Thread: MMS on iPhone 3GS iOS5 - Sim swap not working

Feedback Score

MMS on iPhone 3GS iOS5 - Sim swap not working

iPhone 3GS unlocked AT&T (I think -- see below), APN already set up using Apple's iPhone Configuration Utility. Been through the wiki tutorial here (sorry can't post the link to it because my acct here is new) several times and tinkered around on my own looking at just about every resource I can find on the web, but no matter what SIM card I use (AT&T, T-Mobile, Straight Talk, or none at all) I NEVER see "Cellular Data Network" appear in Settings -> General -> Network. I'm considering updating to iOS6 just to see if I get any different results, but I really don't want to have to do that.

One note: Neither the AT&T nor the T-Mobile SIM cards I'm using are currently active. Not sure if they should be or not.

As for the iPhone 3GS being unlocked... I THINK it is, but am not sure. I went through the process to have it unlocked by AT&T remotely, but I'm not sure if it really happened or not. I had an old AT&T SIM card in the phone at the time, but there was no service on the SIM card, so I don't know if it was able to complete the unlock or not.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    you are not unlocked.when you put the tmo sim it should bring up the cellular data to allow you to change the settings.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cooter55 View Post
    you are not unlocked.when you put the tmo sim it should bring up the cellular data to allow you to change the settings.
    Hmm, I was afraid of that. Thanks. So I guess you have to have an active AT&T card in the phone for 5+ days while waiting for the unlock process to happen. Ugh. Then I have no way of unlocking it. Maybe I'll take it to a store and see if they can do it.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Unlocking of iPhones is done through a restore in iTunes. An active SIM card is not required, but one must have an Internet connection. AT&T does not unlock iPhones itself. It sends the request to Apple for them to add the iPhone's serial number/IMEI to Apple's whitelist for unlocking. The only locked iPhone model which will work with the SIM card swap is the iPhone 4. All other models must be unlocked first.
    Earl F. Parrish

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm pretty sure that the SIM swap trick only works on the iPhone 4S and 5?

Carrier
    AT&T Gophone
    Feedback Score

MMS on iPhone 3GS iOS5 - Sim swap not working

Just jailbreak it and install the apn program and it automatically brings up the menu.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Re: MMS on iPhone 3GS iOS5 - Sim swap not working

Quote Originally Posted by Mephisto Zap View Post
    Just jailbreak it and install the apn program and it automatically brings up the menu.
    Agreed, if you are on ios 5, jailbreak and install tetherme.

Sent from my HTC One V using HowardForums

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Guavaman View Post
    Hmm, I was afraid of that. Thanks. So I guess you have to have an active AT&T card in the phone for 5+ days while waiting for the unlock process to happen. Ugh. Then I have no way of unlocking it. Maybe I'll take it to a store and see if they can do it.
    there are other services avail on the web or ebay

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    Unlocking of iPhones is done through a restore in iTunes. An active SIM card is not required, but one must have an Internet connection. AT&T does not unlock iPhones itself. It sends the request to Apple for them to add the iPhone's serial number/IMEI to Apple's whitelist for unlocking. The only locked iPhone model which will work with the SIM card swap is the iPhone 4. All other models must be unlocked first.
    Thanks for the clarification! I did do a backup and restore after getting word from AT&T that the unlock was complete. However, I did not see a message on the phone saying it was unlocked when I restored it as I was told I should see. The computer I restored it from does have an internet connection. I will try this again and see what happens. I might have to contact Apple.

Re: Jailbreaking... I'd rather not have to do this. I think I would rather just not have MMS than to jailbreak the phone.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Feedback Score
    Okay, I'm up and running with MMS! Turns out the phone wasn't unlocked like efparri said. I decided to try the backup/restore again since AT&T already told me the unlock was completed. I updated iTunes, backed up the phone, then I wiped the phone (Settings -> General -> Reset), then restored the backup from iTunes. Lo and behold, this time I did receive the message saying the iPhone was unlocked!

The next step was to follow the wiki and do the SIM swap trick. I had to do it 3 times because the first two times I followed the 3Gs instructions and MMS didn't stick past a reboot. The 3rd time I followed the 4s instructions (modifying it for iOS5) and it worked even after a reboot. I added the fully working procedure to the wiki in the 3Gs section so if anyone has trouble they can follow that. (I'd like to post a link to the wiki page for anyone who runs across this by I'm not allowed to post links yet).