Thread: Porting From Verizon to Straight Talk

Phone
    Nexus 5, iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    Lycamobile, Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score

Porting From Verizon to Straight Talk

Here is what I told a family member who is currently using an Android 2.3 phone on Verizon. I'd appreciate advice on errors/omissions or any tips or tricks to make the transition go smooth. Thanks

"Once you are out of contract go to Walmart and look at their Straight talk phones. Those that are for Verizon should have "cmda-v" on the package or in the model number. They will probably also have a red coverage map making them easier to pick out. Other ST phones are for att or t-mobile you are not interested. The walmart employee can probably verify it's verizon but don't put faith in anything they tell you. I believe these are the phones you will be interested in:

Samsung Galaxy S S950C (verizon)
    Samsung Galaxy Proclaim S720C (verizon)
    LG Optimus Zip L75C (verizon)

1) If they have something you like, buy the phone and take it home.

2) Follow the instructions and activate online don't call they suck. You will be given the option to keep your existing number and will need info like your verizon account number and pin. Choose the $45 plan. Set up auto payment. Do this a week or more before your Verizon billing period is up.

3) Don't call Verizon first to cancel your service you'll lose your number. After your phone is working on Straight talk you can verify with verizon it's canceled."

Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Re: Porting From Verizon to Straight Talk

Yeah that sounds pretty accurate. If that family member doesn’t do picture texting then I'd strongly recommend porting the number to Google Voice. Straight Talk has been known to lose phone numbers during a port.
    nex·us [nek-suhs]
    noun, plural nex·us·es, nex·us.

Phone
    Nexus 5, iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    Lycamobile, Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MkVsTheWorld View Post
    Yeah that sounds pretty accurate. If that family member doesn’t do picture texting then I'd strongly recommend porting the number to Google Voice. Straight Talk has been known to lose phone numbers during a port.
    Thanks, I agree on GV but when I tried to explain that in person I got a glazed over look. I may reconsider and rec they get the ST phone with a new number, be sure they are happy with the service, then port VZ to GV and aim at their new phone.

Feedback Score
    I recently purchased a ST cellphone and set up the port Verizon # to ST. ST received the port on Sunday and told me that when my V cellphone stopped working the ST cell would be operational! Wrong! Activation didn't work and I was informed that the SIM card needed to be replaced with the correct one! Since then it's been one call after another to ST support with no new SIM card shipped yet! Help!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawforwest View Post
    I recently purchased a ST cellphone and set up the port Verizon # to ST. ST received the port on Sunday and told me that when my V cellphone stopped working the ST cell would be operational! Wrong! Activation didn't work and I was informed that the SIM card needed to be replaced with the correct one! Since then it's been one call after another to ST support with no new SIM card shipped yet! Help!!
    Finally received the new SIM card and all is well now. Sorry to have to leave Verizon....was with them from Day 1, 13 years ago!
    I got a free (Refurb) Motorola W418g from ST. Really missing my far superior Verizon Motorola RAZR V3 phone. It didn't use a SIM card! ST tells me that they supply SIM cards for ATT and T-Mobile cellphones! Any thoughts from my distinguished fellow members here about getting another RAZR V3? Yes, I'm not interested in upgrading to a Smart Phone! Something about owning a phone that is smarter than me!
    Last edited by Lawforwest; 02-06-2013 at 09:27 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawforwest View Post
    Finally received the new SIM card and all is well now. Sorry to have to leave Verizon....was with them from Day 1, 13 years ago!
    I got a free (Refurb) Motorola W418g from ST. Really missing my far superior Verizon Motorola RAZR V3 phone. It didn't use a SIM card! ST tells me that they supply SIM cards for ATT and T-Mobile cellphones! Any thoughts from my distinguished fellow members here about getting another RAZR V3? Yes, I'm not interested in upgrading to a Smart Phone! Something about owning a phone that is smarter than me!
    I, too, look back on my original RAZR with great fondness. It will go down as one of my favorite phones.

If you decide to attempt to find another one, make sure it is a GSM version (takes the SIM card). I wonder if they even made a GSM version? The verizon versions of the RAZR, I understand, would probably not work on straight talk.

Phones
    Nokia e71
    Nokia e71
    Nexus 4 (on the way :))
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by oberkc View Post
    I, too, look back on my original RAZR with great fondness. It will go down as one of my favorite phones.

If you decide to attempt to find another one, make sure it is a GSM version (takes the SIM card). I wonder if they even made a GSM version? The verizon versions of the RAZR, I understand, would probably not work on straight talk.
    I had a T-mobile RAZR V3 several years back. It was a fine phone, but I'll keep my Lg Nexus 4. lol

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by naranja View Post
    Thanks, I agree on GV but when I tried to explain that in person I got a glazed over look. I may reconsider and rec they get the ST phone with a new number, be sure they are happy with the service, then port VZ to GV and aim at their new phone.
    I tell people to get a GV number ahead of time and start giving it out as their new number, stop giving the old or actual cell number out.
    That way when it comes time to change over to ST and the new number, people already have the GV number and you don't need to give out the new cell number, just keep giving out the GV number.
    This way it doesn't matter what phone or provider you use, they dial the same number to reach which ever phone you are on and you don't have to go through a port process because you did the GV thing ahead of time.

ST to IPhone http://howardforums.com/bYd8e
    ST to Android http://howardforums.com/Xael3
    ST to Windows Phone http://howardforums.com/MMuZH
    Tracfone CS at 800-876-5753 or 800-626-4883
    Phone Number for Google Customer Service. 18558363987

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndroidFoneFan View Post
    I tell people to get a GV number ahead of time and start giving it out as their new number, stop giving the old or actual cell number out.
    That way when it comes time to change over to ST and the new number, people already have the GV number and you don't need to give out the new cell number, just keep giving out the GV number.
    This way it doesn't matter what phone or provider you use, they dial the same number to reach which ever phone you are on and you don't have to go through a port process because you did the GV thing ahead of time.
    I do exactly the same thing. I forward my calls to cell phones, work phone, Skype, and google voice. There are a few minor annoyances with picture messages, but it generally works very well.

Carrier
    T-mobile,VZW
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by oberkc View Post
    I do exactly the same thing. I forward my calls to cell phones, work phone, Skype, and google voice. There are a few minor annoyances with picture messages, but it generally works very well.
    Me too. I never give out an actual cell phone number. Just move forwarding around as I switch carriers. Saves a lot of trouble. I give out my Line2 number, and people have that to reach me.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Feedback Score
    Same here! I don't give out my cellphone number! Just have my other numbers forwarded to the cellphone!

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The only problem with GV redirecting to any number is that it takes atleast 3 rings before my ST-ATT phone starts ringing.
    That was the case in NYC and same in Chicago. I am pretty sure ATT is to be blamed for it I guess. But the points is normally people wait for 4-5 rings before they disconnect and if I am a little slow in picking up the phone I have miss calls.
    On Tmobile it was much worse the calls will goto VM even before the phone rings. I hope this will improve over time and I can see the advantages of Google voice. Use it as a visual voicemail and occasionally giving the number to ppl who I dont want to have my main number.

On a side note @lawforwest try using the nexus 4, its not very expensive when you compare to other smartphones of same class. Plus it wont get outdated on the software front atleast cannot say about the hardware. I assume you have the 45$ plan?