Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bypass Straight Talk Data limit or Throttle.

Carrier
    AIO, Cricket or whatever AT&T is calling it this week
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MkVsTheWorld View Post
    I think some of you might be missing the point of the YouTube video, which was a theory that SIM cards removed from Straight Talk phones are not throttled. At least, throttled badly.
    Actually, my experience from people I know using Straight Talk was exactly that. The Straight Talk Nokia E71 SIM account never got throttled - instead it got the threatening phone call. The AT&T BYOP SIM got throttled.

I'd have less of a problem with Straight Talk if they came clean about their data limits. It would also be nice if they advertised the $45/mo plan for "light or basic phone data usage" and added a "premium handset plan" at around $60/mo that specifically states you get 5GB before being throttled. I'm not sure if their profit margins would allow for such a plan, but it would still be competitive and would be great for smartphone users who actually want to use their phone.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotanmp3 View Post
    Actually, my experience from people I know using Straight Talk was exactly that. The Straight Talk Nokia E71 SIM account never got throttled - instead it got the threatening phone call. The AT&T BYOP SIM got throttled.

I'd have less of a problem with Straight Talk if they came clean about their data limits. It would also be nice if they advertised the $45/mo plan for "light or basic phone data usage" and added a "premium handset plan" at around $60/mo that specifically states you get 5GB
    mini53596
    replied January 9th, 2004
    would allow for such a plan, but it would still be competitive and would be great for smartphone users who actually want to use their phone.
    sounds like you need a post pay plan from att or the $30 plan from tmo.
    st it is what it is.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cooter55 View Post
    here os an ideal,dont be a data hof,dont violate the tos and you dont have to worry about a throttle.
    mod edited: useless crap removed. If you can't disagree with someone without personal insults, you aren't welcome here.
    Last edited by martin_j001; 01-22-2013 at 07:52 PM.

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    st it is what it is.
    I don't need anything, I use Boost*. I recommended Straight Talk to a few friends and family members and I've lived to regret it. AT&T postpaid is considerably more expensive than Straight Talk (well over $100/mo + taxes for a smartphone), plus if you have crappy credit their deposit can be absolutely insane. T-Mobile still isn't fully compatible with the iPhone in many places.

* The data speeds suck most of the time, but it's cheaper than Straight Talk (I pay $35/mo) and they're honest about how much data you get before being throttled (2.5GB) and they automatically lift the throttling at the start of each new billing cycle. Of course, phone selection is limited (and "flashing" to Boost is somewhat clandestine in nature) and Sprint native coverage can be inadequate depending on where you live/work/travel.

Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    st it is what it is.
    Why do you feel that you need to point this out to this user?

Feedback Score
    yeah well if you have crap credit like me t-mobile wants a $400 deposit just to start services with any phone.

Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    Why do you feel that you need to point this out to this user?
    Why do you need to continue posting about what isn't the actual topic? Report posts, or move one. Those are your two options. Continually looking for fights will not be tolerated. If you have a problem with another user, take it to pm's or ignore them. Stop disrupting the forum with this petty crap.

Become a Premium Member
    Want to use a referral link in your signature, support the forums by becoming a Premium Member!
    Have you read the forum rules lately?
    If you have a problem with a post for any reason, please report it rather than responding to it, and a moderator will be along shortly.

Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Re: Bypass Straight Talk Data limit or Throttle.

I'd have less of a problem with Straight Talk if they came clean about their data limits. It would also be nice if they advertised the $45/mo plan for "light or basic phone data usage" and added a "premium handset plan" at around $60/mo that specifically states you get 5GB before being throttled. I'm not sure if their profit margins would allow for such a plan, but it would still be competitive and would be great for smartphone users who actually want to use their phone.
    A few people here said that they got throttled on the E71...
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1781008
    How much data have you used with/without being throttled, warned, etc.

I completely agree that Straight Talk should just go tiered and have $45 a month be for 2GB and $60 for $5GB. Those are fair and transparent prices.
    nex·us [nek-suhs]
    noun, plural nex·us·es, nex·us.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    i think tmo has a tier system that they are demoing in a few markets.

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MkVsTheWorld View Post
    A few people here said that they got throttled on the E71...
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1781008
    How much data have you used with/without being throttled, warned, etc.
    It was the same person, using an iPhone 5 on Straight Talk. They used an average of 1.6GB per month over about three months. After they got the threatening phone call (as in, "cut it out or you'll lose your account"), I switched 'em to the BYOP SIM. They made it about halfway through their most recent monthly cycle and then got throttled.

They've switched to H2O's 2GB plan, so I'm interested in seeing if the problem was excessive usage or Straight Talk's widely-rumored "2GB/mo limit" isn't quite so generous.

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    i think tmo has a tier system that they are demoing in a few markets.
    T-Mobile has been doing tiered throttle points with their Monthly 4G plans for awhile now. The two potential deal breakers with T-Mo are the lack of iPhone compatibility and a smaller coverage footprint than AT&T.

I'll agree 100% that if T-Mobile's coverage works for someone and they're either not going to use an iPhone (or can tolerate EDGE speeds most of the time), it's a much better data hoggin' choice than Straight Talk. But it seems Straight Talk isn't big on harassing their T-Mobile BYOP SIM users for excessive data usage, so you can have your cake and eat it too if T-Mobile's network meets your needs. For a lot of people though, T-Mobile doesn't cut it, so we've got our little spat with Straight Talk over their "Unlimited" that isn't, when you're using AT&T.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    yes,but st/att might not be a good fit for all and there are other choices out there.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile has been doing tiered throttle points with their Monthly 4G plans for awhile now. The two potential deal breakers with T-Mo are the lack of iPhone compatibility and a smaller coverage footprint than AT&T.

I'll agree 100% that if T-Mobile's coverage works for someone and they're either not going to use an iPhone (or can tolerate EDGE speeds most of the time), it's a much better data hoggin' choice than Straight Talk. But it seems Straight Talk isn't big on harassing their T-Mobile BYOP SIM users for excessive data usage, so you can have your cake and eat it too if T-Mobile's network meets your needs. For a lot of people though, T-Mobile doesn't cut it, so we've got our little spat with Straight Talk over their "Unlimited" that isn't, when you're using AT&T.
    Tmobile is refarming its HSPA network to 1900 mhz from 1700/2100 mhz. For rough idea where the sighting have been you can check www.airportal.de. So places where it gets 1900 mhz it is Iphone compatible.

For the coverage you will have to check, if you do get it at work and home I guess then ST-Tmobile is the way to go, otherwise stick to ST-ATT

Feedback Score
    I am so glad this thread has not been closed. One year necro for the win. Straight Talk is still throttling, grotesquely in some regions it seems. I have just been throttled to six kilobytes a second. However, that is not really why I am here. This is the first thread I have ever read from this forum, and I am thoroughly disappointed and dismayed with the manner in which it is run. I these few pages of discourse on the ethics of modern data distribution, I have seen many curt, rude, and condescending posts from cooter55 in which he/she offered little to no helpful information whatsoever. Meanwhile, all subsequent posts by other members regarding the wildly unhelpful nature of his/her posts were met with scathing rebukes from pretentious members of the moderation community and/or other chest-thumping aspirants looking to prove some kind of loyalty. I have little to no reason to believe that cooter55 and most, if not all of those people, are somehow affiliated with Straight Talk (or they are just power-hungry pseudo-mods that want to make a name for themselves). There is, quite frankly, no other feasible reason that the lot of you would come to the defense of Straight Talk and cooter55.

Agreeably so, to the next post that will show up on this thread, my addition to this discussion is almost wholly irrelevant to the conversation. But I assure that I will keep a copy of the entire thread up to, and including, this post for sake of bringing this troublesome behavior to light. All too often I have seen members take the "rules" of a forum FAR too seriously. Especially in defense of a person/topic that they are particularly fond of.

Final note, I am wholly of the side that agrees, "unlimited data," with no clearly stated throttling disclaimer should be considered false advertisement. Consider this somewhat similar analogy: imagine going to an all-you-can-eat buffet. The first two times you visit the buffet, you are allowed to fill your plate, but every subsequent visit, you may only take one item; a chicken wing, a scoop of mashed potatoes, a slice of meatloaf... No one would ever go to that buffet again, and they may well be susceptible to false advertising charges (I am not sure of that, but I wager it might be true).

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    right off straight talks website

*30 day Unlimited Plans include 2.5 GB of high speed data per 30 day cycle. After 2.5 GB, your data speed will be reduced for the remainder of the 30 day cycle. High speed data is restored once a new 30 day service plan is redeemed at the end of the 30 day plan cycle. Other limitations, terms and conditions of service apply. Straight Talk reserves the right to terminate your service for unauthorized or abnormal usage. Please refer always to the latest Terms and Conditions of service.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast