Thread: Snail data on new proclaim

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Snail data on new proclaim

Just picked up a galaxy proclaim which runs on Verizon. Was wondering if anyone has one and what's the data speeds like for you? Mine, on its first day, is slow as a snail. Data connections error out and web browsing or apps barely wanna work. I live in a good Verizon area, we even have LTE here so plenty of a good 3G network to use. Could it maybe be new activation hiccups or just phone.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    might just take a while to het your accout provisioned.wait till morning and try again.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I managed to get speedtest.net downloaded and the fastest it could pull in was like 311kbps down and 118kbps up. The other times were like 70-90 down and 100 up. If that's the case Im going to buy the merit and be back on at&t.

Carriers
    Straight Talk (ATT SIM)
    Feedback Score

Snail data on new proclaim

Quote Originally Posted by benjamin.kelley View Post
    I managed to get speedtest.net downloaded and the fastest it could pull in was like 311kbps down and 118kbps up. The other times were like 70-90 down and 100 up. If that's the case Im going to buy the merit and be back on at&t.
    Keep in mind these apps are not accurate through straight talks proxy it's best to time how long it takes to load a YouTube video or file and time it not a website or test.

Phones
    Ascend Y, Proclaim, Ascend Plus
    Shorty, LG290C, VX5500, S380C, 235C, 440G
    401G
    Carriers
    America Movil, Virgin Mobile
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I activated and used a Proclaim for two weeks before returning it. Data was quick and snappy at first, around 1.2 mbps. The more streaming of youtube and music I did the more it slowed down. It buffered and hiccuped every 5 seconds at one point. I installed Ookla speedtest and the first reading (before I started streaming) was the 1.2. Every speed test I did, one or two each day thereafter, the download speed decreased significantly. By the 4th day I was getting 89k down!

Here is my theory: "They" have streaming detection on Verizon's network and throttle you. The speedtest uses quite a bit of data, triggering more throttle. Take a break from streaming and the throttle lets up.

I then went a few days w/o streaming and tried to listen to music again. This time I was using the Play music app that streams my collection of cd's from the cloud. It worked with out any hiccups. I decided to return the Proclaim while I could but am considering going back to it.

Just my thoughts on what happened to me.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Well, I talked to friends on Verizon who are on 3G only devices, they have the same issues. Apparently in my town, verizons 3G towers are pretty heavily loaded, even having LTE here. I notice at peak hours its slow, takes about 4 mines to download a 3MB app from google play where when I had the BYOD, I could download a 10MB app in under a minutes on AT&T. So maybe with more people going to LTE, it will lighten up a bit with time.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Re: Snail data on new proclaim

Well after countless attempts to fix this data issue, I factory reset it and to my surprise, it fixed my data....so far. Its achieving almost 2mbps down where before I couldn't hit 500kbps. And data has yet to go in and out or drop like it did before.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using HowardForums