Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Samsung Galaxy S2 from Walmart, AT&T or Verizon ?

Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score

Samsung Galaxy S2 from Walmart, AT&T or Verizon ?

I am looking at the Samsung Galaxy S2 for Straight Talk from Walmart http://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-T...r-Kit/21798063. Is this an AT&T version or Verizon ? If its an AT&T version does it come with a sim card ? Model# is STSAS959GP4P UPC is 1113014312642

Thanks

Feedback Score
    It's AT&T. Verizon never had a version of the GS2. I'm not sure if it comes with the sim though.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    not nessesery att- the box on the front has gsm or gsm v or gsm a.

the ones i have seen at walmart has just gsm so it works with att or st side either one.if you have tmo in your area that what you might wind up on.

Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I can't check the front of the box because none of my local Walmart stores have them. I would have to order it online.
    I have both ATT and TMobile in my area.

Feedback Score
    the Samsung Galaxy S2 is on AT&T and has an AT&T only sim.

Feedback Score

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 from Walmart, AT&T or Verizon ?

My brother got that for Christmas on Net10. It comes with a sim card and works on at&t. Its physically identical to the GS2 i777, the first S2 to be carried by a US carrier, except for the tracphone logo at the top rather than at&t.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 I777 using HowardForums

Carriers
    MetroPCS (T-Mobile US)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

What's your carrier preference?

In my opinion, the Galaxy S2 t989 is a much better phone for less money. However, to get it working on AT&T, you'd have to get a SIM unlock.

The Galaxy S2 that Straight Talk sells will only do HSPA on AT&T, if I'm not mistaken.

I don't know how set you are on buying a GS2. You're really better off buying a Nexus 4 since it's about the same price and unlocked.
    nex·us [nek-suhs]
    noun, plural nex·us·es, nex·us.

Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cooter55 View Post
    not nessesery att- the box on the front has gsm or gsm v or gsm a.

the ones i have seen at walmart has just gsm so it works with att or st side either one.if you have tmo in your area that what you might wind up on.
    I found one in a walmart store and it had GSM on the bottom left corner of the box. So thats ATT right ?

Feedback Score

GSM-A is at&t.

Sent from my HTC One X using HowardForums

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vin View Post
    I found one in a walmart store and it had GSM on the bottom left corner of the box. So thats ATT right ?
    not exactly.gsm means either att or tmo or a hybrid of both.if it reads gsm-a then it is att specific.if it reads gsm-t then it is tmo specific.
    hope this helps

Feedback Score

The t989 is not necessarily a better phone. It has approximately 6% more screen real estate but there is a different processor (also used in the gs2 skyrocket) that while clocked higher than the original exynos processor, has been found but users to not perform as well. It is usable with t-mos high speed and at&ts H+ if I'm not mistaken, and as you mentioned, it needs to be unlocked.

With T-Mobiles refarming their stuff, phones like the i777 and the ST equivalent should be usable on their 3.5G too.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 I777 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    I have used this phone. IMO, the T989 is better - larger screen, bigger battery and comes out of the box with ICS 4.0. there are instructions for a free unlock over at xda.

but both of those are the same price as nexus 4 8gb which is already unlocked. 16gb for $50 more. worth considering since you can still order the sim cards from walmart.com.

Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Purchased the S2 from walmart (for a friend). Ported her number and within 2 hours it was up on the att network. Thanks everyone for your help.

Feedback Score
    Does anyone know if the ST branded version of the Galaxy S2 is locked to use only ST (ATT) sims only (no sims from other ATT based providers).
    Last edited by bamx2; 02-07-2013 at 04:49 PM.

Feedback Score

Samsung Galaxy S2 from Walmart, AT&T or Verizon ?

Yes, it is and even more it is locked to only use AT&T sims that have the same APN setting as the sim that comes with the phone.
    I bought one last week, super sweet phone, and tried to change the APNs on it so I could use my old Nokia SIM card in it.
    The APNs on the S2 are locked, when I tried APN backup and restore on the phone it gave me no option for making a new APN. I could back up the current one but that was as far as it would go.
    There may be another app out there that will get past this, and I would love to know if there is.

ST to IPhone http://howardforums.com/bYd8e
    ST to Android http://howardforums.com/Xael3
    ST to Windows Phone http://howardforums.com/MMuZH
    Tracfone CS at 800-876-5753 or 800-626-4883
    Phone Number for Google Customer Service. 18558363987

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast