Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AT&T iphone 4s on Page Plus?

Feedback Score

AT&T iphone 4s on Page Plus?

Hi,
    Thanks in advance for your help-I'm asking a lot of questions and getting more confused.... I have a chance to get an AT&T iphone 4s from a relative who's upgrading. I thought that it couldn't be used with Page Plus because AT&T is GSM and Page Plus is CDMA. But isn't the iphone 4s GSM & CDMA? Does this mean it can be used? My head is spinning. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratochappy View Post
    Hi,
    Thanks in advance for your help-I'm asking a lot of questions and getting more confused.... I have a chance to get an AT&T iphone 4s from a relative who's upgrading. I thought that it couldn't be used with Page Plus because AT&T is GSM and Page Plus is CDMA. But isn't the iphone 4s GSM & CDMA? Does this mean it can be used? My head is spinning. Can anyone help? Thanks.
    AT&T uses GSM technology, and Vzw/PPC uses CDMA, so no, an AT&T iPhone won't work on PPC. The Vzw iPhone 4S has GSM capabilities for global use. An AT&T iPhone 4S has no CDMA, as far as I know.
    Last edited by Boz1; 01-19-2013 at 08:46 PM.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Carriers
    TMo 4G/mon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    An AT&T iPhone 4S has no CDMA, as far as I know.
    I believe with the 4s, Apple made a single phone for all carriers. That said, I've no idea how/if one can unlock it to use on PP.

Phones
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    Galaxy SIII (Ting)
    Misc T-Mobile Prepaid phones
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    T-Mobile PP
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by aurora40 View Post
    I believe with the 4s, Apple made a single phone for all carriers. That said, I've no idea how/if one can unlock it to use on PP.
    Yep, but the GSM ones have a serial in the non hybrid MEID/IMEI 99xxx range, so unfortunately it's not in the valid MEID range to where it will activate on PP. The GSM 4s' have a CDMA radio in them. Try removing the sim and calling the *2280x numbers. You should get the VZW and Spring error recordings.
    - acadiel

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aurora40 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by acadiel View Post
    Yep, but the GSM ones have a serial in the non hybrid MEID/IMEI 99xxx range, so unfortunately it's not in the valid MEID range to where it will activate on PP. The GSM 4s' have a CDMA radio in them. Try removing the sim and calling the *2280x numbers. You should get the VZW and Spring error recordings.
    Good info! Thanks!

If only someone could figure out how to get the AT&T iPhone 4S to actually work on PPC!

Phones
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    Galaxy SIII (Ting)
    Misc T-Mobile Prepaid phones
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    T-Mobile PP
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Good info! Thanks!

If only someone could figure out how to get the AT&T iPhone 4S to actually work on PPC!
    I don't keep up with the flashing scene, but I wonder if the GSM only IMEI being changed to a hybrid IMEI/MEID in the 99xxx range would work. Perhaps from a donor old flip phone?

Carrier
    AT&T Gophone
    Feedback Score

Yes as states before all 4s are the same and have CDMA and gsm hardware. However on gsm models CDMA side is disabled and I there isn't anyway I've heard of to enable it.

You should take the 4s and just use a AT&T prepaid like gophone straight talk etc. you can also unlock it for like $2 on eBay and use any Tmobile prepaid as well.

Phone
    Motorola StarTAC, 1st gen iPhone 16GB
    Carrier
    Page Plus & KTC PACE Cellular
    Feedback Score
    iPhone 4S has CDMA2000 and GSM baked into the hardware, however crossing the GSM/CDMA2000 boundary is blocked by iPhone's firmware.

Only the Sprint/US Cellular/Verizon/C-spire iPhone 4S' can cross over to the GSM side (but are artificially restricted from US carriers; foreign only...)

All "factory unlocked" iPhone 4S' have their CDMA2000 functions disabled.

On the bright side, when you dial 911 your iPhone 4S will attempt all bands and all technologies (GSM/CDMA2000) regardless of its "lock" state.

There might be "baseband unlocks" that bypass some of these limitations, but I wouldn't count on it. Apple has locked down your iPhone's innards very tight.

Edit:

iPhone 4S has no published baseband unlocks. They've gotten really good at keeping you out of your hardware

Feedback Score
    Thanks, everyone for all your help. Sometimes I feel like I'm reading another language, but it all still helps!

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Actually I might be able to get the CDMA hardware to work on the AT&T model, it would be easier to enable on the AT&T 5 but I'm curious to see if it would work on the 4S

There's an override plist Apple puts into the Carrier Bundles to enable or disable LTE and disable the GSM radio in favor of the CDMA radio

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I don't know if the override plist would work on the 4S as its meant for enabling/disabling LTE on the 5 but in theory it should. I havent browsed the file system of a 4S phone yet mainly cause I can't find mines (it's around the house somewhere) but there might even be an override plist in the CDMA carrier bundles on the 4S file system you could use to disable GSM and just enable CDMA.

Feedback Score
    It IS possible to convert the AT&T iPhone to page plus. The iPhone is the ONLY AT&T phone which can be converted to page plus and you can do it yourself over the phone with a page plus Rep. I don't know about the iPhone 5 but anything older I'm POSITIVE you can convert to page plus and you can do it yourself for free by providing the page plus Rep your phones MEID. She/ he will give you a series of instructions that will help you obtain the number if you dont know how to get it. I KNOW because I've done this for myself, my daughter, my sister, my niece and a few other people. All of our phones are still working except my daughter and that's only because she dropped her phone and destroyed it.

Feedback Score
    18773596695 is the best number to call whenever you're attempting to convert a phone to page plus. I have found the reps at the other numbers aren't as successful as the reps at the number above. Just don't mention it's an at&t phone because once they hear AT&T they may automatically say it won't work without even trying.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDonDiva View Post
    18773596695 is the best number to call whenever you're attempting to convert a phone to page plus. I have found the reps at the other numbers aren't as successful as the reps at the number above. Just don't mention it's an at&t phone because once they hear AT&T they may automatically say it won't work without even trying.
    Interesting, can anyone comment on if this will work for a Verizon iPhone 4 or Verizon iPhone 4s? How about at&t iPhone 4 (non S ) ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast