Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Data Roaming in the US.... 50MB $7.99 starting in spring

Carriers
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cloneman View Post
    What happens when these packs expire or are depleted? Do you drop to PPU or service interrupted until you get a new pack?
    Another $7.99 is charged for another 50MB.

Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by clarken555 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by some-gei View Post
    Good lord is this a joke - read their press release about "revolutionizing" data roaming. What a croc.

On T-Mobile I pay $2 for unlimited EDGE or $3 for unlimited 3G+ data for a whole day.

If it was $8 for a day of unlimited data that would be EXPENSIVE.
    If it was $8 for an hour of unlimited data that would be RIDICULOUSLY EXPENSIVE.
    But $8 for 50MB? That's just a joke. How can they not be embarrassed to even release this blatant gouging as a press release... "good news customers - in reaction to our previously insane roaming rates, we will now be gouging you a tiny bit less!"
    Until I can unlock my iPhone 5, I can't take advantage of any of the cheap options so this is a reasonable back up option when wifi is not available.
    The situation you are in (not being able to unlock) is the only reason anyone should ever pay roaming rates IMO.

Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by surfkitty View Post
    Those of you who cross from BC to Bellingham/Seattle frequently, what's the tmobile coverage like? Is it usable 3G yet? This would be a great option for me and give me the ability to ditch my obsolete US/Canada data plan. Otherwise, will we have to call them very time we want to add the daily roaming plan? That seems like a huge pain, if so.
    I didn't test as far as Seattle but TMO's 1900 mHz 3G in Bellingham is very solid. It is also available in many areas now. I have been in the states for the last three days and have paid $9 on TMO and have used just under 500 MB of blazing fast data. So for whatever reason, press releases like this Rogers one just don't excite me.

Just grab a Gophone or a Straight Talk sim, or a TMO one if you're in one of their amazing refarmed areas or have an AWS phone. Forward your calls and even with the LD Rogers charges, you can forget exorbatant roaming rates.

Phones
    Carriers
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DataDude View Post
    I didn't test as far as Seattle but TMO's 1900 mHz 3G in Bellingham is very solid. It is also available in many areas now. I have been in the states for the last three days and have paid $9 on TMO and have used just under 500 MB of blazing fast data. So for whatever reason, press releases like this Rogers one just don't excite me.

Just grab a Gophone or a Straight Talk sim, or a TMO one if you're in one of their amazing refarmed areas or have an AWS phone. Forward your calls and even with the LD Rogers charges, you can forget exorbatant roaming rates.
    This is great news, thank you!!! As soon as I'm able to unlock (beginning of April) I will just go ahead and go with t-mobile. Did you have to input the data settings manually or was the phone able to recognize the tmobile SIM card/settings?
    I am the Doctor...and this is my spoon.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DataDude View Post
    The situation you are in (not being able to unlock) is the only reason anyone should ever pay roaming rates IMO.
    Even that's not a good reason to be honest. A few minutes of roaming with data at even 3G speeds would be enough to buy you a brand new unlocked iphone 5.

A few hours or (heaven forbid) days would be enough to buy you a new car.

Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Even that's not a good reason to be honest. A few minutes of roaming with data at even 3G speeds would be enough to buy you a brand new unlocked iphone 5.

A few hours or (heaven forbid) days would be enough to buy you a new car.
    Agreed. I'm thinking of the situation where maybe you want to send/receive a couple quick Emails
    across the line. But yes, Rogers' explanation of how wonderful 50 MB is is just BS. 50 MB can evaporate just from background services.

Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by surfkitty View Post
    This is great news, thank you!!! As soon as I'm able to unlock (beginning of April) I will just go ahead and go with t-mobile. Did you have to input the data settings manually or was the phone able to recognize the tmobile SIM card/settings?
    On my iPhone, data worked right away although I'd recommend inputting the APN settings to ensure that all services will work correctly.

Carrier
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    I'll stay with getting a $2-3 per day pre-paid sim, and get unlimited everything, thanks. This is not value at all.

Phone
    iPhone 5C/ iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CGY Guy View Post
    I'll stay with getting a $2-3 per day pre-paid sim, and get unlimited everything, thanks. This is not value at all.
    While I agree with you and I use T-Mobile with my unlocked iPhone, a lot of people don't want t go through the hassle of unlocking their phone, buying a SIM, etc if they only need data for a couple of days. This is a better option for some. Definitely not for everyone.

Carrier
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Then, the sheep will pay. And, complain. Neither of those is a hassle, and is so simple to do.

Ah well.

Phone
    Nexus 5, Moto X
    Carrier
    Bell, Fido
    Feedback Score
    Buy unlocked phone, have SIM mailed to home or office.......save

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Factory unlocked Iphone4
    Nokia E71
    Carriers
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I still think for a short trip, although still expensive, this is a great alternative. If I go out on a 3day trips for my tournaments..........i wudn't want to keep changing my numbers. This way anyone who wants to get in touch with me, can do so by calling me or just texting my normal number. Again, in my case, I just find it more convenient.

I just hope now they do something about voice, I wud love to have a cheaper rate..............

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    - Swapping SIM cards takes about 30 seconds.
    - Setting Rogers Extreme Text Messaging to forward my texts to my email address takes 10 seconds.
    - Setting Rogers One Number to forward my number to my US # takes about 10 seconds.

We're talking about a minute of work for saving potentially thousands of dollars. There's no "changing numbers" here - I get all my texts and calls just fine. Not to mention whatsapp and imessage working as usual over data anyway (which is where 99% of my conversations take place).

Forget a 3 day trip - I would do the above for a 3 hour trip to the US.

For a little more than the price of a ONE MINUTE roaming phone call with Rogers, I can get UNLIMITED voice and data for the ENTIRE DAY.

How you can call this pathetic offering a great alternative boggles my mind. This is NOT a great alternative - it is a HORRIBLE alternative.

Carriers
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

Re: Data Roaming in the US.... 50MB $7.99 starting in spring

Quote Originally Posted by theplayground View Post
    I still think for a short trip, although still expensive, this is a great alternative. If I go out on a 3day trips for my tournaments..........i wudn't want to keep changing my numbers. This way anyone who wants to get in touch with me, can do so by calling me or just texting my normal number. Again, in my case, I just find it more convenient.

I just hope now they do something about voice, I wud love to have a cheaper rate..............
    I use voip.ms for voice roaming as well as for outbound calls outside Canada. Works over data or wifi and is super cheap.

Sent from my SGH-I317M

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Factory unlocked Iphone4
    Nokia E71
    Carriers
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Data Roaming in the US.... 50MB $7.99 starting in spring

- Swapping SIM cards takes about 30 seconds.
    - Setting Rogers Extreme Text Messaging to forward my texts to my email address takes 10 seconds.
    - Setting Rogers One Number to forward my number to my US # takes about 10 seconds.

We're talking about a minute of work for saving potentially thousands of dollars. There's no "changing numbers" here - I get all my texts and calls just fine. Not to mention whatsapp and imessage working as usual over data anyway (which is where 99% of my conversations take place).

Forget a 3 day trip - I would do the above for a 3 hour trip to the US.

For a little more than the price of a ONE MINUTE roaming phone call with Rogers, I can get UNLIMITED voice and data for the ENTIRE DAY.

How you can call this pathetic offering a great alternative boggles my mind. This is NOT a great alternative - it is a HORRIBLE alternative.
    I definately did not mean to offend u......

Maybe i just need to try these alternatives for once....lol...and then i can hope to definately be free...

Thanks...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast