Blackberry 8830
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

AT&T buys ATNI (Alltel) wireless assets

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...tml?cmpid=yhoo

AT&T Buying Alltel Spectrum, Customers for $780M
    By Nick Turner - Jan 22, 2013 5:54 AM GMT-0800

AT&T Inc. (T), the second-largest U.S. wireless carrier, agreed to buy spectrum and subscribers from Atlantic Tele-Network Inc. (ATNI) for $780 million in cash, bolstering the company’s network and bringing in 585,000 new customers.

The deal includes the purchase of licenses, network assets and retail stores, Dallas-based AT&T said today in a statement. The spectrum is in the 700-, 850- and 1900-megahertz bands, making it complementary to AT&T’s network, the company said. Atlantic Tele-Network operates under the Alltel brand in six states, mostly in the southern and midwestern U.S.

AT&T, led by Chief Executive Officer Randall Stephenson, has been snapping up airwaves in a bid to catch up with Verizon Wireless, the No. 1 U.S. carrier. Verizon won approval last year to buy airwave rights from Comcast Corp. (CMCSA) and other cable customers for about $3.6 billion. Wireless carriers rely on spectrum to transmit phone calls and data to mobile devices.

AT&T expects the Alltel purchase to be completed in the second half of 2013, assuming it’s approved by the Federal Communications Commission and the Department of Justice. The transaction won’t significantly affect cash flow or dilute earnings per share, AT&T said.

To contact the reporter on this story: Nick Turner in New York at nturner7@bloomberg.net
    Thrill me...

Phone
    Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

AT&T to buy Alltel brand/resources from ATNI

www.theverge.com/2013/1/22/3902984/at-t-signs-deal-to-acquire-alltel-for-780-million
    AT&T just announced that it's signed an agreement with Atlantic Tele-Network, Inc. (ATNI) to acquire the company's Alltel retail operations for $780 million in cash. For the money, AT&T will be picking up spectrum, licenses, retail locations, and most importantly 585,000 new paying subscribers. Essentially, the carrier is purchasing the remaining Alltel assets that the US government ordered rival Verizon to divest in 2008. After Verizon's own buyout of Alltel, federal regulators ordered it to divest subscribers in 105 markets where it was feared Big Red could become too dominant. AT&T had already picked up 79 of those while ATNI made away with 26. But assuming today's acquisition gains approval, AT&T will take all of it.

In terms of network resources, AT&T will gain spectrum in the 700 MHz, 850 MHz and 1900 MHz bands.

Feedback Score

Re: AT&T buys ATNI (Alltel) wireless assets

How are they buying them when verizon did it?

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

Phone
    Nexus 5, Galaxy S4 GPE, Moto X, iPad Air, Nexus 7
    Carrier
    AT&T, VZW
    Feedback Score

Can somebody post a map of the markets?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using HowardForums

Phones
    SGS2
    Note 3 (me), iPhone 5S (kid1), SGS5 (kid2)
    iPhone 5 (spouse), iPhone 4S (backup)
    Carriers
    SPCS
    Feedback Score
    http://www.atni.com/network.html

Atlantic Tele-Network (ATN) operates an advanced, state-of-the art, digital network that includes wireless, wireline and terrestrial and submarine fiber optic networks in select markets throughout North America and the Caribbean.

We serve markets that are geographically separated and technically challenging. These markets range from the deserts of the American Southwest to tropical islands in the Caribbean, to the plains of the Midwest, and the Northwoods of New York and New England. Each of these markets presents unique challenges to implementing and operating reliable and efficient telecommunications networks.

We have significant experience in design, engineering, operations, maintenance and upgrading of nearly every type of communications network in use today.

Based on the specific challenges of each geographic region served, we make the best choices from a wide range of technologies to deliver reliable and cost effective bandwidth and services.

---
    Sprint (family plan): Note 3 (me)|iPhone 5 (spouse)|iPhone 5S (kid1)|SGS5 (kid2)|iPhone 4S (backup line)
    ---
    ATTM (work): Nokia 6350
    ---
    ATTM PayGo: Nokia N95-3
    ---

Phone
    Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by the_hustleman View Post
    How are they buying them when verizon did it?

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile
    ATNI bought all the divested markets that AT&T did not. In addition to this, they bought the brand name during those transactions.

Carriers
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    http://www.commnetwireless.com/servi...wholesale.html

That is who had 3G roaming for At&t. I'm assuming this falls under the ATNI brand.
    At&t SGS III Belton/Nolanville, TX

Phone
    Nexus 5, Galaxy S4 GPE, Moto X, iPad Air, Nexus 7
    Carrier
    AT&T, VZW
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Nucleartx View Post
    http://www.commnetwireless.com/servi...wholesale.html

That is who had 3G roaming for At&t. I'm assuming this falls under the ATNI brand.
    I was really hoping this deal included commnet when I first saw the headlines but I'm afraid we're still stuck with them

Phones
    HTC TILT, 8525, BJI, BJII, SE w580i, w760a, z750a
    Nokia N79, e71, e62, 6555, 6126, 6030, 2610
    Moto V3XX, c168, V710
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Ex-Nextel
    Feedback Score
    sweet, sucks to hear about commnet not being included.
    iPhone 4 on AT&T:

http://www.xti9.com/v3xx[/FONT][/SIZE]

Feedback Score

Im a TMobile customer but I had to come to this section and comment in this thread. ATT doesnt need this spectrum deal, they just bought some spectrum a few months ago. This spectrum needs to go to smaller players like TMobile or Sprint especially the 900mhz and 1900mhz bands.

Los Angeles - San Diego, CA / St. Albans, VT
    Phones
    RIM BlackBerry Q10
    Apple iPhone 5S
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carriers
    Pacific Bell Wireless / T-Mobile USA / MetroPCS
    Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DroidLTE View Post
    Im a TMobile customer but I had to come to this section and comment in this thread. ATT doesnt need this spectrum deal, they just bought some spectrum a few months ago. This spectrum needs to go to smaller players like TMobile or Sprint especially the 900mhz and 1900mhz bands.
    T-Mobile or Sprint? Hardly players for rural markets.
    850/700/1900 MHz spectrum isn't going to change the game for them when the vast majority of their upgraded markets are urban/suburban.
    A better fit for these assets would be USCC since they already market to rural customers and the spectrum holdings would align more with USCC than T-Mobile USA or Sprint.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    T-Mobile or Sprint? Hardly players for rural markets.
    850/700/1900 MHz spectrum isn't going to change the game for them when the vast majority of their upgraded markets are urban/suburban.
    A better fit for these assets would be USCC since they already market to rural customers and the spectrum holdings would align more with USCC than T-Mobile USA or Sprint.
    Sprint is trying to buy USCC already so I dont see them trying to buy alltel. TMobile could use the 850/1900mhz for the refarming program.

Phones
    Apple
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5C
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprke81 View Post
    Can somebody post a map of the markets?

http://www.cellularmaps.com/atn_coverage.shtml

Los Angeles - San Diego, CA / St. Albans, VT
    Phones
    RIM BlackBerry Q10
    Apple iPhone 5S
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carriers
    Pacific Bell Wireless / T-Mobile USA / MetroPCS
    Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DroidLTE View Post
    Sprint is trying to buy USCC already so I dont see them trying to buy alltel. TMobile could use the 850/1900mhz for the refarming program.
    Yes, but only in certain Midwestern urban markets. But that's irrelevant at this point seeing that USCC apparently decided that they cannot compete in those markets anyways so that's why they have decided to sell off those markets. Otherwise, USCC will continue to operate wireless service in markets they already have a foothold in, mainly rural ones. Making a play (if they ever did) for ANTI-Alltel fits exactly in markets they already exist in.

Both Sprint and T-Mobile USA don't generally care for rural markets, regardless of type of spectrum being offered.
    If T-Mobile really cared for their rural markets then they would have deployed AWS HSPA+ and made big talk about upgrading to PCS HSPA+ and LTE AWS. A money and subscriber losing company like T-Mobile USA is too weak and late to do anything about their rural markets.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    Yes, but only in certain Midwestern urban markets. But that's irrelevant at this point seeing that USCC apparently decided that they cannot compete in those markets anyways so that's why they have decided to sell off those markets. Otherwise, USCC will continue to operate wireless service in markets they already have a foothold in, mainly rural ones. Making a play (if they ever did) for ANTI-Alltel fits exactly in markets they already exist in.

Both Sprint and T-Mobile USA don't generally care for rural markets, regardless of type of spectrum being offered.
    If T-Mobile really cared for their rural markets then they would have deployed AWS HSPA+ and made big talk about upgrading to PCS HSPA+ and LTE AWS. A money and subscriber losing company like T-Mobile USA is too weak and late to do anything about their rural markets.
    With this new CEO, I wouldnt be surprised if TMobile decided to expand into rual area this would help alot but on the other hand TMobile has enough AWS spectrum to cover all the USA.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast