Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can I get a recomendation for a smart phone?

Feedback Score

Can I get a recomendation for a smart phone?

Hello Everyone I am new to this forum and am looking to buy my first smart phone and use it to replace my current lg 9100 on PP. I don't know alot about smartphones but a little and Im hoping I can get some solid feedback from some veterans on here.
    I would really like it to be able to do gps stuff "without" relying on a network to do it. So it needs to have built in gps. I plan on using the 1200 plan and will just turn data on to surf the web some. Every time I think I have one I want to buy I read some feedback that it locks up and has bugs in it or something. Seems like alot of them do these days. Yesterday I was reading about the Samsung fascinate and Im thinking it might be a pretty good phone. In the future when I learn more about them I have no problem modifying it in all kinds of ways. Like rooting or something, I am good with computers just not phones.
    Thanks in Advance,

Feedback Score
    You might want to wait a month or two, as there are many rumors that Page Plus is going to allow 4G phones, which opens up a whole bunch of new (to Page Plus) phone options.
    I'm in the market for a new phone, and I'm waiting... I don't care about 4G data speed, but I'd sure like more phones to choose from - esp. because buying used has it's limits.

Feedback Score
    Ill keep that in mind, maybe the newer 4g phones have better gps functions on them. Actually one of the best phones that seems to have had high reviews is pretty old, Its the original droid A55. Was just reading about it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by phones4194 View Post
    Ill keep that in mind, maybe the newer 4g phones have better gps functions on them. Actually one of the best phones that seems to have had high reviews is pretty old, Its the original droid A55. Was just reading about it.
    if you dont want to wait you could pick up a Droid original from ebay or wherever for about 30-45 bucks and use it till they allow 4g, you won't be wasting too much money .

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I would be VERY surprised if PPC, or any Vzw MVNO, were to get 4G LTE before 2013 is over. I'd be a little bit surprised if it even happens in 2014.

I hope I'm wrong!

Whether or not PPC eventually decides to somehow support Vze 4G LTE phones at 3G speeds, I don't know, but 4G phones can be flashed to PPC now, so I kind of doubt it.
    Last edited by Boz1; 01-29-2013 at 12:29 PM.

Feedback Score
    All smartphones have GPS hardware, but none to my knowledge come with an offline GPS app which is something you need to buy separately. Search the app store for "offline GPS". I prefer Sygic, other options are CoPilot, Navigon, and Maverick (free OSM maps, quality varies widely by region).

Google Maps is hard to beat for GPS, but only has cached offline support of a limited region, and I've tried preloading a region only to have it still not navigate without a data connection once I arrived at the destination.

Feedback Score
    I like the idea about the original droid (thanks Man). They also have BIG time positive feedback. One question though is the 256k memory sufficient for many apps? I assume it also has a gps receiver?
    Thanks Ya'll

Carriers
    Selectel
    Feedback Score
    I like the idea about the original droid (thanks Man). They also have BIG time positive feedback. One question though is the 256k memory sufficient for many apps? I assume it also has a gps receiver?
    Thanks Ya'll
    It's ok for light use but if you're planning on putting a load of stuff on it, look elsewhere (especially if it's not rooted with a custom rom). Slow as molasses with a lot installed on it.

Phone
    Motorola StarTAC, 1st gen iPhone 16GB
    Carrier
    Page Plus & KTC PACE Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I think 4G is coming to Verizon VMNOs very soon. Millenicom Mobile Broadband already offers a Verizon branded 4620LE MiFi that rides on the Verizon 4G LTE network (launched late 2012).

I'd recommend getting a old or cheap 3G smartphone for now. I think 4G is imminent on Page Plus.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by E_tron View Post
    I think 4G is coming to Verizon VMNOs very soon. Millenicom Mobile Broadband already offers a Verizon branded 4620LE MiFi that rides on the Verizon 4G LTE network (launched late 2012).

I'd recommend getting a old or cheap 3G smartphone for now. I think 4G is imminent on Page Plus.
    imminent to us or to Verizon?

Feedback Score
    I have both a Droid 1 and 2. Both work great on PP but the 1 is a lot less buggy. Also, the 1 seems to get much longer battery life.

Feedback Score
    1st gen it is "for now", bid has been placed on ebay! Thank you all very much!

Phones
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Moto Droid as an accessory
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Re: Can I get a recomendation for a smart phone?

I was happy with mine and I had about 100 apps on it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Thanks Ya'll
    I have seen Droid 2s for around $50 on ebay. That might be a better phone to get than the Droid 1. Here's an example I found:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140815106429...84.m1438.l2649

Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveanderson13 View Post
    I was happy with mine and I had about 100 apps on it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums
    I notice you're now using an Bionic, which is what I would get if we can use 4G phones

I was never overly impressed with the Droid A855. I like the Droid 2, Incredible, and especially Droid X for a few bucks more. All can run Gingerbread and I think most A855 are stuck on Froyo. Plus the keyboard seems unnatural, all in a row.
    Droid X / Droid 2 Global / Incredible
    PPC - TNT1200

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast