Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 26 of 26

Thread: Can I buy 'paid' apps from Android market without opening a Google Wallet account?

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    right behind u! (made u look!)
    Posts
    964
    Phones
    bb tour
    ve20(old) lg rythm(old)
    glimmer/ax8600/wave/e815/nokia 6255i(bit the dust)
    Carrier
    alltel/ATN
    Feedback Score
    0

    Can I buy 'paid' apps from Android market without opening a Google Wallet account?

    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    The question is resolved in the link above.

    The answer to the topic question is "No."

    We now know that Google demands Google Wallet account registration to buy Android apps from the PlayPlace.

    There is no other way.
    The answer is pretty simple; you don't want a "google wallet" account with your name on it, right? Simply create a gmail account with a fake name and then register a google wallet acount with that name on it. Use prepaid credit cards or play place cards purchased with cash as your payment source and google will never be able to associate the account with your personal information. I don't really think your level of paranoia is necessary or healthy but its a free country so your welcome to it but any good conspiracy theorist could have figured this out but most self respecting ones wouldn't own a cell phone anyways since the govt routinely uses satellite surveillance to watch everyone with cell phones anyways.

    Sent from my XT862 using HowardForums
    what is this new feature, and how can I manipulate it in order to make myself seem superior to those around me?

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    GTA
    Posts
    1,285
    Carrier
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by every1nosme View Post
    I don't really think your level of paranoia is necessary or healthy but its a free country so your welcome to it but any good conspiracy theorist could have figured this out but most self respecting ones wouldn't own a cell phone anyways since the govt routinely uses satellite surveillance to watch everyone with cell phones anyways.

    Sent from my XT862 using HowardForums
    Brilliant response! Thank you!
    Cell phone history:
    Motorola DPC 550 - Ericsson DF388 - Sanyo SCP-4000 - Samsung SCH-N150 - Samsung SCH-T300 - LG TM520 - LG VX-4600 - BlackBerry 6750 - BlackBerry 7250 - Samsung SGH-807 - T-Mobile Dash - Motorola RAZR - BlackBerry Bold 9000 - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (rooted) - Samsung Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (rooted, running SlimBean 4.3) - Oppo Find 7a

  3. #18
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Rural SE US
    Posts
    4,701
    Carrier
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    0

    Re: Can I buy 'paid' apps from Android market with no Google Wallet account?

    You've both missed the point, although, I thought I stated it quite clearly:
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    I simply don't like being forced into it with no simple alternative. Apple does that sort of thing; Google's Android used to be about openness and choice.

    It's not the cc info per se – although that is certainly a concern – it's more about the violation of that spirit of 'open-source' and 700C reg net neutrality that has been the heart and soul of what makes Android different from Apple.

    It's a betrayal of trust. Like, if Google now blocks payment for apps from non-Google sources, what reason is there to trust that Google search results sequencing won't be similarly skewed in Google's favor — when that matters *to Google*?
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

    The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."


    Perspective instantiates reality.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The Midwest
    Posts
    1,630
    Carrier
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score
    0

    Can I buy 'paid' apps from Android market without opening a Google Wallet account?

    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    You've both missed the point, although, I thought I stated it quite clearly:
    I agree with you. It's not about paranoia. It's about freedom of choice. If I don't want my credit card info shared with Google, who knows how they are tracking and indexing its' use, I shouldn't have to share it. Why can't I use PayPal with the Google Play store? Why do I need to set up another online payment method? There already is PayPal, WePay, etc.
    Q: Would you patronize a streetwalker?

    A: No, I would treat her as an equal.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    right behind u! (made u look!)
    Posts
    964
    Phones
    bb tour
    ve20(old) lg rythm(old)
    glimmer/ax8600/wave/e815/nokia 6255i(bit the dust)
    Carrier
    alltel/ATN
    Feedback Score
    0

    Can I buy 'paid' apps from Android market without opening a Google Wallet account?

    Quote Originally Posted by Doolie View Post
    I agree with you. It's not about paranoia. It's about freedom of choice. If I don't want my credit card info shared with Google, who knows how they are tracking and indexing its' use, I shouldn't have to share it. Why can't I use PayPal with the Google Play store? Why do I need to set up another online payment method? There already is PayPal, WePay, etc.
    You can use play place gift cards that can be purchased anonymously. You do have freedom of choice, you can choose not to buy apps from google. That choice comes with consequences, but you do have a choice.

    Sent from my XT862 using HowardForums

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,582
    Phones
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Moto Droid as an accessory
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0

    Can I buy 'paid' apps from Android market without opening a Google Wallet account?

    Quote Originally Posted by every1nosme View Post
    The answer is pretty simple; you don't want a "google wallet" account with your name on it, right? Simply create a gmail account with a fake name and then register a google wallet acount with that name on it. Use prepaid credit cards or play place cards purchased with cash as your payment source and google will never be able to associate the account with your personal information. I don't really think your level of paranoia is necessary or healthy but its a free country so your welcome to it but any good conspiracy theorist could have figured this out but most self respecting ones wouldn't own a cell phone anyways since the govt routinely uses satellite surveillance to watch everyone with cell phones anyways.
    Yeah, just do whatever Osama would have done, lol.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,582
    Phones
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Moto Droid as an accessory
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0

    Can I buy 'paid' apps from Android market without opening a Google Wallet account?

    Quote Originally Posted by Doolie View Post
    I agree with you. It's not about paranoia. It's about freedom of choice. If I don't want my credit card info shared with Google, who knows how they are tracking and indexing its' use, I shouldn't have to share it. Why can't I use PayPal with the Google Play store? Why do I need to set up another online payment method? There already is PayPal, WePay, etc.
    There is freedom of choice:

    1. Choice of ecosystem.
    2. Choice to buy or not.
    3. Choice to use acceptable terms. Show me a case where the buyer dictates the terms. Also I did not buy apps until carrier billing was offered which is another choice. Prepaid cards are another choice.

    When you pay your Visa bill, can you use PayPal?

    Does Apple use PayPal?

  8. #23
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The Midwest
    Posts
    1,630
    Carrier
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score
    0

    Can I buy 'paid' apps from Android market without opening a Google Wallet account?

    Quote Originally Posted by Steveanderson13 View Post
    There is freedom of choice:

    1. Choice of ecosystem.
    2. Choice to buy or not.
    3. Choice to use acceptable terms. Show me a case where the buyer dictates the terms. Also I did not buy apps until carrier billing was offered which is another choice. Prepaid cards are another choice.

    When you pay your Visa bill, can you use PayPal?

    Does Apple use PayPal?
    Ecosystem, as in walled in garden?

    Yes Apple uses PayPal in the US.

    "Shopping the App Store requires an iTunes Store account. When you create an iTunes Store account, you must provide a payment method for your purchase. The available payment methods vary by country, but typically you can use credit cards, gift cards, store credit, or PayPal."

    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2534

    I can use cash to buy gift cards and never attach a bank account or credit card to the iTunes Store or an Apple ID. A credit card is not required to purchase from the iTunes Store.

    I can transfer money from PayPal to a bank account just fine.

    As an example of buyer-seller negotiations, a locally managed chain restaurant does accept barter for payment for restaurant services. How far a seller is willing to negotiate with a buyer on price or terms of trade is always up to the seller.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,582
    Phones
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Moto Droid as an accessory
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0

    Can I buy 'paid' apps from Android market without opening a Google Wallet account?

    So it looks about the same except paypal.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The Midwest
    Posts
    1,630
    Carrier
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score
    0

    Can I buy 'paid' apps from Android market without opening a Google Wallet account?

    Quote Originally Posted by Steveanderson13 View Post
    So it looks about the same except paypal.
    Not at all. PayPal allows anyone to exchange money over the Internet.

    Apple isn't trying to get into money exchange with the iTunes Store. With PassBook, maybe, though PassBook has non-monetary usages as well, such as a event badge. How PassBook is set up is up to the developer. Apple still isn't trying to operate like a bank. Google Wallet is more comparable to an exclusive bank. Google's info:

    http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=105916
    I can use my HSA (Health Savings Account) to buy apps and music with Google Wallet, though.
    Last edited by Doolie; 02-15-2013 at 08:42 AM.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Rural SE US
    Posts
    4,701
    Carrier
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    0

    Re: Can I buy 'paid' apps from Android market with no Google Wallet account?

    Points well made.

    Google is just taking Android in directions I don't wish to go, that's the crux of it for me.

    Ironic that iTunes, of all things, now offers more freedom of (payment) choice than the PlayPlace.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Sharp 007SH - Error when purchasing apps from Android Market
    By squeenix in forum Japanese Phone Android Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-14-2012, 12:49 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-18-2011, 08:25 PM
  3. An App That Allows You To Buy Paid Apps On The Market
    By guardianflash in forum Android Apps
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-17-2009, 04:03 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-01-2004, 01:45 PM
  5. Buying a phone from another market
    By wierdo in forum AT&T
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-01-2003, 06:44 PM

Bookmarks