Page 55 of 111 FirstFirst ... 5 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 105 ... LastLast

Thread: Ability To Order AT&T Sims Removed From Straight Talk Site

Carrier
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    This new announcement validates that my position was correct.

AT&T is charging more for data than the other carriers, and so TF has decided to impose an official cap to limit its costs, and to attempt to steer AT&T SIM customers over to Tmobile SIMs.

If AT&T were cutting off TF, we wouldn't see a cap. We'd see a forced switch as of a certain date.

Instead, we're seeing that TF will be happy to let anyone stay on the AT&T SIM as long as they can live with only getting 1.5GB of data each month.

Quote Originally Posted by ChazzMatt View Post
    So, since the Net10 announcement for AT&T sims, it looks like it was #1, #2, and #3. Those were the most logical, so that's why I put them at the top.

Assuming it's a legitimate Tracfone site -- semes to be from this registration information
    -- then it answers why the AT&T sims disappeared from from American Movil companies. The sims still in the distribution chain were being sold, but no new supply.

Because AT&T was playing hardball.

#1, until American Movil agreed to publicly state caps. Until then no "AT&T" sims were sold, as AT&T obviously cancelled authorization for BYOD sims. Even now, there's been no official announcement from Straight Talk, so there's still no "AT&T" sims available on Straight Talk.

Wondering if the same 1.5GB cap for Straight Talk on AT&T -- or if Straight Talk will just forgo AT&T altogether so they can keep advertising "unlimited" data?
    Questions?? Read the FAQs: The Prepaid FAQ . The Straight Talk FAQ
    Disagree with someone? Be Nice!
    Report posts that violate the rules by clicking the dark triangle at the bottom, left of the post.

I have blocked some Hofo users and so I don't see and won't respond to messages from them.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Elpidio View Post
    Yeah, spotty areas are always troublesome. Phone internet service is not my main source to WWW, if vast amount of data is what I need, hardline is always the most reliable.
    true,even if you dont have home internet a person can always go to library and use laptop on the public library wifi.even most fast food national chains have some type of free wifi.

Phone
    LG Thrive
    Carriers
    ST
    Feedback Score
    I'm pretty pissed about this, the sim cards are going to go back up again... but with 1.5GB cap. This was on the Wontek site:

Straight Talk Unlimited Con has finally caught up with them

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cooter55 View Post
    true,even if you dont have home internet a person can always go to library and use laptop on the public library wifi.even most fast food national chains have some type of free wifi.
    I'll admit I am new to the whole smartphone game. I have used an iPod Touch religiously as my "Smartphones" since 2007. I have had and still for the most part have wifi 95% of my day. It never made sense for me to get a smartphone and pay for that 5%. I recently lost my corporate phone discount at Verizon and realized with Straight Talk I could get a smartphone and still save money in the long run. My biggest grip over the iPod Touch is that iPhones use 3G/4G when they are asleep for more than 15mins. Even so, push notifications shouldn't use much data at all only being messages. I use Sparrow for email (8 accounts) so email only comes in when I want it to.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by d4kc9 View Post
    I'm pretty pissed about this, the sim cards are going to go back up again... but with 1.5GB cap. This was on the Wontek site:

Straight Talk Unlimited Con has finally caught up with them
    Why are you pissed? With prepaid you can leave no contract mess.

But GL finding an MVNO with ATT for same price with same cap.

just checked all ATT providers at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...work_operators and the cheapest I could find was $50 for 1gb.

So either go Tmo or pay a ton more for more then 1.5gb with another provider. ATT wants for my 2 phones something clost to $150 with 2gb each. I'm paying with Ebay net10 cards $84, yes it's only 30 days so I'm loosing like 5-6 days a year and If I wasn't being lazy I could figure out the actual per year cost for both, but still Net10 is mad cheaper for almost same limit.

If anyone find an ATT provider (cause tmo coverage sux) that provides much more data for under $70/phone let me know.

Phone
    Android
    Carriers
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    Truthfully, I don't know why ANYONE is upset, ST AT&T never offered unlimited data. I was cut off using >200MB over a year ago with a Nokia SIM. At least now they spell it out.

That said, it is also not completely true that you cannot get unlimited prepaid AT&T data:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...es-work/page47

You can still get unlimited "3G" data (<900kbps) from AT&T on the $50 plan, using an unlocked NAM-band T-Mobile phone, or VZW iphone 5.... plenty fast for streaming pandora or youtube. This information has been sitting on HoFo for a while for savy users.

Feedback Score
    I imagine these "sim card" data limits will also apply to all AT&T phones. Wonder how Straight Talk is going to "market" their plans now.

Also, have people using vzn based phones been getting throttled, etc?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by timmytucker View Post
    I imagine these "sim card" data limits will also apply to all AT&T phones. Wonder how Straight Talk is going to "market" their plans now.

Also, have people using vzn based phones been getting throttled, etc?
    According to Net10 only the BYOD att is being capped. All net10 branded att phones are still unlimited.

Phones
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 4S (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Antenna View Post
    Truthfully, I don't know why ANYONE is upset, ST AT&T never offered unlimited data. I was cut off using >200MB over a year ago with a Nokia SIM. At least now they spell it out.
    For the same reason the city worker getting full family health coverage for $5 a month gets upset when he has to pay $50 all of a sudden. When the gravy train ends folks tend to become upset. And you are right, they never really offered unlimited data, but there were enough abusers who fell through the cracks and hogs who skated by...it was a great deal for the price. It's over now.

I personally gave up on AT&T as their service on the local towers here had deteriorated substantially over the last year. Voice quality was absolutely abysmal. Just wasn't worth it, even at Straight Talk's price.

The 'loophole' with the iPhone 5 is interesting but I didn't see any speed test results, you mention 900Kbps that's slower than Verizon 3G even congested around this area.

Feedback Score
    I know Wal-mart was sold out yesterday and last night, but i just went on and was able to get a micro sim for my iphone
    just a min ago. Just wanted to share, Tks

Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Re: Ability To Order AT&T Sims Removed From Straight Talk Site

Quote Originally Posted by Antenna View Post

That said, it is also not completely true that you cannot get unlimited prepaid AT&T data:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...es-work/page47

You can still get unlimited "3G" data (<900kbps) from AT&T on the $50 plan, using an unlocked NAM-band T-Mobile phone, or VZW iphone 5.... plenty fast for streaming pandora or youtube. This information has been sitting on HoFo for a while for savy users.
    Yeah, there's a good thread on XDA that details which phones would work. Most of them are phones from carriers outside of the USA, like Rogers in Canada. Apparently, many people have been prompted to upgrade on even T-Mobile phones now. This is believed to be a result of the new GSM blacklist that AT&T and T-Mobile use.
    nex·us [nek-suhs]
    noun, plural nex·us·es, nex·us.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsuncampanella View Post
    I'll admit I am new to the whole smartphone game. I have used an iPod Touch religiously as my "Smartphones" since 2007. I have had and still for the most part have wifi 95% of my day. It never made sense for me to get a smartphone and pay for that 5%. I recently lost my corporate phone discount at Verizon and realized with Straight Talk I could get a smartphone and still save money in the long run. My biggest grip over the iPod Touch is that iPhones use 3G/4G when they are asleep for more than 15mins. Even so, push notifications shouldn't use much data at all only being messages. I use Sparrow for email (8 accounts) so email only comes in when I want it to.
    the thing is you can turn off push mail and notifications on the phones and apps that are installed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cooter55 View Post
    the thing is you can turn off push mail and notifications on the phones and apps that are installed.
    I do have mail push turned off, it only pulls when I open Sparrow. My point was I left other push stuff on because getting push notifications like weather alerts should be just text and should use very little data.

Phone
    Nexus 5 (LG-D820), Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score

Stupid app won't let me edit.
    Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.

Phone
    Nexus 5 (LG-D820), Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by EndeavorOR View Post
    This new announcement validates that my position was correct.

AT&T is charging more for data than the other carriers, and so TF has decided to impose an official cap to limit its costs, and to attempt to steer AT&T SIM customers over to Tmobile SIMs.

If AT&T were cutting off TF, we wouldn't see a cap. We'd see a forced switch as of a certain date.

Instead, we're seeing that TF will be happy to let anyone stay on the AT&T SIM as long as they can live with only getting 1.5GB of data each month.
    -sorry, you are so wrong.

Page 55 of 111 FirstFirst ... 5 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 105 ... LastLast