Thread: Sprint iPhone 5 Stuck on 1x for data -- any suggestions?

Phone
    iPhone, Epic, Moto Series, (many)
    Carriers
    Verizon
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score

Sprint iPhone 5 Stuck on 1x for data -- any suggestions?

My brother recently upgraded his two lines to SERO premium and two iPhone 5's. His phone works fine, and displays 3G (and gets reasonable download performance). His wife's phone works fine for voice. It constantly displays the little "o" instead of 3G, even when in the city where 3G is present. Speedtest confirms her phone's abysmal speed, but even trying to open a modern web page using 1x data is nothing short of painful.

They were in town visiting me yesterday so I used my WiFi connection to update her phone to iOS 6.0.2 and then dialed ##UPDATE#. The phone said beginning software update, then a couple minutes later said it was complete. I also tried a network reset.

After all of this, as soon as I turn off WiFi, I see the familiar little "o" indicating 1x data connection. They are both relatively novice but she really doesn't use her phone much (and frankly neither would I if I was stuck in 1x all of the time).

They took the phone to a sprint store for assistance (at my urging). The Sprint store told her the "o" is normal, and has no bearing on the speed of her connection. My own tests confirm that her phone is abysmally slow, and continuously so, even in places where I have several Sprint iPhones together all showing 3G and getting good download.

So from what I've said here so far, it would be helpful to me if someone knows if this sounds like an account provisioning problem, or defective iPhone.

Thanks for any input,

-Dan

PS: Back when I helped my brother get his two SERO lines, the plan either included "Vision" 1x data or "Power Vision" 3G EVDO data. The phones he chose could do 3G ( Samsung A900's ). Anyway, he was always on 3G capable phones.
    ---
    http://pages.uoregon.edu/dalbrich
    Eugene, OR -- Pacific Northwest

Feedback Score
    So prior to the getting the iPhones, how was the Sprint coverage in your area? Was it great like 5 bars and all of a sudden you are getting crappy reception? Have you compared it with any other Sprint device like an Android device in the same area. Perhaps the iPhone maybe defective?

I don't know what you mean by when you see the little "o" indicating 1x data connection so I can't help you. Perhaps a screenshot of your phone will help.

Phone
    Galaxy S4, ZTE Sonata
    Carrier
    VZW 4G Prepaid, Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ericdabbs View Post
    So prior to the getting the iPhones, how was the Sprint coverage in your area? Was it great like 5 bars and all of a sudden you are getting crappy reception? Have you compared it with any other Sprint device like an Android device in the same area. Perhaps the iPhone maybe defective?

I don't know what you mean by when you see the little "o" indicating 1x data connection so I can't help you. Perhaps a screenshot of your phone will help.
    Reception has little to do with it if the other iPhone is showing a 3G signal.

The little "0" does mean a 1x (or 2G) data connection.

dalbrich, Are you testing these phones at the same time, at the same location? If not, it's "possible" that the 1x phone is an an area with NV going on. Have you tried toggling Airplane mode as well as LTE?

Phones
    HTC EVO LTE
    EVO LTE
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Sprint iPhone 5 Stuck on 1x for data -- any suggestions?

I swapped to an iPhone 5 yesterday and this same issue is happening to me. By chance are you in Orlando?

Phone
    Android
    Carriers
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score

Re: Sprint iPhone 5 Stuck on 1x for data -- any suggestions?

Sister's HTC Evo was struck on 1X, any way to force it to EVDO, or fix it? Los Angeles here

Sent from my Nexus 7

Phone
    iPhone, Epic, Moto Series, (many)
    Carriers
    Verizon
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies. Yes, tested the phones at the same location (Eugene, OR) with strong native Sprint signal. I have tried toggling LTE and airplane mode which didn't fix the situation.

One other wrinkle is that they live at the Oregon coast where reception is frequently spotty. Just the same, my brothers phone gets the 3G connection when available, and hers never does even in the same locations. Here in Eugene, Sprint service is good, and we had the same results here.

Incidentally the iPhone 5's we have seem to perform less well than my wife's Sprint iPhone 4s in marginal signal areas. It's a minor difference but noticeable (and I don't mean bars of signal, I mean places one can make or receive calls).

Anyway, I think they're overall quite pleased with iPhone 5 (coming from so called dumb phones), except for the slow data on the one that never sees 3G.

Phones
    HTC One M8
    HTC One M8 (Sprint)
    iPhone 5s (CBeyond)
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I have a friend who lives on the outskirts of Portland with the same issue... seems to get 1x (the "o") about half the time. He's quite frustrated by it. Took it to the store, they said it's normal.

Ummm... don't think so. I rarely ever get 1x unless roaming... Sprint is all EV-DO here. It has to be an iPhone issue or a provisioning issue.

Nat

Phones
    iPhone 4S 64GB (foreign SIM unlocked)
    Motorola V360 (Unlocked)
    Carrier
    Sprint, Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I would jokingly have to ask, how can you tell? My "3G" service runs at 1xRTT speeds.
    --
    I support the right to keep and arm bears.

Phone
    iPhone 4s
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I was talking to someone from Apple because I've been having issues with my iPhone 4s and they asked me to go to Settings-General-About-Carrier and see if it says Sprint 13.0 or 13.1. He said thought that I should be on Sprint 13.1 but then said that 13.1 is only for the iPhone 5 not the 4s. I haven't found out how to change it but it may be something to look into or trying to find out. This was through an escalated engineer so don't if a regular agent can help you. If I speak to him again I will try and see how to get it done. Hope this can help you.