Thread: Unlocking Sierra Wireless 763s mobile hotspot

Carrier
    711 Speakout
    Feedback Score

Question Unlocking Sierra Wireless 763s mobile hotspot

I just picked up Bell's Sierra Wireless 763s mobile hotspot. I bought it outright for the $199. Two questions. Can I get an unlock through Bell since I didn't choose the subsidized plan? And does anyone know if this hotspot, once unlocked, will work on Wind or Mobilicity? I'm guessing it will work on Rogers and Telus since they sell the same modem.

Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Doesn't have the bands for Wind or Mobilicity.

Carriers
    WIND Mobile
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I don't know of Bell's unlocking policy on Mobile Hotspot products, but if you want AWS band compatibility, the Huawei E586E sold at WIND Mobile for $100. outright (can be put on tab) can do both WIND / Mobi and the big 3, up to 21Mbps down HSPA+. It can be unlocked by purchasing a code from eBay.

For more general unlocking for USB or Hotspot products, dc-unlocker seems to be the pros in this field, so you should check them out as well (they specialize w/ it). (I am not related w/ them, not even a customer, but I did read their forums there).

I also own the Novatel MiFi 2372 from Bell, now still locked to Bell, but dc-unlocker can unlock it for about $13. or so.

(I am selling the 2372 and E586E, PM me if you are interested).
    No longer on a leash by Fido

Phones
    A3LSMG900T, L6ARCV70UW, QMNRM-381, A3LGTI9100, PYARM-601, PYARM-529, PPIRM-598, QMNRM-11
    PYARM-244, QTLRH-106, PPIRM-510, QTKRM-364, QURRM-485, QMNRH-66, QMNRH-55, QMNRH-71, QMNRH-34,
    BCG-E2817A, BCG-E2816A, IHDT56PG3, PKRNVWMC679, N7NAC763S, QISE181, QFXRM-675X...
    Carrier
    TELUS, Bell, SpeakOut, CSL, China Mobile, au by KDDI, Travel SIM UK
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Re: Unlocking Sierra Wireless 763s mobile hotspot

yds,

Greetings.

Why paying Bell $75? Even all the HoFo sponsors charge much less for that! I have only paid 10 Euros for unlocking mine instantly with the app from DC-Unlocker. Google it.

However, the AWS band support of this Sierra Wireless AirCard AC763S mobile hotspot is for LTE networks only e.g. Bell, Rogers and TELUS. Meaning it will NOT work with the UMTS/HSPA networks at WIND, Mobilicity or Videotron.
    --

HC - NO "i"
    I am NOT "the" HC, we are TWO different individuals!

"If we amplify everything, we hear nothing!" - Jon Stewart, Comedian

Carrier
    711 Speakout
    Feedback Score
    Thanks HC. I spoke with Bell on Friday about unlocking it, and they claimed they didn't have the codes to be able to unlock it. So I went ahead and unlocked using dc unlocker. Now to find a better data plan than the Bell flex plan it came with. Since Wind/Mobilicity are out then, Fido seems to have the best mobile hotspot plan - a flex plan that starts at $10 for 150MB, and goes up to $35 for 5GB. That will probably be good for me.

Carriers
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yds View Post
    Thanks HC. I spoke with Bell on Friday about unlocking it, and they claimed they didn't have the codes to be able to unlock it. So I went ahead and unlocked using dc unlocker. Now to find a better data plan than the Bell flex plan it came with. Since Wind/Mobilicity are out then, Fido seems to have the best mobile hotspot plan - a flex plan that starts at $10 for 150MB, and goes up to $35 for 5GB. That will probably be good for me.
    Just switch to Bell's $5 Tablet FLEX Plan (similar to the Fido plan you mentioned). Point your hotspot APN to pda.bell.ca and you're good to go.

Carrier
    711 Speakout
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldIRC View Post
    Just switch to Bell's $5 Tablet FLEX Plan (similar to the Fido plan you mentioned). Point your hotspot APN to pda.bell.ca and you're good to go.
    I asked two Bell reps on the phone (the initial rep, then retentions rep) if I could move to that tablet plan, but they both said I couldn't. The retentions rep claimed that it wouldn't work with my Sierra Wireless hotspot. I knew this to be incorrect, but had had enough of arguing with them about getting the thing unlocked in the first place.

Carriers
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I asked two Bell reps on the phone (the initial rep, then retentions rep) if I could move to that tablet plan, but they both said I couldn't. The retentions rep claimed that it wouldn't work with my Sierra Wireless hotspot. I knew this to be incorrect, but had had enough of arguing with them about getting the thing unlocked in the first place.
    Well -- from a technical standpoint it'll work. There is no technical difference in how a tablet access data vs. a hotspot. However, "tethering" is not allowed on the $5 plan but since you're accessing via pda.bell.ca, you should be OK.

That is unless the Hotspot works off the tethering principles (*99#) instead of hotspot principles (where wifi is used). Of course, we'd assume the latter is used.

Carrier
    711 Speakout
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldIRC View Post
    That is unless the Hotspot works off the tethering principles (*99#) instead of hotspot principles (where wifi is used). Of course, we'd assume the latter is used.
    Not clear what you mean by this. In the profiles settings on the Sierra, all it seems to ask for is an APN, and whether there is any password required (none, PAP, or CHAP).

Carriers
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Not clear what you mean by this. In the profiles settings on the Sierra, all it seems to ask for is an APN, and whether there is any password required (none, PAP, or CHAP).
    It wouldn't be a setting you can change -- it would be a "by-design" functionality.

In the past, we used tethering (a network initiated protocol) that allowed a device to share it's internet connection over USB or Bluetooth. Now we use WiFi to share the connection locally (via the handset). As long as the Sierra does that (Which it should), then along with pda.bell.ca, you should have ZERO issues on the $5 plan. You can also monitor this usage on Bell.ca after using a few MB just to make sure.

Phones
    A3LSMG900T, L6ARCV70UW, QMNRM-381, A3LGTI9100, PYARM-601, PYARM-529, PPIRM-598, QMNRM-11
    PYARM-244, QTLRH-106, PPIRM-510, QTKRM-364, QURRM-485, QMNRH-66, QMNRH-55, QMNRH-71, QMNRH-34,
    BCG-E2817A, BCG-E2816A, IHDT56PG3, PKRNVWMC679, N7NAC763S, QISE181, QFXRM-675X...
    Carrier
    TELUS, Bell, SpeakOut, CSL, China Mobile, au by KDDI, Travel SIM UK
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Re: Unlocking Sierra Wireless 763s mobile hotspot

WorldIRC,

At least, it has not incurred the extra charges in our drive test last summer ;-)