Thread: Anyone have experience with "Straight Talk Wireless Home Phone" Service?

Feedback Score

Anyone have experience with "Straight Talk Wireless Home Phone" Service?

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with the home phone service through straight talk and what your experience has been. thanks.

Feedback Score
    I've been wondering the same thing. My understanding is it works off the Verizon network and is essentially the same unit. The reviews I've read on the Verizon service indicate sound quality is on par with a cell phone. Some reviews think the quality is worse. Others have no complaints I've also read it depends upon how good of a signal you get, and that it helps to place it near a window. Fax, home alarms systems, lifeline type services, and anything that needs dialup data type connections won't work. It's probably something you have to try for yourself to see if it works for you. I think you can return the unit if it doesn't, although I don't believe there's any refund on the airtime card.

Of course all of that is based upon reviews I've read. I haven't actually had experience with it, but I'm interested in it. I'd also be interested in hearing some opinions from folks on this board.

Carrier
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    You might want to ask that question in the Straight Talk Forum. They run it on Verizon towers, so you could ask about the Verizon product in the Verizon forum as well.
    Questions?? Read the FAQs: The Prepaid FAQ . The Straight Talk FAQ
    Disagree with someone? Be Nice!
    Report posts that violate the rules by clicking the dark triangle at the bottom, left of the post.

I have blocked some Hofo users and so I don't see and won't respond to messages from them.

Phones
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    HTC Diamond
    HTC TP2
    Carriers
    Sprint PCS
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    It's too bad that one has to buy ST's Home Connect instead of a used VZW from eBay... That adds $80 to the deal...

I'm sure the service is fine but the problem is dealing with ST. People have been known to lose their numbers on ST and porting out maybe not be pretty... And since its my home number of 13 years, losing it to ST would be very irritating...

Phone
    Atrix/Skyrocket/R455C/Samsung Jack
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    I have used it since it came out. Sounds good. Cheap. It will work many many places. $15 is hard to beat. I use google voice the number was of no concern. I enter no more than 2 months at once because of trust issues

Carrier
    Straighttalk
    Feedback Score
    If you have a functioning cell phone, that works in your home, what are the advantages of using a Straight Talk home system? Do you want it just to connect an answering machine, or is there somebody that needs a phone when you aren't home? My wife and mine's phones both hook up by Bluetooth to our cordless phone when we connect our chargers. One time cost for the Bluetooth cordless phone system and no extra monthly charge.

Sent from my R800at using HowardForums

Phones
    bb tour
    ve20(old) lg rythm(old)
    glimmer/ax8600/wave/e815/nokia 6255i(bit the dust)
    Carrier
    alltel/ATN
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mirayge View Post
    If you have a functioning cell phone, that works in your home, what are the advantages of using a Straight Talk home system? Do you want it just to connect an answering machine, or is there somebody that needs a phone when you aren't home? My wife and mine's phones both hook up by Bluetooth to our cordless phone when we connect our chargers. One time cost for the Bluetooth cordless phone system and no extra monthly charge.

Sent from my R800at using HowardForums
    We have considered one for our home since we both have cell phones and children who are 8 to 10. They are entering the age where they are beginning to discover the uses of talking to friends or family members on the phone. Neither on of us likes the idea of them giving out our personal numbers to their friends nor do we feel comfortable handing over our nice, expensive smart phones to young children to use while they are on the phone. We could activate an older dumphone on a prepaid plan but the monthly cost coupled with the unlimited minutes of the home phone device makes it a better alternative. The only part that I don't like is the initial start up cost to purchase the equipment. With the addition of straight talks byo vzw device it would be nice if they would allow a used vzw branded home phone connect to be used with the $15 monthly cost they offer with their own branded device. As it is I could purchase a used vzw hpc and activate it thru vzw directly and just pay them $20 a month for the service and I wouldn't even reach the break even point for almost 2 years. The nice part of it is you can take your home phone with you on vacation if you wish or even with a little creative wiring maintain a voice only line on the vzw network that you could keep in your car or work van. I could see this working great for a contractor or traveling salesman who already had an at&t based line and wanted that extra coverage. Coupled with a google voice number set to froward to both numbers you would never miss a call.

Sent from my XT862 using HowardForums
    what is this new feature, and how can I manipulate it in order to make myself seem superior to those around me?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A google voice box is way better... there is one called obi... no monthly fees

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cell_Phone33 View Post
    A google voice box is way better... there is one called obi... no monthly fees
    Just looked that up. Why haven't I heard of that. For people paying monthly fees for Voip they are getting ripped off. I am ordering one now. I don't need another number. Inside my house, for some reason has always been bad for cell reception with all carriers. I ported my long time cell phone number to google voice about a year ago. I use an app for google voice to use Wi-Fi calling when I am in my house so that my call quality is a little better. I think this would have better call quality since it would be connected directly to my router and I would just use a cordless phone when I am in the house.

This would be ideal for anyone looking at Vonage or any other voip provider.

Feedback Score
    +1 on the OBi. I have 2 OBi110's that I have used for almost 2 years now with 4 Google Voice numbers and they worked great. The voice quality is crystal clear. I love them. I set up 1 of the GV numbers as my main home phone number and let it ring the phone connected to the OBi110 at home and my cell phone (through the GV app) so I would not miss the calls to that number whether I'm home or not.

Phones
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Home Phone Connect,
    MOT Droid 3,
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mirayge View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by every1nosme View Post
    We have considered one for our home since we both have cell phones and children who are 8 to 10. They are entering the age where they are beginning to discover the uses of talking to friends or family members on the phone. Neither on of us likes the idea of them giving out our personal numbers to their friends nor do we feel comfortable handing over our nice, expensive smart phones to young children to use while they are on the phone. We could activate an older dumphone on a prepaid plan but the monthly cost coupled with the unlimited minutes of the home phone device makes it a better alternative. The only part that I don't like is the initial start up cost to purchase the equipment. With the addition of straight talks byo vzw device it would be nice if they would allow a used vzw branded home phone connect to be used with the $15 monthly cost they offer with their own branded device. As it is I could purchase a used vzw hpc and activate it thru vzw directly and just pay them $20 a month for the service and I wouldn't even reach the break even point for almost 2 years. The nice part of it is you can take your home phone with you on vacation if you wish or even with a little creative wiring maintain a voice only line on the vzw network that you could keep in your car or work van. I could see this working great for a contractor or traveling salesman who already had an at&t based line and wanted that extra coverage. Coupled with a google voice number set to froward to both numbers you would never miss a call.
    I have the VZW version, and I too use it to create an extra home phone line for my kid. Unlimited calling was the key since I didn't want to worry about overages.

BTW, VZW offers incoming Caller ID Name for an extra $2/month. ST doesn't. I found having a name displayed, instead of just a number, for an incoming call helpful many times.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Secrest View Post
    Just looked that up. Why haven't I heard of that. For people paying monthly fees for Voip they are getting ripped off. I am ordering one now. I don't need another number. Inside my house, for some reason has always been bad for cell reception with all carriers. I ported my long time cell phone number to google voice about a year ago. I use an app for google voice to use Wi-Fi calling when I am in my house so that my call quality is a little better. I think this would have better call quality since it would be connected directly to my router and I would just use a cordless phone when I am in the house.

This would be ideal for anyone looking at Vonage or any other voip provider.
    I got my OBi today and hooked it up to my Google Voice. It was real easy to setup. Just like Vonage, Straight Talk Home Phone, etc. but without any monthly charges. I paid $40 for the device. Works great.

Feedback Score
    After May 15, 2014, you will no longer be able to use the Google Voice communication service to make calls using the phone connected to your OBi device.

http://blog.obihai.com/2013/10/impor...gle-voice.html