Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Use phone on mobile hotspot plan instead of MiFi

Phones
    bb tour
    ve20(old) lg rythm(old)
    glimmer/ax8600/wave/e815/nokia 6255i(bit the dust)
    Carrier
    alltel/ATN
    Feedback Score

Use phone on mobile hotspot plan instead of MiFi

I would like to test out tmobiles prepaid mobile hotspot at my home. My friend has an old mytouch 3g he is willing to let me use so I'm wondering if I can pay for the hotspot plan only but put the sim in the phone and use the built in hotspot feature on it? Already have a sim on the way but would like to have my ducks in a row as far as what device I need to use before I pay for service.

Sent from my XT862 using HowardForums
    what is this new feature, and how can I manipulate it in order to make myself seem superior to those around me?

Carrier
    Tmobile Pay As You Go
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by every1nosme View Post
    My friend has an old mytouch 3g he is willing to let me use so I'm wondering if I can pay for the hotspot plan only but put the sim in the phone and use the built in hotspot feature on it?
    Just try the phone hotspot in daily plan for 3 bucks. Remember that your max speed may be capped since you have an older phone.

Phones
    bb tour
    ve20(old) lg rythm(old)
    Carrier
    alltel/ATN
    Feedback Score

Re: Use phone on mobile hotspot plan instead of mifi

Quote Originally Posted by Chop-Chop View Post
    Just try the phone hotspot in daily plan for 3 bucks. Remember that your max speed may be capped since you have an older phone.
    Thanks, ,ight give that a try. After doing a little research I see that the mytouch 3g might not be the best phone to use anyways. Not really worried about speed so much as there doesn't seem to be a native wifi hotspot app for it.

Phone
    Android
    Carriers
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score

I don't believe that phone has tethering restrictions like the newer T-Mobile phones....at least it didn't when I had one, but it only works up to 7m/sec so tethering will be slower compared to newer devices

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I use the myTouch 3G as a hotspot. Here are some things I have learned through personal experience.

FoxFi does not work on this phone, so it must be rooted to use WiFi tethering. I use an app called WiFi Tether for Root Users. The hardware doesn't support infrastructure mode, only ad-hoc. Some devices can't see ad-hoc networks. My computer, Droid 3 and Xbox 360 were able to see it, but a tablet I used to have could not.

You can use this guide to root the phone:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=10824837

The best way to root it is with a USB cable. This phone is picky about USB cables, so use the original cable if you can. Mine will charge off the PC USB port using a generic mini USB, but Windows will not detect it. There IS a way to root without connecting it to a computer, but I would not recommend it because it involves reverting to Android 1.5 and mucking about with firmware and radio updates. I did it that way because I didn't have the original cable and it was a total PITA.

I'm in a very strong signal area, and I get anywhere from 2.5 to 4 Mbps.

Name:  2013-02-01 21.13.34.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  1.42 MBName:  2013-02-01 21.14.18.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  1.26 MB

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks Hesster for that great post! I've got a T-Mobile MyTouch 3G coming today via Ebay and will probably be rooting and getting WiFi Tether For Root Users installed this evening. Hopefully the phone isn't as rough as it looks in the Ebay pictures. Only paid $20 for it.

What Android OS version are you running on yours... or are you running 3rd party roms? I've read Cyanogenmod stopped supporting the MyTouch 3G after version 6, so I'm not sure where I'm headed with mine right now.
    Joplin T-Mobile

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I am running a ROM called Gingerbreak on it. I couldn't use ROM Manager because I couldn't get ClockworkMod installed due to the fact the trackball on this particular phone won't scroll down. I had to use an older recovery program that allowed me to use the volume buttons to make selections. I'm not sure if just running tethering requires a custom ROM. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably just stick with the stock Froyo ROM since all it does is sit at my house and provide WiFi when I SIM swap.

If you do get into installing a custom ROM, there are a couple of things you need to be aware of. There are two hardware versions of this device with different firmware. You can tell them apart by going into fastboot and checking the radio version to see whether it's 32A or 32B. Most of the newer version have a 3.5 mm headset jack, but not all. ROM Manager ROMs for the myTouch have the radio files removed to avoid this issue, so you install them as a separate file from within the recovery screen. MAKE SURE YOU INSTALL THE CORRECT UPDATE FILE OR YOU WILL BRICK THE PHONE. If you install a ROM manually, you MUST make sure the ROM is compatible with your hardware version, or it may try to install the wrong radio update and you will have a paperweight.

The phone sometimes reboots if I try to open a program right after turning it on, but I'm not sure if it's the result of an unstable ROM, a bug in the old recovery program or the fact that the phone has water damage. I just let it sit for a minute or two once everything is loaded and it's stable until I reboot or turn it off. I've had the hotspot running for days at a time with no problems, so I haven't bothered to troubleshoot further.
    Last edited by Hesster; 02-09-2013 at 02:40 PM.

Phones
    bb tour
    ve20(old) lg rythm(old)
    Carrier
    alltel/ATN
    Feedback Score

Thanks for all the good info. The one I have has the 3.5mm headphone jack but is still running android 1.5 I think. The phone was barely used cuz he got but went back to the blackberry he had at the time and threw it in a drawer and forgot about it till recently. I will have to get to work on it with the link from up above and see if I can get this thing running as a wifi hotspot. I don't really care much about the phone but I don't want to invest in buying a hotspot till I know if this is something we will really use or not.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Glad I could help. Made a mistake on the ROM name, though. It's running CronMod 1.0.6. There is an update to 1.0.7, but I haven't done it because the phone works for what I need and why fix what isn't broken?

There's a surprising amount of activity for the myTouch 3G considering its age. Some crazy dev even got ICS working, though some functions aren't supported. Lots of ROM selections here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=493

Carrier
    Tmobile Pay As You Go
    Feedback Score
    As an alternative if you can't get the mytouch to work, the Comet provided tethering out of the box when we got it.
    Phone is small and compact and makes a great hotspot device.

Feedback Score
    Perhaps I misunderstood the original question, but if so excuse me. If you want to use a sim that is activated for a data only device (ie MIFI device, Jet, Rocket, etc) and use it in a cell phone, I dont believe it will work. I have a T-mobile Rocket USB stick that I use for data on my laptop. If I put the sim in my Galaxy SII, it will not work for data or anything else. With it's normal "monthly 4g" plan sim the SII will do tethering. I think T-mobile blocks data device sims when in phones.

Phones
    bb tour
    ve20(old) lg rythm(old)
    Carrier
    alltel/ATN
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by drooper View Post
    Perhaps I misunderstood the original question, but if so excuse me. If you want to use a sim that is activated for a data only device (ie MIFI device, Jet, Rocket, etc) and use it in a cell phone, I dont believe it will work. I have a T-mobile Rocket USB stick that I use for data on my laptop. If I put the sim in my Galaxy SII, it will not work for data or anything else. With it's normal "monthly 4g" plan sim the SII will do tethering. I think T-mobile blocks data device sims when in phones.
    This is exactly what I will be attempting to do. The csr when I ordered the sim told me this was possible but I usually take what they say with a grain of salt until I either try it or come to hofo and find out from knowledgeable users here. If it wont work this way I'm not really that upset as the sim was only$.99 and I can buy a jetpack for around $20 but I was trying to keep my cost down until I was sure if this is what I wanted to use or not and the mytouch 3g I have was pretty much given to me. I guess my next move then should be to see if anyone would like to trade a jetpack or mifi for a mytouch 3g in 9.5 out of 10 condition. That may be easier then trying to make the phone do what I want anyways since I have no use for it as an actual phone.

Phone
    ZTE, LG
    Carrier
    America Movil, Verizon
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by every1nosme View Post
    Thanks, ,ight give that a try. After doing a little research I see that the mytouch 3g might not be the best phone to use anyways. Not really worried about speed so much as there doesn't seem to be a native wifi hotspot app for it.

There is an Android app. Look for T-Mobile Hotspot Connect.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using HowardForums
    America Movil/Straight Talk/TracFone customer since 2004.
    verizon customer since 2012.
    T-Mobile customer from 2005-2014.

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
    There's a surprising amount of activity for the myTouch 3G considering its age. Some crazy dev even got ICS working, though some functions aren't supported. Lots of ROM selections here:
    Got the Ebay $20 MyTouch 3G a few days ago. Works great and is nicer than I thought it would be. It has definitely been an "experience" getting this thing rooted and installing a custom recovery. Every other phone I've did has been a piece of cake compared to this one. Most of the file links for it on XDA are outdated and no longer work. The 32A, 32B, and SPL differences are really confusing. Thought I had the thing bricked for awhile... but found the stock T-Mobile ROM as a RUU executable and painlessly brought it back to life.

Seriously doubt I'll run a custom ROM on it. All I really wanted to do was root it and get Wifi For Root Users and Barnacle working.

Carriers
    AT&T Go Phone
    Feedback Score

Joplin T-Mobile
    If you don't get it to work there is always PdaNet thru the USB. I used it for couple of years with theMyTouch 3g.

They do charge for the app to view the https sites and of course it defeats the whole wireless hotspot thing but thought I'd mention it to you just I case.

In fact just tonite I used it on my Samsung Exhibit ll since it's unrooted and hotspot won't work on it unless I pay the additional $15 fee.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast