Thread: Need help with a warranty claim

Feedback Score

Need help with a warranty claim

I sure could use some help on how to deal with a 'denied' warranty claim from Verizon

Here is the situation:

My daughter purchased a Galaxy Nexus from Verizon about 10 months ago. Right before Christmas, she said the camera stopped working so she decided to go out and buy a Galaxy Note 2.

First I thought this was just an excuse to get the Note 2 so I asked to see the phone - maybe I could get it working. Did a full factory reset but whenever you tried to use the camera, it would just display a black screen. I Googled the problem and saw a number of similar problems that appeared to be software related. I should add that the phone was in excellent physical condition - she always used a case and a screen protector.

Since the phone was only 10 months old, I decided to call Verizon to see if the standard warranty would cover it. We went through some trouble shooting steps and the agent decided I should send the phone in for a replacement. She did mention that if the phone was "physically damaged" I would be charged $300 for the replacement.

I carefully examined the phone and took several pictures of it's condition. The moisture indicator on the side of the battery was fine, the phone looked great - I was sure it was not 'physically damaged' so I shipped it off to Verizon.

Today my daughter discovered a $300 charge on her Verizon bill and when she called she was told it was because the phone was 'physically damaged' and Verizon is denying the claim. Since I am the one who sent it in, I ended up calling to look into it further.

After several hours on the phone, I was finally able to speak with a 'level 2 tech' who had access to the photos that they take when the receive they first receive the phones. They were able to email me the pics-> (5) of the box showing that it was in good condition, (1) of the serial number and (1) of the 'charging port' which depicted "CORROSION. When I asked to see the pic of the internal moisture sensor, the Level 2 tech said that they never opened up the phone - as soon as they saw the "corrosion" they determined that the warranty was invalid. End of story, charge the customer $300...

To add insult to injury, we don't even get the phone back - they keep it and send it to Samsung, saying that is Samsung's policy...

I reviewed the official Samsung Warranty for this phone which you can find here -> (can't post the link yet)

I am certainly not an attorney, but when I read the section "(a) defects or damage resulting from...." how can Verizon say the "corrosion" on the charging port caused the damage to the camera part of the phone if they never even looked at the phone???????? (Wouldn't you have to find out what was wrong with the phone before you stated what caused the problem?)

Anybody been down this road and/or have any advice?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Device(s)
    Droid DNA
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    There's not much you can do, but call again and ask to speak to supervisor after supervisor. It will help if you have an account in good standing, especially with multiple lines. You can play the 'I've been a good customer for 'x' years, and this is unacceptable'. Threaten (but don't be overly hostile) to leave Verizon for ATT. Say things like 'I simply can not believe' it is Verizon's policy to treat their customers this way.'

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Good luck. Customer service has not been great lately.

Feedback Score
    I was going to send in my Bionic under the extended warranty, but decided not to when they informed me how the process works. They send me out a refurbished replacement for that exact phone. Then I ship the old one back. If they determine that I damaged the phone, then they will bill be the total price of the phone. I did not want to risk this. I told them that they should examine the phone and then allow me to make a decision if it is not covered. I should be able to get my old phone back. I told them that if I was going to pay full price for the phone, that I would want to buy one of the latest phones, and certainly not refurbished. I would not want to pay full price for an "obsolete" phone.

They told me that was impossible. So, I did not risk it. What a lousy policy.

Did you ever get this resolved to your satisfaction?

Feedback Score
    Nope

They allowed me to return the 'replacement phone' since it had never been used but I lost the phone that I sent in. (it had a small problem with the camera, and other than that, it worked fine)

I would strongly suggest that if anyone has a problem with their phone that they deal directly with the manufacturer to get it repaired. As I mentioned earlier, it seems that Verizon does not really have a warranty program - they have a 'replace your phone program'

Feedback Score
    Mine was a small issue also. I did call Motorola, but it was out of warranty. I had the extended warranty with verizon. I wonder how the credit card extended warranties would work on this type of problem.

Feedback Score
    Actually- I think that would be your best bet. I have made several claims using my AmEx card for extended warranty > computer monitor, and some other things. AmEx just refunded my the purchase cost in full, and it only took a couple of days for them to do it!. I also purchased a Galaxy Note phone for my wife for Christmas 2 years ago. Amex has their 90 day accidental damage protection. Well on the 89th day - she was able to somehow CRACK the screen of the phone. I made an accidental damage claim with Amex - they again refunded my complete purchase cost (it was a subsidized phone from Verizon) and I ended up sending it to Samsung to replace the screen and came out slightly ahead

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Verizon customer has really tanked lately.. Thankful I don't have to deal with their crap anymore. I would threaten to leave to see what they do.

Feedback Score
    AmEx it is then! Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhere View Post
    Verizon customer has really tanked lately.. Thankful I don't have to deal with their crap anymore. I would threaten to leave to see what they do.
    They would probably love to get rid of those of us with this plan.

Terry