Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Walmart $30 T-Mobile plan..How does it work?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    16,328
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    0

    Walmart $30 T-Mobile plan..How does it work?

    I'm thinking about getting this plan for someone, but the details about the plan/phone usage are still confusing to me. What data allotment does it come with before they throttle you - 200MB? 500MB? 2GB? or 5GB?

    They used SimpleMobile before, but this plan sounds cheaper.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________



    Speed achieved using T-Mobile Samsung GS2

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,205
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    5GB before your HSPA+ speeds are reduced to EDGE. The plan also includes 100 minutes and unlimited texting. I used to have this plan and used an application called GrooveIP to get around the 100 minute limit. It's a solid plan if you really don't need a lot of minutes and T-Mobile gets good coverage in your area.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    16,328
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    0

    Walmart $30 T-Mobile plan..How does it work?

    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    5GB before your HSPA+ speeds are reduced to EDGE. The plan also includes 100 minutes and unlimited texting. I used to have this plan and used an application called GrooveIP to get around the 100 minute limit. It's a solid plan if you really don't need a lot of minutes and T-Mobile gets good coverage in your area.
    Thanks. Is M2M included?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    9,457
    Feedback Score
    0

    Re: Walmart $30 T-Mobile plan..How does it work?

    Quote Originally Posted by terryjohnson16 View Post
    Thanks. Is M2M included?
    No. 100 minutes of talk only.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    410
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    It really is a great plan if you don't need a lot of minutes and can keep your usage under 5GB a month. It is technically a prepaid plan, so you'll find a lot of information about it in the T-Mobile prepaid section.

    I was on it for almost a year up until this month when they made the $70 plan truly unlimited data. My phone is my only internet connection, so I found myself bumping up against the limit fairly frequently even without tethering. If you go over, the throttling is truly painful. I was never able to get over 100 Kbps.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    157
    Carriers
    Gophone/ Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    The throttle is excruciatingly slow. Virtually useless! It was a pia to top up early to restart plan. They had to do some kind of jedi mindtrick and voodoo magic to restart with a new five gigs. But, it really is a good plan though.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    775
    Feedback Score
    0

    Re: Walmart $30 T-Mobile plan..How does it work?

    You can use any VOIP service as well.

    Sent from my XT862 using HowardForums

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    75
    Feedback Score
    0
    I was on the plan but recently got tired of paying for $40 of overages per month (job search, moving, family getting bigger... etc etc etc) so I bumped to the $70 truly unlimited.

    The $30 plan lost its value to me when they started restricting tethering. if I have to pay to get tethering, I might as well get unlimited datas.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    770
    Feedback Score
    0
    I walked into a Walmart asking about this plan, asking if they have a SIM to be used in an existing phone. They said you have to buy a kit with a cheap phone in it to start this plan. Is that right? (I was going to get this plan temporarily to test a new phone before moving my main line, so I could have both phones working at the same time for a month.)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    775
    Feedback Score
    0

    Re: Walmart $30 T-Mobile plan..How does it work?

    Quote Originally Posted by tmotk View Post
    I walked into a Walmart asking about this plan, asking if they have a SIM to be used in an existing phone. They said you have to buy a kit with a cheap phone in it to start this plan. Is that right? (I was going to get this plan temporarily to test a new phone before moving my main line, so I could have both phones working at the same time for a month.)
    Just for the SIM card. It needs to be brand new. If you order one from them just get the plan online.

    Sent from my XT862 using HowardForums

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    410
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tmotk View Post
    I walked into a Walmart asking about this plan, asking if they have a SIM to be used in an existing phone. They said you have to buy a kit with a cheap phone in it to start this plan. Is that right? (I was going to get this plan temporarily to test a new phone before moving my main line, so I could have both phones working at the same time for a month.)
    You can order just the SIM from the T-Mobile web site. They usually cost around $1 and take around a week to arrive. They recently ran a free SIM promotion so you may have to wait a few extra days.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    770
    Feedback Score
    0

    Walmart $30 T-Mobile plan..How does it work?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
    You can order just the SIM from the T-Mobile web site. They usually cost around $1 and take around a week to arrive. They recently ran a free SIM promotion so you may have to wait a few extra days.
    I have an unused microsim on hand that I was going to use with my grandfathered line if I keep the new phone. I can just use it for the $30 plan then for my phone testing then? Do I start the $30 5gb plan at TMobile.com or Walmart.com?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    9,457
    Feedback Score
    0

    Re: Walmart $30 T-Mobile plan..How does it work?

    You need the activation code that comes with the $0.99 SIM to order the $30 plan online. You won't be able to order the plan with a sim by itself.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    366
    Carrier
    Tmobile Pay As You Go
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tmotk View Post
    Do I start the $30 5gb plan at TMobile.com or Walmart.com?
    Tmobile.com

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    67
    Phones
    Samsung SPH-A500
    Samsung SCH8500 (old)
    Carriers
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lafrad View Post
    The $30 plan lost its value to me when they started restricting tethering. if I have to pay to get tethering, I might as well get unlimited datas.
    Can you elaborate on the restriction? Is this just phone based or are they snooping user agents and such?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-03-2006, 10:12 AM
  2. Q Data Plan and combining Wifes Plan: How does it work?
    By skinsfan44 in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-08-2006, 08:49 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-16-2006, 11:24 AM
  4. T-Mobile Sync - How Does It Work?
    By ajperez in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-03-2005, 01:44 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-18-2003, 11:07 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks