Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: BYOD for Page Plus

Feedback Score

BYOD for Page Plus

So is the BYOD service not advertised? Is it more akin to a "hack" that people are doing with phones. Which phones work and why? Which phones don't? I read through the FAQ and am still a bit confused. Someone tlel me like I'm 5 years old

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by timmytucker View Post
    So is the BYOD service not advertised? Is it more akin to a "hack" that people are doing with phones. Which phones work and why? Which phones don't? I read through the FAQ and am still a bit confused. Someone tlel me like I'm 5 years old
    Any Vzw dumb or feature phone that wasn't purchased as a Vzw prepaid phone will work for talk and text with no modifications on PPC. To get MMS (usually) and WAP working requires modifications involving BitPim and a Hex Editor.

If you're looking for a smart phone to use on PPC, see below for some information. Any phone must have a clean Vzw ESN to be used on PPC.
    --Any Vzw 3G (no 4G) Android, WinPho, WebOS, or WinMo smart phone will work 100% on PPC with no modifications.
    --iPhones (4 & 4S) are not "banned", but are not "supposed" to be used on PPC, although there are plenty of forum postings reporting that they work fine. There have been warnings stating that iPhones "could" be deactivated by PPC or Vzw, but so far, there have been no reports of that happening.
    --Blackberries require loading of service books to get MMS and data to work properly on PPC, but lots of people are able to do it successfully, so that everything except BIS works.
    --4G phones can be made to work, but it isn't easy, and even then only 1x or sometimes 3G data speeds can be achieved, but never 4G, since PPC doesn't currently support 4G. There are massive threads on various forums about trying to make modifications to get 4G phones to work fully on PPC. As an alternative, a flashing service might be able to get 4G phones to work on PPC.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    be careful of Besiegephone site tho, they have some kind of scam where they are charging people $40 to get their iphone onto PP.. which u can do for free by going to a dealer or chatting w PP

Feedback Score
    Awesome, thanks for the answer! I might switch from Straight Talk to Pageplus, since Pageplus seems a lot more straight forward about what they offer.

My only question, why don't they give the information about what phones are allowed on their website instead of making them hunt around on forums? You think if they let people know more openly, they'd get a lot more customers.

AI mean, it's probably some restriction that verizon place on them. After I made this post, I searched around the web. I noticed other dealers came right out and said just exactly which phones work. If their dealers can say it, why can't the official website?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    because then Verizon will lose customers... Lol most people dont give a crap about 4G and are happy with their older droids, Iphone 4, 4S, etc. Everytime i mention PP to a VZ customer tehy dont know what im talking about. Verizon wants to have a "exclusivity" associated with their services & if word got out that there was a better deal for exact same service and ability to use smartphones then ppl would switch...most ppl see the crappy phones onine on PP that they offer and are turned off

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I figured as much. I just find it weird that authorized dealers mention verizon explicitly, although only refers to vzn by ''other network provider''. Perhaps verizon's legal team contacted them.
    Last edited by icebook; 02-03-2013 at 11:04 PM. Reason: removed advertising violation

Feedback Score
    Any authorized PPlus dealer that mentions VZW explicitly is doing so in violation of his contract with PPlus.

Carriers
    Selectel Wireless
    RingPlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by timmytucker View Post
    My only question, why don't they give the information about what phones are allowed on their website instead of making them hunt around on forums? You think if they let people know more openly, they'd get a lot more customers.
    I think the main reason is probably because they don't want to be stuck supporting hundreds of different phones. Even though they advertise BYOD (and the responsibilities that come with bringing your own phone) a lot people still want technical support for their hardware. If Page Plus mentioned specific phones it would be like giving those phones their official "seal" of approval and the responsibility to support them.

Carriers
    ATT,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
    I think the main reason is probably because they don't want to be stuck supporting hundreds of different phones. Even though they advertise BYOD (and the responsibilities that come with bringing your own phone) a lot people still want technical support for their hardware. If Page Plus mentioned specific phones it would be like giving those phones their official "seal" of approval and the responsibility to support them.

That is the correct answer.
    The general rules of what handsets can and cannot be activated on Pageplus are pretty straightforward. If the company were to delve into exact details and list each and every handset it would imply they would be willing to provide tech support for them. That costs them money.

Furthermore PP also wants to sell their own branded phones to new customers since its a quite profitable revenue stream. Any opportunity to push those ahead of BYOD is in their best interests.

Phones
    HTC EVO 3D
    HTC EVO 3D
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I'm currently running a Thunderbolt on PP. Like the other poster said, you can only get 1G when a 4G phone is flashed to work on PP.
    Last edited by icebook; 02-04-2013 at 04:13 AM. Reason: removed advertising violations
    Next G Mobile Authorized Dealer

Feedback Score
    Just get any clean esn contract Verizon 3G device in general. Some people like to flash the 4G stuff but to me it's a pain in the butt and a waste of time seeing as how you pay extra and don't even get LTE anyway. Just ota *228 and be done with it.

Carriers
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score

Re: BYOD for Page Plus

I've got a 4G droid Razr on PP and i have 3g all day everyday. As well as working mms sms and talk. It did take me a while to find a thread And be comfortable with doing it myself but it i did. And my 3g Is fast. Between 2 and 4 Mbits/sec . There are places to do it for you, I wouldn't trust beigephones. but I can confirm 4G phones do NOT only have 1x data.

And fonez, it's a pain in the a$$, but when 4G arrives to PP( I hear may be soon) it will be well worth the wait.
    sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx JB

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dougeetx View Post
    I'm currently running a Thunderbolt on PP. Like the other poster said, you can only get 1G when a 4G phone is flashed to work on PP.
    This isn't 100% correct. I have read that if you have a Vzw donor phone, you can get 3G speeds on a Sprint phone, and recently, it seems that some Sprint phones can get 3G speeds even without a Vzw donor phone, if you follow some particular instructions.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    What are the best 3g only (no flashing required) phones?

Carrier
    TracFone, BYO Wireless
    Feedback Score

Re: BYOD for Page Plus

Quote Originally Posted by grayson73 View Post
    What are the best 3g only (no flashing required) phones?
    HTC INCREDIBLE both 1 & 2, Motorola X and Motorola X2
    Mobile data is good. Life is too short to seek wifi just to check email.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast