Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: LG840G WiFi and streaming music questions

Carrier
    Tracphone
    Feedback Score

LG840G WiFi and streaming music questions

Hi, didn't find anything in search.

Using the LG840G if you're connected to wifi can you listen to internet music?

Shoutcast or something like that streaming through the earphone by way of the browser. No apps installed just the internet. Shoutcast uses Flash for their player so is the browser able to install Flash? Maybe Opera?

Someone somewhere said WiFi will time out and switch to G3, is it possible to maintain a connection to the net over WiFi while listening and still have the phone turned on? Or if the phone is turned off?

What about a Bluetooth earphone while connected to WiFI?

Has anyone tried this?

Carrier
    Tracphone
    Feedback Score
    I did find this info. According to the poster no Flash for the LG840G
    No. LG Connect 4G MS840 is an Android OS, v2.3.5 (Gingerbread). Flash Player will not be certified for any device OS beyond Android 4.0.x. Installing Flash Player on an uncertified device may result in unexpected behavior and can potentially destabilize your device.
    Would Chrome work here? I don't know, just guessing. I don't have the phone and trying to decide. Maybe the Samsung S390G.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by marty_d View Post
    Hi, didn't find anything in search.

Using the LG840G if you're connected to wifi can you listen to internet music?

Shoutcast or something like that streaming through the earphone by way of the browser. No apps installed just the internet. Shoutcast uses Flash for their player so is the browser able to install Flash? Maybe Opera?

Someone somewhere said WiFi will time out and switch to G3, is it possible to maintain a connection to the net over WiFi while listening and still have the phone turned on? Or if the phone is turned off?

What about a Bluetooth earphone while connected to WiFI?

Has anyone tried this?

use wifi to listen to internet music, beaware that net10/straight talk/tracfone frown upon streaming
    of music/video of any kind.

Carrier
    Tracphone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    use wifi to listen to internet music, beaware that net10/straight talk/tracfone frown upon streaming
    of music/video of any kind.
    Well, that's why you'd want to use WiFi. The connection isn't part of the 3G telephony system. You can access the net while disconnected from the cell provider.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    marty_d - I use a Bluetooth for listening to music. I don't stream, but rather they are CDs that I converted. Then I transferred the files to my phone. But I saw on a couple of sites it's good for music streaming,too. I bought the Planatronics M50. I sort of remember paying about $29 + tax for mine. The sound is clear if you are talking on the phone or listening to music. It also holds a charge very well.

Carrier
    Tracphone
    Feedback Score
    Thanks zoonie4howard. Cool. So now the only question is where to find an app that can play shoutcast streams on the phone? I'll do some more searching around.

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    I believe the built-in browser includes flash. I recall others reporting using YouTube.
    (I know my Samsung will)
    Maybe someone with an LG840G with chime in on that.

Not sure of a way to keep the LG840G form switching to 3G if it looses wi-fi.
    I suspect the browser would give an error if you loose a streaming connection, but again, you'd need to test yourself or hear from an LG804G user.

You second post about the LG Connect is a different phone and not applicable.

Carrier
    Tracphone
    Feedback Score
    Sorry. Yah I realize the the quote is for a different phone but the response was to a question about the LG840G. Still trying to narrow the focus.

This post also says the phone can play youtube videos. Excellent catch. Thanks

Tracfone LG 840G Bundle @ fatwallet.com
    LG No-Contract Touchscreen 3G Wi-Fi Camera Smartphone Features

3G speed, mobile Web and Wi-Fi connectivity

For fast performance and easy Web access from virtually anywhere

Wi-Fi capability

Access the Web any time you connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot or your home network
    Surf the Web, check email or stream video without using your plan minutes when connected to Wi-Fi
    Standard data rates apply and airtime minutes are deducted when not connected to Wi-Fi

3.2" touchscreen LCD

For easy menu navigation, photo viewing and video playback

Bluetooth-enabled

Supports hands-free, headset, object push and object exchange features from up to 30 feet away

2MP camera and camcorder functions with digital zoom

Capture on-the-go pictures and video

Google Maps capability

Access Google Maps functionality with an optional, free downloadable app (not included on phone)
    Get turn-by-turn GPS directions and maps to your destination

TracFone airtime balance display

Shows you how much airtime you've used and how much remains
    Stay in control of your costs

No credit checks and no contracts

Everyone qualifies
    Cancel anytime you like

Single rate for every call

Local, long-distance, roaming and international calls included (certain restrictions apply)

Download ringtones, graphics, news, weather, sports and more when using airtime minutes

Entertain and educate yourself on the go
    Personalize your phone

More Features

Virtual QWERTY keyboard
    Voice mail, call waiting and caller ID (contingent upon your cell phone provider)
    microSD memory card slot for cards up to 4GB (2GB microSD card included; other cards sold separately)
    Mobile Web
    True email client
    SNS (Social Network Service) capable
    YouTube capable (on 3G and Wi-Fi; 3G use will count against airtime)
    Picture messaging
    Alarm clock
    Calculator
    Voice recorder
    Music player for MP3, AAC, AAC+

