Thread: Question about transferring balance to another account

Phone
    Nexus 5, Nokia 301, Blu Tank
    Feedback Score

Question about transferring balance to another account

I know I can call customer service at Ptel, but thought someone might know the answer to this question. I have been using a ptel sim card on the Real Pay Go plan (which is excellent). I bought the sim to try out Ptel's service and would now like to port my T-Mobile prepaid number. I expect that I will need to buy a new sim card but was wondering whether I could transfer my unused balance ($18) to the new account?

Feedback Score
    Your expectations are incorrect. You will not need to buy a new SIM card or new account. This requires a call to customer service. I presume your $18 balance is with PTel, not T-Mobile prepaid.

Phones
    5s/Mega 6.3/nokia 521
    iphone 5s/JB
    Galaxy Note
    Carriers
    At&t
    tmo for tablet
    Feedback Score
    I have read different info. I was under the impression you need a brand new sim to port a number, and was told by a chat csr, balances are not transferable. However, also read a post by a ptel customer who did have his balance transferred. It was only $5, but he was pleased that the csr did it for him. I guess it depends on who you get.
    Never be afraid to try, but always know where your back up is when you screw up!

It doesn't cost anything to be nice and say thank-you.

Phone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kecel View Post
    Your expectations are incorrect. You will not need to buy a new SIM card or new account. This requires a call to customer service. I presume your $18 balance is with PTel, not T-Mobile prepaid.
    Your presumptions are correct. Balance is with PTel not T-Mobile. Thanks

Phone
    Feedback Score
    You are incorrect. I called customer service as you suggested and I will have to buy a new sim card to port my T-Mobile number.

Carrier
    PTEL - Unlimited Everything Plan
    Feedback Score

Re: Question about transferring balance to another account

Quote Originally Posted by sicfish View Post
    You are incorrect. I called customer service as you suggested and I will have to buy a new sim card to port my T-Mobile number.
    You are correct, a new number (or port in) requires a new SIM card. However your balance with another carrier cannot be carried over to PTEL.

Hope that's helps. And thanks for choosing PTEL!!

Sent from my Galaxy S III using HowardForums
    PTEL Mobile
    Sales Support Staff

Phones
    5s/Mega 6.3/nokia 521
    iphone 5s/JB
    Galaxy Note
    Carriers
    At&t
    tmo for tablet
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PTEL2 View Post
    You are correct, a new number (or port in) requires a new SIM card. However your balance with another carrier cannot be carried over to PTEL.

Hope that's helps. And thanks for choosing PTEL!!

Sent from my Galaxy S III using HowardForums
    I believe the question was if a ptel balance can be transferred over to a new ptel sim with a ported number, not another carrier's balance. This is being debated on several threads.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Guys,

I've been with PTel for awhile, both on CDMA and now on GSM. I received a free sim card when they posted here on Howard Forums last year. In January I called PTel customer service and transferred from CDMA to GSM and used the free sim card they sent. I had a $20 balance or so on my CDMA account. That transferred over to my GSM account. Haven't had any problems since.

Fort

Carrier
    PTel
    Feedback Score
    I bought the WOOT $40 deal a few weeks ago... a week after I started using my sim I learned I could port my old cell number that was still active. I had to buy a new Sim, but it so worked out I got another WOOT deal for that. About 6 hours after I faxed my porting papers to ptel I was sent a confirmation email that my new sim was ready to use. I then called CS to have my $34.60 (from old sim) sent over to my new sim with the $40. They asked if I needed the old sim #, I said no and tossed out the sim card.
    No problems with porting and transferring old sim balance.

Feedback Score
    Just confirming above post. I was in same boat. Got a sim and activated on $50 unlimited plan. I did not port my number then for some reasons. Anyway, 1 week down the line, after loving PTEL, i decided to port. Ordered a new SIM, put the port request and in the request mentioned my existing PTEL account and said I want that closed and transferred over to this. And that's exactly what they did. In fact I did not even have to call to do the transfer as I already gave instructions in the port form.