Thread: Telcel America vs Straight Talk BYOD

Feedback Score

Telcel America vs Straight Talk BYOD

Both are same price, run by same company, seem to be mostly the same service.

Except Telcel America offers Free International Texts included in their $45/mo.

Anyone tried it?

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    It appears that the GSM models are based upon use of the T-Mobile network and the CDMA model is based upon the Sprint network.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    Very interesting... Thanks for catching that Earl. Everything else on the internet reads "it's Straight Talk for Mexican nationals," and I just caught that it offered free international texts, and was prepared to switch for that.

Carrier
    Net10 (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score

Telcel America vs Straight Talk BYOD

I can send texts to China using my ST AT&T SIM. I'm on the $45/month plan.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The cost of international text messages is not included for any Straight Talk telephones except those running on the Sprint network. If you purchase the $60 plan, international voice calling is included to selected foreign destinations.
    Excerpt:
    Straight Talk Service does not allow international text messaging except on certain limited phones as described in the phone packaging (currently available with specially marked Samsung Galaxy Precedent™ (M828C), LG Optimus Q™ (L55C) and LG Optimus Black™ (L85C) sold by Straight Talk). Attempting to send international messages where not permitted or supported could result in Service deactivation. In the event of a deactivation, your minute, text and Mobile Web Access balance previous to deactivation will be cleared from the account.
    Last edited by efparri; 01-21-2013 at 02:00 PM.

Carrier
    Whoever's the cheapest at the moment
    Feedback Score
    Interesting. I checked the FAQ's, and it says the phones won't roam though. But then looking at the coverage maps, it looks like the "non-Android" map (T-Mobile, I guess) includes T-Mobile's coverage area with roaming. I wonder if TelCel's BYOD SIM plan will work with roaming.

Carrier
    Net10 (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Attempting to send international messages where not permitted or supported could result in Service deactivation. In the event of a deactivation, your minute, text and Mobile Web Access balance previous to deactivation will be cleared from the account.
    Okay, I'm going to stop texting my brother in China. They haven't cut me off yet, but I don't text him too much.