Specs

The Key Specs

Model #:

LG840G

Screen Type:

3.2" color touchscreen LCD

Style:

Touchscreen bar

Mode:

GSM 900/1800/1900 MHz

Bluetooth Enabled:

Yes

Additional Specs

Talk Time:

Up to 3.7 hours

Standby Time:

Up to 13 days

Text Messaging:

Yes

Multimedia Messaging:

Yes

Speakerphone:

Yes

Voice-Activated Dialing:

Yes

Built-In Camera Resolution:

2.0MP

Video Recording:

Yes

MP3 Player:

Yes

Radio:

No

Headphone Jack:

Yes

Downloadable Ringtones:

Yes (18 included)

Internet Capabilities:

Yes

PDA Capabilities:

Yes

International Compatibility:

Yes; go to www.tracfone.com for details

Data Transmission:

Yes

Games:

Yes, downloadable

Voicemail Capability:

Yes

Calendar:

Yes

Scroll Function:

Yes

Antenna:

Internal

Battery:

Lithium-ion 3.7-volt

The Basics

Color Choices:

Purple, Red, Blue, Pink, Zebra or Leopard (battery cover)

Measurements:

Approx. 2.35"L x 0.46"W x 4.08"H

Weight:

Approx. 3.84 oz.

Power Source:

Included rechargeable battery, AC adapter or car charger

Listing:

CSA (AC adapter)

Country of Origin:

China

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Oh, you can forget that GoogleMaps comment. Google has stopped supporting the JAVA version of the app.

You can't even install it now because they removed a page the app need during installation.

While it continues to work on devices where it's already installed, but how long?

Carrier
    Tracphone
    Feedback Score
    Yes! that was also mentioned here at Howardforums too in the early adopters thread. Wow. Not to forget the phone doesn't have GPS.

Voice activated dialing looks interesting too but on the lg800g voice commands only work with bluetooth. hmm.

That list of features is pretty but it's a sales pitch for HSN so probably a little too shinny.

But, still, they do say Youtube will work with the built in browser and, at the moment, Flash is Youtube's coding scheme which is very good news. Shoutcast looks like they are very probably flash based too. The site does work in a virtual machine running windows 8 with no flash installed in IE10 but then fails in IE10 for RT, or Start, environment. So that's kind of weird but does imply a Flash code failure.

We need someone with a phone in hand.

Listening to music while mowing the lawn and still having a phone would be great. If Bluetooth works same time as WiFi that would make voice command, auto volume, hands free operation possible.
    Last edited by marty_d; 01-21-2013 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Grammar

Carrier
    Tracphone
    Feedback Score
    Ok so edited last post because it's not a good idea to write words at 6 in the am. <g> If anyone has the phone you might like to check out Google Voice from the browser too. With WiFi? and bluetooth

I'll probably buy this phone when my current service runs out in March. Lot of features.

Carriers
    PTel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by marty_d View Post
    ...But, still, they do say Youtube will work with the built in browser and, at the moment, Flash is Youtube's coding scheme which is very good news...
    Flash requires lots of memory, a fast CPU and an OS that a Flash run tine or plugin has been written for. The LG 840G doesn't have any of those and doesn't support Flash, no feature phone ever has and likely none ever will. YouTube works on many phones that lack Flash support. On feature phones, YouTube uses 3gpp or mp4 formatted video delivered using RTSP.
    My site: PrepaidPhoneNews.com My other sites: wapreview.com, boostapps.com

Carrier
    Tracphone
    Feedback Score
    Oh, ok. That makes sense. Still need some real science but the idea sounds right. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    Flash requires lots of memory, a fast CPU and an OS that a Flash run tine or plugin has been written for. The LG 840G doesn't have any of those and doesn't support Flash, no feature phone ever has and likely none ever will. YouTube works on many phones that lack Flash support. On feature phones, YouTube uses 3gpp or mp4 formatted video delivered using RTSP.
    The LG840G can play youtube videos with the native browser, as can my Samsung S390G.

The S390G has a check box for "Run Flash" under the native browsers Options->Browser Settings->Preferences. When I unchecked it, I could still play a youtube video. I wonder what this "Run Flash" really means?
    Cheers!

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    So, I guess the NetFront browser on the S390G is using HTML5 for YouTube.
    http://gl.access-company.com/products/browser/browser/

[New in NetFront Browser v4.2]

• Enhanced HTML5 support (Video/Audio, Geolocation, WebStorage)
    The page does mention flash

[top][Plug-In and Extension Modules]

Flash®, Flash® Lite
    NetFront Browser provides a ready-to-use interface to integrate Adobe® Flash® Player supporting Flash content embedded within a Web page.
    Not sure how/where that is enabled/used. All the flash test sites I tried showed no flash.

Shoutcast may have HTML5 support. A quick look online implied that it does. I',m not a shoutcast user so can't really offer much help.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast