Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Drop the name

Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Drop the name

Before any google phones are released, Google's gotta change the company name from Motorola to "M'.

This should also be the name of their only high end phone. Permanently.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums
    Last edited by Steveanderson13; 01-31-2013 at 11:07 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveanderson13 View Post
    Before any google phones are released, Google's gotta change the company name from Motorola to "M'.

Why?

10 char

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Re: Drop the name

You mean I should posit something? Lol

Ok, deal. Much is discussed in the other thread about new directions all of which I agree with. But it seems Google's focus is too narrow. While they have made many decisions to retrench, they still seem to be basically continuing Motorola's phone manufacturing unchanged with the sole exception of making a better or more creative phone. That is narrow. It is analogous to Microsoft and Surface or Lumia. Though both may be good products, Microsoft has no allure. Microsoft probably considers their primary advantage to be Windows users. While true, it is obviously insufficient. Thus while Motorola also has advantages, they are also insufficient to extend to the product.
    So they need a clean break with the past both on the outside and inside. Of course it takes more than a name but I would hope that that change would be reflective of more substantial ones as discussed in the other thread.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Yep. I have struggled for a long time and through lots of forum posts that are basically me thinking with fast fingers. I know it's a marketing issue that everyone has in competing effectively in the USA with Apple. And it's NOT advertising related, even if a bigger ad budget like Samsung is using does help a lot. Advertising is just a minor corner of marketing that is part of the tail end of an overall marketing strategy.

Marketing though really needs to start with deciding who you really want to be your customers. Apple wants every individual man, woman, and child in at least the USA as a customer. They view the networks more as necessary obstacles in their effort to connect with their customers, RATHER than their first and most important customer. I really think Motorola and Samsung see the networks as the first and most important customers. Samsung wouldn't announce some device and let ALL of America see it trotted out only to tell them well the rest of the world gets this real soon.....but YOU GUYS will have to wait 6 months if they really viewed every man, woman, and child in the USA *** their primary customers. They and Moto see the networks as their primary customer than needs to be pleased first rather than an obstacle in the path to connecting with their customer.

This aspect I am quite sure is why Apple has been able to trample all over every last long entrenched cellular OEM in what is really a short 5 year span of an industry now around 20 years old. This didn't happen because the first iPhone itself was so revolutionary or because they had such profound launch events and advertising pushes. They were even handicapped by only existing on AT&T until 2011. It didn't matter though cause they saw AT&T as more of an obstacle as I pointed out above than as a customer. And they treated them accordingly initially, demanding a share of subscription costs and everything rather than simply accepting some sum of money for some number of devices. This was EXTREME confidence they had caught their target customers attention and assumed those customers would actually move to AT&T just to become Apple customers. Still though, to this day, the subsidy level for iPhones, even though they go upto $400 upfront cost, is some of the highest demanded by ANY OEM. This is only allowed because Apple has so successfully targeted their end users as customers rather than targeting networks as customers than then sell their stuff to end users.

Now, even Apple has flaws with their marketing strategy. I think one of the biggest is their demand of and reliance on Networks heavily subsidizing the cost of their wares. I actually believe they have so much clout over the networks that the subsidized network tied devices earn them more per device than they get when a customer buys them unlocked at full price. I think they would be pushing the unlocked/unsubsidized versions harder online and at their stores if this were not the case. All of this clout is derived almost directly from effective full spectrum marketing that goes FAR beyond advertising.

The networks are going to initially be very annoyed with a player that duplicates this well, but totally ignores them other than hassling them with models compatible with their networks without a lot of big deals to do so.......but will eventually go all in when they realize...hey wait...I'm not killing myself every time these launch trying to keep up with the subsidies, but all my subscribers are sticking with me anyhow and just using this device I've had no input on.

Feedback Score
    BTW, I am not concerned with the name. I think Motorola still has lots of value as a complete name. I often say using the TAC nomenclature even would be good. There is a lot of value from a marketing/Ad perspective to keep people aware of the fact you aren't a new kid on the block and have been able to stand the test of time well. It can work to your advantage if certain aspects have never faltered. And to me Motorola has always had mostly great products from a radio/reception stand point. Some of the best really and that fact is hard to publicize if you disconnect your name from it's traditional usage somehow.

I think the real issue is they are traditionally a B2B supplier whose brand image has gained good recognition among end users, but are an entity that has never learned how to actually connect with those end users and whose focus is still more on their business partners as the primary customers. Them and various others used to be both the infrastructure and device suppliers and general consultants/helpers of all the networks. They have got winnowed down to a consumer device maker/brand for the part that remains with Google though. This entity that was part of a much grander old Moto had obviously never learned completely how to be an end user marketer and still sorta operates as the network supplier of old.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

All correct. I would use apple's model as a base--except for gouging the carriers. I think that undermines their position.

Feedback Score
    What I find fascinating is that the nature of Android being open and easily modifiable and adaptable is allowed to be exploited by the carriers to force some nonsense that can jack with your overall marketing strategy and it's consistency. Even the Galaxy devices have slightly different little UI and feature differences from one network to the next. This fact deteriorates the marketing clout of the Galaxy brand by making each Galaxy something ever so slightly different from one network to the next in a way you just don't see with Apple or even Windows devices for that matter.

And it needs to go all they way down to stuff like Google Wallet compatibility. Apple probably wants to do a Google Wallet like thing with iPhones, but the networks are probably the least of their worries so much as the breadth of how many places they can have it compatible at launch. I am actually betting they are working behind the scenes almost totally unconcerned about ISIS as they get some satisfactory to them number of retailers and CC vendors on board to have stuff that will work with their setup soon after whatever gen iPhone they plan to have it hit on. Basically though, most iPhone features work the same from one network to the next. When they don't, it's really Apple being to dependent on the network subsidy than because they wouldn't like for it to be consistent for their customer experience's sake.

And really I think the only way you accomplish this better than Apple is to walk away from the subsidy and reliance on carrier to help sell the device model. Google seems to get this on some level, but they are trying to sell advertisers a market of mobile users rather sell devices and it's confusing their effort in the Nexus realm. With Motorola they now have COMPLETE control of the device so maybe they will get it figured out.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

… Much is discussed in the other thread about new directions …
    For "the other thread" see here:]http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...n pretty quiet

By vzw S3 on CM10 – via HoFo app.
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 02-10-2013 at 06:44 AM.
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Perspective instantiates reality.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

Now, about that OP —

It's not in me to change the company name. Gee, I never stopped drinking Gatorade. Anyway, the "Motorola" brand has a strong following to build on.

But a fixed top end model name is a good idea. Too bad "M" already stands for 'mid-range' or 'middling.'
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 02-10-2013 at 09:21 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    Too bad "M" already stands for 'mid-range' or 'middling.'
    Not to BMW:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M

Don't see 'mid-range" or "middling" here:

http://www.google.com/search?q=+m+se....1.3jSdqk3sJ0Y

Feedback Score

Drop the name

Google could do what others have done buy keeping the Moto brand and creating a newfangled name brand for their premiere line.
    The Widget line?
    Like Ford and Lincoln, Nissan and Datson, etc one company makes a good brand and a top line brand.

ST to IPhone http://goo.gl/bYd8e
    ST to Android http://goo.gl/Xael3
    ST to Windows Phone http://goo.gl/MMuZH
    Tracfone CS at 800-876-5753 or 800-626-4883
    Phone Number for Google Customer Service. 18558363987

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

Motorola RAZR M Review: The Almost-Nexus Is Almost Good | Gizmodo Australia

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/12/mo...st-good/<br />

"The RAZR M doesn’t feel like a smartphone you’d be happy about owning for a full 24-months. It instead feels like a phone that belongs in the high-end pre-paid market. That’s not a bad thing, it just means it’s priced incorrectly. If this was $300-$349 outright, it’d fly off the shelves like the original RAZR V3 did."

There's plenty more, if anyone needs it…

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Razr M was pre-Google.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

Yes, in the pipeline, that's true. A valid and very logical point. Only… It's about the public perception of the name "M" as associated with Motorola. It shouldn't be necessary to explain why logic doesn't apply.

Still, as I said, I think your idea of having one evolving Motorola flagship model name, "permanently," is a very good one. The executive idiot who allowed "M" to be wasted on a mid-grade handset … sad.

Last edited by TC_Mits; 02-11-2013 at 12:41 AM.

Feedback Score
    I still say SmarTAC is the way to go. Any "recovery" intended device needs to start really fresh. Since the Smart RAZR's have been a VZW Droid thing, I think you need to disconnect from that. Moto M device just sound redundant and sorta uncreative in a silly way like the One thing HTC is doing.

SmarTAC would recall the most dominant and successful era of Moto sorta. And allude to their currently most clear strength over their competitors.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast