Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bypass Straight Talk Data limit or Throttle.

Phone
    Apple iPhone and an Android Tablet
    Carrier
    Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score

Bypass Straight Talk Data limit or Throttle.

Has anyone seen this video yet?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXXN0b2jf8g

I'm wondering if this guy is mistaken or what. I seem to remember that Straight Talk was throttling way before they started their BYOP offering. Anyway from what I can gather, here are the settings changes (BYOP vs. ST:Android):

APN: att.mvno vs. wap.tracphone
    MMSC is the same http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS proxy: 66.209.11.33:80 (rds-proxy.mycingular.net:80) vs. 66.209.11.32:80 (vdispwap2.mycingular.net:80)

Has anyone tried the android tracphone settings with a Straight Talk ATT BYOP SIM and have had any success? I suppose it is worth a try...

Or, alternatively, has anyone purchased an Android device (in the video the guy purchased an LG Optimus Logic for $89) and did the SIM swap with any kind of success?

Carriers
    Straight Talk (ATT SIM)
    Feedback Score

You can remove the proxy from the APN an receive better speeds and more apps will function however the data limit is still enforced.

Phone
    Carrier
    Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Airforcekid View Post
    You can remove the proxy from the APN an receive better speeds and more apps will function however the data limit is still enforced.
    I'm not sure what you mean by that statement. Are you saying that you can leave the APN field blank (null value) and not populate it by either att.mvno or wap.tracphone and that would work as well?

I'm wondering if, like the Youtube video by danogne10 suggests, if the wap.tracphone APN isn't monitored for throttling in the same way. I'm suspecting that other AT&T MVNO APN's may work as wel (that is, unless, wap.tracphone is T-Mobile or something and the guy that posted the video didn't catch it).

For example:
    att.mvno
    wap.cingular
    pta (which is the standard data APN for LTE)
    phone (we know this one doesn't work)

Thoughts?
    Last edited by meh123; 01-19-2013 at 09:26 PM.

Carriers
    Straight Talk (ATT SIM)
    Feedback Score

I have an iPhone and use the unlockit site for my APN settings att.mvno works as well as proxy.att.mvno the same as straight talks supported APN it is slower and blocks some apps such as speedtest.

Phone
    iPhone 5c
    Carrier
    Pageplus Cellular 4G LTE(ME)/Cricket(GF)
    Feedback Score

Re: Bypass Straight Talk Data limit or Throttle.

Those are the same settings as my Net 10 BYOP service. You can still be throttled with those setting. They throttled me ( I had throttle removed already). The first BYOP sim I got at Dollar General used the att.mvno apn and when I got hit with a throttle on that sim my speed was 119k solid. A while back I got a new sim from a friend who owns a cellphone shop and it used the new wap.tracfone apn like on the video and when I got throttled again it was 239k this time so maybe the new apn gives a faster throttle but definitely doesn't eliminate it altogether. The only difference is he's using the sim out of a phone vs BYOP like me. That maybe a factor IDK.

Sent from my Huawei-U8665 using HowardForums

Phone
    Carrier
    Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by flrjr42501 View Post
    Those are the same settings as my Net 10 BYOP service. You can still be throttled with those setting. They throttled me ( I had throttle removed already). The first BYOP sim I got at Dollar General used the att.mvno apn and when I got hit with a throttle on that sim my speed was 119k solid. A while back I got a new sim from a friend who owns a cellphone shop and it used the new wap.tracfone apn like on the video and when I got throttled again it was 239k this time so maybe the new apn gives a faster throttle but definitely doesn't eliminate it altogether. The only difference is he's using the sim out of a phone vs BYOP like me. That maybe a factor IDK.
    My bet is that he's going to be throttled as well. There is no magic bullet here as far as I can tell. However, the findings are quite interesting. A "faster throttle" is still a better outcome than a slower throttle. I have a feeling that you can mix and match APN settings as long as they're on the AT&T network. I don't believe you have to buy new SIMs. I'm wondering if others would like to try that as well so we can start posting our results.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    here os an ideal,dont be a data hof,dont violate the tos and you dont have to worry about a throttle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cooter55 View Post
    here os an ideal,dont be a data hof,dont violate the tos and you dont have to worry about a throttle.
    For someone who posts on these forums all day every day, you've got the worst spelling and typing skills I've ever seen. On top of that, most of your posts are bitter and unfriendly. You should turn off the computer and go outside dude.

Phone
    iPhone 5c
    Carrier
    Pageplus Cellular 4G LTE(ME)/Cricket(GF)
    Feedback Score

Re: Bypass Straight Talk Data limit or Throttle.

On my sim I can't mix and match apn settings. If I try to use att.mvno it wont connect to data at all. I have to use the wap.tracfone apn. When I got my new sim off of my friends shop I had to change apns. I too have the feeling that the Guy in the video will get hit with a throttle at some point if he goes crazy with the data.

Sent from my Huawei-U8665 using HowardForums

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Visa Declined View Post
    For someone who posts on these forums all day every day, you've got the worst spelling and typing skills I've ever seen. On top of that, most of your posts are bitter and unfriendly. You should turn off the computer and go outside dude.
    truth hurts dont it lol

Phones
    Apple
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5C
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by cooter55 View Post
    truth hurts dont it lol
    Did you even learn proper English?

Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Visa Declined View Post
    Please be respectful towards other forum users. We will not tolerate personal attacks. If someone's posts are in some way violating forum rules, please simply report the post--there is no need for any personal attacks or anything of that nature.

Become a Premium Member
    Want to use a referral link in your signature, support the forums by becoming a Premium Member!
    Have you read the forum rules lately?
    If you have a problem with a post for any reason, please report it rather than responding to it, and a moderator will be along shortly.

Feedback Score

I can attest to the proxy field. When I was running my iPhone 4S on iOS 5.1.1, (before it crashed and I had to restore to iOS 6) I had my proxy field blank and could download apps in the App Store. Now that I'm using the unlockit.nz or whatever on iOS 6 and I can't change my settings (or don't want to go through the bother of doing) I are now that a few things including the App Store don't work.

Lets go iOS 6 jailbreak .....losin my woody...

Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    The only "way around" the data throttle I've found is to call customer service, apologize, and request for the throttle to be lifted. I've done this 7 times so far and still haven't gotten my account cancelled.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    what so people expect for $45 every 30 days.try it on any post pay service am see what that $45 will get you.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast