab
    Huge fan of local programming! Helping out with TV Rogers cameras, sound board and more!
    Free over-the-air television: 13 out of 14 channels!
    WIND with Better Together Savings: $10 Clever / $20 Infinite Laptop (with a fully subsidized tablet!) / $25 Provincial / $35 Wish

Carrier
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    well... it makes sense to vote for what is possible...

Public does not have LTE and provided amount of spectrum they have - I don't see how it is possible to switch to LTE without harming non LTE customers.
    BB10 as well as any other BB h/w cannot work on Public's network unless there is a version i'm not aware of. Same applies for any other vote regarding new phones - there is very limited selection of public compatible phones in this world...

Feedback Score
    Even if they launched an LTE network, would there be any phones compatible with it? I mean other than some random ZTE phone...

Phone
    Blackberry 9700 Bold, Blackberry 9800 Torch
    Carriers
    Bell Mobility
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sprint in the US has some LTE phones but in general Public has not been targeting data users (as evidenced by basic phones)

Network coverage seems most likely and here's hoping they expand westward into areas like KW or Guelph
    It is sad I need to state the obvious but some people just don't get it. Any posts I make are my own OPINIONS and in no way represent the views of my employer