Thread: Unlock code void Telus Note II warranty?

Carrier
    Bell
    Feedback Score

Unlock code void Telus Note II warranty?

I am having a discussion with someone concerning unlocking a Telus Galaxy Note II and I would like to get an opinion.

My research says that purchasing an unlock code will not void a warranty. The owner with the phone is with Telus, so I will have to assume that the phone is purchased on a subsidized plan.

Is this the case? The other guy says Telus will void the warranty if he unlocks it so I just want to make sure there is no new policy, etc. My Google-fu says that unlocking is safe.

Thanks!
    Galaxy S4 on Bell

Carriers
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

Re: Unlock code void Telus Note II warranty?

Your unlock code will not void the manufacturer warranty. Also if you do some searching you can do it for free without the code and without voiding the warranty.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Carrier
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Thanks again I think you are talking about this:
    http://galaxynote2root.com/galaxy-no...galaxy-note-2/

I only recommended the method I typically used to unlock, which was through cellunlocker.net who were never cheap in the first place (but I am picky and had good service from them in the past).

Carriers
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
    Thanks again I think you are talking about this:
    http://galaxynote2root.com/galaxy-no...galaxy-note-2/

I only recommended the method I typically used to unlock, which was through cellunlocker.net who were never cheap in the first place (but I am picky and had good service from them in the past).
    The code basically triggers the same thing that the workaround method you linked to. Same difference for warranty

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S II
    ADR6250 AKA"Hero"
    Touch Diamond CDMA
    Carrier
    MTS
    Feedback Score

Unlocking has nothing to do with warranty. Rooting will void the warranty.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using HowardForums

Carriers
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WPGHTC View Post
    Unlocking has nothing to do with warranty. Rooting will void the warranty.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using HowardForums
    Rooting "may" void your warranty if the cause of fault is deemed to be as a result of software modification.

Feedback Score
    Unlocking the phone will not void the warranty. However, if you're not a Telus customer and you require service on the device, they will not service it for you. You'll need to open a Telus account if you do have problems with it down the road.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by B407 View Post
    Unlocking the phone will not void the warranty. However, if you're not a Telus customer and you require service on the device, they will not service it for you. You'll need to open a Telus account if you do have problems with it down the road.
    A prepaid account will suffice.

Phones
    A3LSMG900T, L6ARCV70UW, QMNRM-381, A3LGTI9100, PYARM-601, PYARM-529, PPIRM-598, QMNRM-11
    PYARM-244, QTLRH-106, PPIRM-510, QTKRM-364, QURRM-485, QMNRH-66, QMNRH-55, QMNRH-71, QMNRH-34,
    BCG-E2817A, BCG-E2816A, IHDT56PG3, PKRNVWMC679, N7NAC763S, QISE181, QFXRM-675X...
    Carrier
    TELUS, Bell, SpeakOut, CSL, China Mobile, au by KDDI, Travel SIM UK
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

chriskwarren,

It will not void manufacturer warranty. However, I have also come across dealers asking if any modification made to the devices and someone would voluntarily tell them "unlocking"... Then they may ask these subscribers if the unlocking through the official, proper channel i.e. Pay TELUS $35 for the qualified devices, and warranty may not cover any problem caused by unsanctioned unlocking, etc.

It is your choice to go with whatever unlock codes provider. Just like I have been plugging DC Unlocker for modems and our HoFo sponsors for other handsets. But for me and many who have unlocked the Jelly Bean powered Samsung handsets by reinitializing the network lock code generation with encryption being turned off (i.e. essentially change the code to 000000), it just take less than a minute and cost zero dollar. Now, how can anyone beat that?

Last edited by HC - NO "i"; 02-04-2013 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Sceenshot added
    --

HC - NO "i"
    I am NOT "the" HC, we are TWO different individuals!

"If we amplify everything, we hear nothing!" - Jon Stewart, Comedian

Carrier
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Turns out the guy says he has some kind of third-party warranty sold to him by Telus that says the device cannot be unlocked. I'm still not sold on the fact but I have to take him at his word (I can see bootloader unlocking).

Thanks guys I'll continue to unlock my device lol

Phones
    A3LSMG900T, L6ARCV70UW, QMNRM-381, A3LGTI9100, PYARM-601, PYARM-529, PPIRM-598, QMNRM-11
    PYARM-244, QTLRH-106, PPIRM-510, QTKRM-364, QURRM-485, QMNRH-66, QMNRH-55, QMNRH-71, QMNRH-34,
    BCG-E2817A, BCG-E2816A, IHDT56PG3, PKRNVWMC679, N7NAC763S, QISE181, QFXRM-675X...
    Carrier
    TELUS, Bell, SpeakOut, CSL, China Mobile, au by KDDI, Travel SIM UK
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

No nonsense unlock

chriskwarren,

We are not even talking about unlocking the BL/SBL. It is just picking the provider lock. If the very same can be done by paying TELUS $35 for the 8-digit code without voiding any warranty from the manufacturer, why would be any different with the 3rd party "warranty" underwriter? I say they are pure nonsense. Enjoy your freedom

Launching the Phone key pad > *#197328640# > UMTS > Debug Screen > Phone Control > Network Lock > PERSO SHA256 OFF > SHA256_ENABLE_FLAG [0] > ServiceMode menu Back > NV Lock Data INITIALIZ > PERSO_NV_INIT is SUCCESSFUL

No cable, No root, No download, No sideload, No install, No charge, just needs stock Jelly Bean firmware and a minute or 2.
    Last edited by HC - NO "i"; 02-05-2013 at 04:39 PM.

Carrier
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    @HC: I am in agreement with you. Unfortunately, the guy I am in discussion with says his warranty forbids it in his fine print, so I need to take him at his word. I have not heard of nor seen this type of thing myself.

If it were me the phone would have been unlocked long ago lol...I was just trying to help a guy out but his mind seems made up. I just wanted to get another opinion and to make sure my advice was sound.

Carriers
    WIND Mobile
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    "Warranty is in the eyes of the beholder". In my experience, warranty claims can be blocked by one or more obstacles in its path. it's never the same story.

Friend bought an S3 from WIND corp store. Paid for an unlock code on eBay immediately. 2 days later, found out that the MicroSD socket doesn't work (tried many cards). Went back to WIND corp store, they refused to swap it. So friend said, ok, no problem, please send it out for warranty claim then (even though it is only a few days old). The corp store rep refused, said if he sent it back, they would be refused anyway, so he is not sending it back because he already knew the result.

(Eventually the manager over-rode that, and did exchange the phone for my friend. But if the manager wasn't there, then the "warranty claim" had already been OFFICIALLY refused. Because the rep spoke on behalf of the company and the rep worked at a corp store, not a dealer.)

So you see, it is in the eyes of the beholder, and thus, the answer could really vary. Warranty claim is a grain of salt...

Back to the question, IMHO, unlocking via a code entry, which is how the manufacturer intended anyway (thus how the carrier does it for you, except for iPhone of course), should not make a difference as the process is the same. Sure some would argue if the code was not obtained from the carrier (i.e. official channel), then they can void the warranty. Then if this happens in the US, then it has already violated a consumer protection law about no bundling allowed for warranty policy. But since we live in Canada, I don't know if we have equivalent consumer protection law (typically we don't have as much consumer protection here).

But unlocking via intrusive measures, such as hardware (like soldering), or software (like reading and writing of internal memory locations), can easily be identified as intrusive and thus, could be reason for voiding warranty.

As for HC-no-"i"'s example (available on several Samsung Android devices), which is a service mode key entries, there isn't any external intrusion, plus it is not even an in depth on device hack (e.g. no external software nor tools required to be installed to do so), you can say this is only a loophole being discovered, and thus, grey area. Because it does intrude into the service mode settings, which is not intended for users anyway, but since they didn't cover it up properly w/ a password or a lock, then it's no fault of the user if they were smart enough to discover that. To use that to punish the customers for voiding the warranty, is not "good business", although they have the right to do so. But then it depends if the manufacturer or the carrier wants to act like a good corporation or a bad corporation.

To me, the safest way is via carrier sanctioned unlocking, and then code entry unlocking, and then the service mode loophole, and then software intrusion, and then hardware intrusion.

This reminds me of the computer PC industry about 15 to 25 years ago. For a long period, name brand computer manufacturers or even clone builders, like to put a warranty void seal on the case, between the case cover and the rest of the body. This is even though those computers were meant to be upgraded, for example, add-on peripheral cards, memory modules, hard drives or other storage devices etc. This is both ironic and paradoxical. And some manufacturers eventually backed down saying that if the add-ons did not cause damages, then the action did not void the warranty (which means the label stating such, has no teeth). Originally they would want people not to upgrade, but to buy new machines, or only allow the manufacturers, or their representatives, such as authorized service centres or dealers, to do the upgrades.

Nowadays, you don't see that anymore. If you buy an HP or an Acer desktop system, you don't see such labels on the case cover, nor would you be served with big red letters on a piece of paper warning you of such. They have finally completely backed down due to competitions from the clone market.

But cellphones are in a different kind of market. Instead of the manufacturers taking a lead in determining warranty claims and in warranty service, or at least, authorized service centers that are published and listed by the manufacturers, these vendors allow the carriers, and then, worse, the carriers allow their independent dealers, to act on their behalf, to determine a warranty claim on behalf of the customers. Of course, the dealers don't usually have qualified technicians on staff, and thus, the sales rep would act as the sole determining agent, to decide if your phone can be claimed under warranty or not. It is not first time we have heard on HoFo about stories that such rep would simply say "liquid damage" without even taking a second look at the phone, and push it on.

A sales rep at an independent dealer is 6 layers separated from the manufacturer, which has the ultimate decision power on such claim, yet, has full power in such determination, and that is done very often (and not rare). It is ironic that in any other high tech business industry , this is not the way to do business. In the commercial or industrial world, even a very senior sales person, would never want to touch this area, and must refer to tech support or service dept to do such decision.

None of these organizations: dealers, corp stores, carriers, have their utmost interest in providing the warranty claims on behalf of the manufacturers. If the products receive a bad rap, it's not a problem for them b/c they can simply push another brand to the customers. Only the manufacturers should really worry about this.

And that points to a big difference in how warranty claim is done, by 2 companies I have had experienced with: an iPhone bought from Fido, and a Hiptop bought from Fido. The former, I simply went to Apple store and got a OTC swap after being checked out, I did it twice on the 3G model. For the Hiptop, I had it exchanged twice at Fido service center, but it was a lemon on the last one while just before my warranty runs out. After that (the swap was within weeks before end of warranty period), Fido refused to do anything for me, except to sell me on a Hiptop 2, but w/o much discount. Danger doesn't operate in Canada, and I don't want to fly down to California so I can slam that pos on their desk, b/c that's too costly. (of course, Danger is no longer Danger, they got sold to Microsoft). Plus the problem was a common known problem.

So warranty is not about the policy on paper, but more about the attitude the manufacturer wants to project to the public. Apple cares about their image, and is willing to err on the safe side and not suspect as much, and is willing to lose some false claims. Other manufacturers do not care as much, so relies on outsourced authorized service centers which I have heard usually do a poor job in interfacing w/ customers (stories go back to 10 years on HoFo here). Worse, when the carrier is acting as the go-between, then you are really stucked, b/c why would they want to give you warranty, if they can sell you on another phone? What? You can't afford $800. on a new iPhone? No problem, just sign another 3 year contract and we'll give you a deal (like drug dealers pushing drugs to addicts). SO they have a motive that doesn't go in line w/ warranty success.

Very often, manufacturers do not provide warranty service directly. Apple is an exception here, and a good one.
    No longer on a leash by Fido