Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Porting old number to straight talk - how difficult is it?

Feedback Score

Porting old number to straight talk - how difficult is it?

I just bought a used iPhone 4 and plan to port my old number (prepaid T mobile) to straight talk. In theory, it should be simple, right? But I hear stories about how it is often difficult. I was wondering what all the fuss is about. I ordered an ATT sim from straight talk, should be arriving today. I also ordered a T mobile prepaid sim to try the sim swap method so I can manually input my APN settings (and get MMS working).

Phone
    Apple iPhone 5s
    Carrier
    Straight Talk (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dgposton View Post
    I just bought a used iPhone 4
    Might need some further details on this iPhone. What network was it used on? I believe that the AT&T iPhone 4 is able to be used, but the Verizon iPhone 4 is not.

plan to port my old number (prepaid T mobile) to straight talk. In theory, it should be simple, right? But I hear stories about how it is often difficult.
    I infer that at one point, it was more difficult to port numbers over, maybe back in the spring/summer of 2012. Personally, it was very simple to go from AT&T postpaid to ST. I believe that it is important, though to have your old number be "active," as in can receive phone calls. If your old phone is not currently able to be used, you may need to top up to make it active again. I think porting requires the old number to be "on network." I think that if you allow your prepaid number to lapse and you aren't using it anymore, it actually goes into a pool where somebody else can pick it up, so I would probably do this sooner rather than later. Others may be able to comment more on this issue.

I also ordered a T mobile prepaid sim to try the sim swap method so I can manually input my APN settings (and get MMS working).
    I have read that it is more difficult to do the T-Mobile SIM swap with an iPhone 4 (not 4S) locked to AT&T. I was able to initially do the SIM swap with my 4S locked to AT&T, and I have since unlocked it.

In sum, you should make sure that your "old" prepaid T-Mobile SIM is active before porting, and that the iPhone 4 is an unlocked AT&T iPhone 4. You may be able to get the SIM swap to work with a locked AT&T iPhone 4, but I have not read anybody successfully doing it. At the very least, you can probably use the unlockit.co.nz APN profile to get data working. (and not MMS :/ )

Feedback Score
    I ported my landline to an old iphone 3GS just a couple of weeks ago and it went smooth. No trouble at all. It took a few days but both phones worked partially while they were porting it.

Feedback Score
    When you port your number over your password is the pin number you setup on your phone not the password used to check mins on Tmo's site. That was my problem.

There is no need to get another Tmo sim the old one will work just fine.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Just did a port, pretty painless

I just got an ST AT&T SIM and ported my T-Mobile number over in about 2.5 hours from the time I entered the info on the Web page. The phone # works fine, but my data connection isn't working (yet).
    Last edited by harrylj; 01-29-2013 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Clarify

Phone
    Nexus 5
    Carrier
    Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    I ported from the regional carrier C Spire to ST in about 24 hours. No issues what so ever.
    I will have questions for you.
    Don't be afraid to ask me questions.

Carrier
    StraightTalk - AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I just bought a used iPhone 4 and plan to port my old number (prepaid T mobile) to straight talk. In theory, it should be simple, right?
    It should be very fast and simple, but you must provide the correct PIN from your T-Mobile account.

Phones
    Sony Xperia U
    Xperia U, Astound, E90
    E61/i, E63, N96, N97 Mini
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I didn't want to trust ST with my number so I ported it to Google Voice for $20, then when I got my new number I just forwarded my old number to my new number

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by harrylj View Post
    I just got an ST AT&T SIM and ported my T-Mobile number over in about 2.5 hours from the time I entered the info on the Web page. The phone # works fine, but my data connection isn't working (yet).
    this is a little off topic, but does T-mobile give you a pin code that you can use when porting out. Whenever I access my account they ask for the last 4 of my ssn. Is that my pin for porting purposes or do I need to request a pin?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hayburner View Post
    Might need some further details on this iPhone. What network was it used on? I believe that the AT&T iPhone 4 is able to be used, but the Verizon iPhone 4 is not.

I infer that at one point, it was more difficult to port numbers over, maybe back in the spring/summer of 2012. Personally, it was very simple to go from AT&T postpaid to ST. I believe that it is important, though to have your old number be "active," as in can receive phone calls. If your old phone is not currently able to be used, you may need to top up to make it active again. I think porting requires the old number to be "on network." I think that if you allow your prepaid number to lapse and you aren't using it anymore, it actually goes into a pool where somebody else can pick it up, so I would probably do this sooner rather than later. Others may be able to comment more on this issue.

I have read that it is more difficult to do the T-Mobile SIM swap with an iPhone 4 (not 4S) locked to AT&T. I was able to initially do the SIM swap with my 4S locked to AT&T, and I have since unlocked it.

In sum, you should make sure that your "old" prepaid T-Mobile SIM is active before porting, and that the iPhone 4 is an unlocked AT&T iPhone 4. You may be able to get the SIM swap to work with a locked AT&T iPhone 4, but I have not read anybody successfully doing it. At the very least, you can probably use the unlockit.co.nz APN profile to get data working. (and not MMS :/ )
    By the way, if you have an unlocked iphone 4 (say, T-mobile originally) can it take a Straight Talk ATT micro sim card?

Feedback Score
    I don't think there were any original t-mobile iphones. Folks take AT&T iphone4 over to t-mobile after it is unlocked.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thefisch View Post
    I don't think there were any original t-mobile iphones. Folks take AT&T iphone4 over to t-mobile after it is unlocked.
    OK, so phones on ebay that say 'unlocked' are ATT phones?

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    It could come from any GSM carrier in the world who offered iPhones. Some carriers never offered locked iPhones. It also could have been sold directly by Apple for use on a GSM network.
    Last edited by efparri; 02-08-2013 at 03:19 PM.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score

Porting old number to straight talk - how difficult is it?

I ported 2 iPhone 4's yesterday, the process took about 20 minutes or so for both of them. Never ran into problems.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The telephone model is immaterial. You are transferring telephone numbers from one carrier to another.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast