Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Unlocking Cellphones Becomes Illegal Saturday

Carrier
    Cingulatt
    Feedback Score

Unlocking Cellphones Becomes Illegal Saturday

Hmm... http://www.technewsdaily.com/16514-u...s-illegal.html

If you do buy a new phone and want to unlock it before the deadline, you must first ask your carrier if the company will unlock your phone for you. The DMCA only permits you to unlock your phone yourself once you've asked your carrier first.

Phones
    N/A
    Droid 2 Global
    LG VX9800 "The V" (backup)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score

Re: Unlocking Cellphones Becomes Illegal Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by wlo8 View Post
    Hmm... http://www.technewsdaily.com/16514-u...s-illegal.html

If you do buy a new phone and want to unlock it before the deadline, you must first ask your carrier if the company will unlock your phone for you. The DMCA only permits you to unlock your phone yourself once you've asked your carrier first.
    The DMCA can <expletive deleted>.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using HowardForums
    Last edited by XFF; 01-24-2013 at 04:57 PM.

Phone
    iPhone6Plus
    Feedback Score
    <expletive deleted> is this?
    T-Mobile™: The carrier with the the worst reliability, data performance, call performance and text performance nationwide! -RootMetrics™ Go Uncarrier!!

Carrier
    AT&T, verizon
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
    <expletive deleted> is this?
    😂Lol 10 char

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If you're opposed to this, here's a couple petitions you can sign on the White House website, the first one specifically unlocking related and the second one addressing the CAUSE of the problem - the broken DMCA and the clueless Librarian of Congress:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...legal/1g9KhZG7

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...t-act/phXh0RSQ

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I think the real issue is the fact your phones don't come unlocked anyway. Its your phone, you purchased it. Even counting in the signing a contract for a subsidy, you own the phone. There isn't a lein against your phone nor does the contract specifically reference your phone. So, they sell you something, yet they lock it down.

All while using airwaves that are a public resource.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    The airwaves aren't truly "public". You can't setup a radio station and legally broadcast without buying a license to broadcast from the FCC. The cellular carriers pay the FCC millions of dollars annually. It's more like a leased resource.

A true public resource wouldn't have an annual fee. You can't even fish in most states legally without a license.
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Feedback Score

This law is a load of bull.
    I'll just get someone overseas to unlock it

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    I think the real issue is the fact your phones don't come unlocked anyway. Its your phone, you purchased it. Even counting in the signing a contract for a subsidy, you own the phone. There isn't a lein against your phone nor does the contract specifically reference your phone. So, they sell you something, yet they lock it down.

I would have to agree with you there. Contract and locked equipment sure seems like double dipping. Either one or the other would be acceptable in exchange for a subsidy, but leveraging both sure smells of unfair practices.

The future is in doing away with subsidies, locking, and contracts altogether, like where T-Mobile is heading.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Feedback Score

Breaking News!

Man arrested for unlocking his cell phone! Faces multiple fines and possible jailtime!

Yeah not gonna happen.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I think this only means that cell phone companies won't offer unlocking of devices any longer. I don't think that unlocking services will be going anywhere.

Feedback Score
    I suppose some will unlock their phone after this date but I'm curious - does anyone know if this goes into effect tonight or midnight last night? btw, I did ask my carrier - Verizon - to unlock my phone. That wasn't a pleasant conversation.

Phones
    Sprint Touch on Cricket with working Proxy Bypass, MMS, Java, EVDO Rev. A and GPS
    LG vx10k Voyager with DUAL NAMs on Cricket and Verizon pre-pay with WAP, MMS, and EVDO
    Samsung Alias u740 with DUAL NAMs on Cricket and Verizon pre-pay with WAP, MMS, and EVDO
    Carrier
    PWNED by the Cricket Mafia!
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up "You Shall Not Pass"

Thank you @howard and @wlo8 for helping get the word out!

Carriers
    WIND Mobile (09/2010-present)
    Bell 05/2005-08/2006, Virgin Mobile Canada 08/2006-11/2009, Fido 11/2009-09/2010
    Feedback Score

The petition is 12% of the way to its goal after two days. It should take no more than a week.

While I'm sure unlock codes will still be easily available from international sellers on eBay etc, the question is whether eBay will crack down.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using HowardForums

Phones
    bb tour
    ve20(old) lg rythm(old)
    glimmer/ax8600/wave/e815/nokia 6255i(bit the dust)
    Carrier
    alltel/ATN
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Droiiiiiiiiid View Post
    Breaking News!

Man arrested for unlocking his cell phone! Faces multiple fines and possible jailtime!

Yeah not gonna happen.
    One of the articles I read did mention the penalties for this. Didn't see any jail time mentioned and most of them seemed aimed at the third party unlockers and not the end consumer but the monetary fees involved looked pretty heavy. Most consumers wont be in danger of being charged with this and so it wont discourage people from wanting to unlock their phones but the problem will be in finding someone who will do it for them. From the way I read things it seems like the manufacturers were the ones that were supposed to be "protected" from the unlockers rather than the carriers so it will be interesting to see if companies like samsung or motorola will respond by allowing consumers to go directly to them for unlocking. The logic seems to be that by unlocking the phone you are altering the software which is copyrighted material that you don't own but the question I have is that since android is open source and people already alter it thru custom roms and whatnot does that mean android phones would be excluded from this? Who technically owns the android software?

Sent from my XT862 using HowardForums
    what is this new feature, and how can I manipulate it in order to make myself seem superior to those around me?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast