Samsung T629
    Nokia 3595
    Motorola Timeport
    Carrier
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Format 64 GB micro SD card for use in Samsung Galaxy Note 2

I have a sandisk 64gb microsd card that I want to use in my Note 2 but when I insert the card into the phone and go to storage in settings it shows only "mount sd" and when I click on mount it shows "checking sd card" and then "blank Sd" but nothing else changes. It stays on "Mount Sd". Ive tried a 8gb card and 32 gb card and each goes directly to displaying the actual card storage without needing to mount it or anything. Ive tried to format the 64gb card in my widows computer but get the error that windows cant format it. Is there a problem with the card? I bought it from bestbuy.com and have not used it at all since now trying to get it to work on my Note 2. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Phones
    I727 Skyrocket;BB Curve 9360
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Re: Format 64gb microsd card for use in Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Did you try formatting it in the phone? You can't do it from Windows 7 as it uses exfat. It needs to be fat32. There's forums over at xda explaining this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using HowardForums

Phones
    Samsung T629
    Nokia 3595
    Motorola Timeport
    Carrier
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks for the response! Yes as I stated when I insert the card into the phone it only gives me the option to mount the card and after I click on mount it goes to "Checking the card' and then "card is blank" but nothing else happens. When I put in a 8gb card and also a 32gb card it doesnt require any other action from me as the storage amount is reflected instantly. In regards to doing it on the computer it does give me the option to format it to fat32 but then later says that windows cant do it so I guess you are right about that but there are youtube videos of others doing it so I dont know. I will check on XDA thanks!!

Phones
    Samsung Note 3, LG Clout, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Motorola StarTac ST7868W (no longer used)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Format it in Windows as exFAT. That is what I did for my SanDisk 64GB microSDXC card.
    The only time a 64GB card needs to be in FAT32 is if you have an rooted phone, with an unlocked bootloader, have Clock Work Mod installed and want to make system backups to the memory card. This is because CWM can't see exFAT cards. So you have to use a special program to format the 64GB card as FAT32.
    But if this does not apply to you, then format it as exFAT.
    => Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

=> VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

Phones
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Re: Format 64gb microsd card for use in Samsung Galaxy Note 2

^^ what he said. I always assume everyone on android is rooted running custom roms lol.

Also, to anyone that cares:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1777970
    Seems cwm touch has been updated to support exfat!

Phones
    Samsung T629
    Nokia 3595
    Motorola Timeport
    Carrier
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Format 64gb microsd card for use in Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Thanks for all your responses. I in fact do have a a Verizon note 2 that is rooted with an unlocked bootloader. But I have had same problem prior to rooting etc as I am having after. In addition it seems I cannot format it on my computer to either fat32 or exfat as it says it cannot format it. On the computer the default problem to format it is set to "capacity 20.6 mb, fat(default) and default allocation size" does that all seem correct for a 64gb card? Thanks again !

Phones
    Samsung T629
    Nokia 3595
    Motorola Timeport
    Carrier
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Here's another twist to my problems. So I downloaded a program called SDformatter and put my microsd card into a sd adapter and try to format it the program can't because it says it's write protected. Ok so I take out card and turn off write protection supposedly on the card and insert it again but it still says its write protected. I then try another sd adapter and same thing. I then take out microsd card and put it into a card reader and try to format it it says the same thing OMG!!!

Phones
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Re: Format 64 GB micro SD card for use in Samsung Galaxy Note 2

See if you can put it in your phone and plug it into your computer. Than try to see if the computer can see it as a separate drive and try to format it from there. What recovery are you running?

Carriers
    At&t
    Feedback Score

Did you happen to buy the card at a reputable location? Just trying to rule out a bogus card.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    At&t SGS III Belton/Nolanville, TX

Phones
    Samsung T629
    Nokia 3595
    Motorola Timeport
    Carrier
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I am new at rooting/unlocking bootloader but I retread the steps I did via galaxynote2root.com and it should be stock android recovery. I will try your suggestion when I get home. Thanks ! I purchased the card from bestbuy.com back in october when they had a sale on it but sadly I didn't use the card until now when I got my note 2 so it's brand new.

Carrier
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

Found this in the "external storage" GN2 specs:
    "microSD, microSDHC, microSDXC up to 64 GB"

It's not clear, but (based solely on the missing comma) it's possible that, for 64GB, you must have an XC series card.

Unless someone can report successfully using a 64GB HC?
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Perspective instantiates reality.

Phones
    Galaxy Note 2
    Galaxy Note 2
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    So has anyone successfully been able to format a 64GB card to work on the GN2??

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Moto Droid
    Carrier
    VZDub
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RN$ View Post
    So has anyone successfully been able to format a 64GB card to work on the GN2??
    Yes. I'm using a 64GB card in my Note2 without issue and it didn't take any tricks to format it.

Phones
    Samsung Note 3, LG Clout, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Motorola StarTac ST7868W (no longer used)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The SanDisk 64GB card come formatted as exFAT and works in a Note 2 just fine.
    If you read my earlier post above, if you happen to get a different brand that doesn't come formatted, then you can have the phone format the card, or do it in Windows as exFAT.
    But if you root your phone and want CWM (Clock Work Mod recovery) to recognize the card, you'll have to download a program for your PC to format the card are FAT32, since CWM can't view exFAT cards.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Nucleartx View Post
    Did you happen to buy the card at a reputable location? Just trying to rule out a bogus card.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    I like this possibility the most. Counterfeiting is actually very common when it comes to SD and Micro SD cards. The card will act very oddly and not perform as expected. I would definetly at least try to verify legitimacy of the card before going any further with formatting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast