Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Straight Talk At&t service on A Cruise and the Bahamas

Carrier
    verizon
    Feedback Score

Straight Talk At&t service on A Cruise and the Bahamas

Ill be on the carnival tetanus next month.
    Running too many phones

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The Carnival Cruise Lines ship Triumph tied up in Mobile, AL broke free from its moorings last week. It drifted downriver and crashed into a cargo vessel. A large gash was opened in the side of the Triumph.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3008967.html
    Earl F. Parrish

Phone
    SM-N900A GoPhone Walmart Special, Samsung SGH-I337 GoPhone Walmart Special
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    The Carnival Cruise Lines ship Triumph tied up in Mobile, AL broke free from its moorings last week. It drifted downriver and crashed into a cargo vessel. A large gash was opened in the side of the Triumph.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3008967.html
    that's why I advised the op to verify he/she is on Carnival Ecstasy otherwise it be moored in Mobile, Alabama. it was all over the newscast n hope they will find the one other person got thrown into the water.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The person thrown into the water happens when a guard shack was blown off the dock in the same windstorm which broke the Triumph free. The winds were near hurricane force. The lost person was not a member of the Triumph crew who were still onboard the vessel when it crashed into the other ship.

Carrier
    Ting, Republic Wireless
    Feedback Score
    No silly! I called them!

As it turns out, the same kind of guy who writes the Prepaid FAQ, the Straight Talk FAQ, and who volunteers to be a moderator on Howard Forums also is interested enough in wireless communications to find the private phone #s for executives at MVNOs and to call them up and ask questions.

Quote Originally Posted by alphamale-b View Post
    so the vice presidents seek out your counsel now? they are on your speed dial in case you or they have a question or better yet a suggestion in how you think steering straight talk should go? is it because you became a mod here?

that is so awesome! i know at least one who must be very jealous.
    Last edited by Endeavor; 04-09-2013 at 08:23 AM.
    Questions?? Read the FAQs: The Prepaid FAQ . The Straight Talk FAQ
    Disagree with someone? Be Nice!
    Report posts that violate the rules by clicking the dark triangle at the bottom, left of the post.

I no longer see messages from these users (and won't respond to them):
    pfoneguy, rcentros.

Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Since we've become CruiseCritic.com now:

Quote Originally Posted by Andman433 View Post
    Sitting on the Carnival Ecstasy right now
    I was on that ship back in '97 ... Figuring there's been ~820 weeks between then and now @ an average of 2500 pax that means there's been something like 200K people on that ship since then!

(BTW, I've been on 4 cruises since then, Carnival and otherwise (which isn't saying much since Carnival owns most cruiselines in the US anyway) and would do it again tomorrow!)
    Samsung GT-N8000 on AT&T
    HTC First on Net10/AT&T

Feedback Score
    I'm sailing Sunday 4/14, for 15 days from Ft. Lauderdale to Rome. I'll be using iPhoneTrip service on the Celebrity Silhouette for the last 11 days of the cruise. I should have native AT&T service until we sail from San Juan, Puerto Rico. I think they even have LTE active there currently.

For info only, there are two services available on the majority of cruise ships that provide voice and data service. The most common is Cellular At Sea. If you have turned on roaming on your phone while at sea and looked at the carrier info, you've probably seen this scroll across the top of your screen. The other service is On Waves, and it seems to have identical service but is not available on as many ships. It is, however present on newer ships, and the manager of the on board Apple Store of one of Celebrity ships told me that they were using On Waves after having trouble with Cellular At Sea. The services provide internet connections for the crew, and that is a big deal for them, as they are away from home for up to 6 months at a time. The passengers have to pay high rates and suffer slow speeds, which is partially due to the heavy crew traffic during their leisure hours.

I'll try and log in and post updates during this trip, and give a summary of my experience in this thread during the next few weeks.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Re: Straight Talk At&t service on A Cruise and the Bahamas

Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    I'm sailing Sunday 4/14, for 15 days from Ft. Lauderdale to Rome. I'll be using iPhoneTrip service on the Celebrity Silhouette for the last 11 days of the cruise. I should have native AT&T service until we sail from San Juan, Puerto Rico. I think they even have LTE active there currently.

For info only, there are two services available on the majority of cruise ships that provide voice and data service. The most common is Cellular At Sea. If you have turned on roaming on your phone while at sea and looked at the carrier info, you've probably seen this scroll across the top of your screen. The other service is On Waves, and it seems to have identical service but is not available on as many ships. It is, however present on newer ships, and the manager of the on board Apple Store of one of Celebrity ships told me that they were using On Waves after having trouble with Cellular At Sea. The services provide internet connections for the crew, and that is a big deal for them, as they are away from home for up to 6 months at a time. The passengers have to pay high rates and suffer slow speeds, which is partially due to the heavy crew traffic during their leisure hours.

I'll try and log in and post updates during this trip, and give a summary of my experience in this thread during the next few weeks.
    Have a fun and safe trip!

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Well, I guess we can put this topic to rest now. Just got back from my Bahamas cruise aboard the Ecstasy. Had a Wonderful time but, Alas, 0 straight talk phone service. Even with International data Roaming turned on. Emergency call was active though so I could make a 911 call if I wanted to. But as far as regular phone service. Nada..

Sent from my PantechP9070 using HowardForums

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    It is not universal that calling "911" is the number for reaching emergency services. When you travel internationally, you should familiarize yourself with the procedures in the countries you visit. Onboard ships there should be internal communications for emergencies.

Sent from my GtabComb using HowardForums

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5