Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Straight Talk iPhone 5 Now Locked?

Carriers
    Straight Talk (ATT SIM)
    Feedback Score

Straight Talk iPhone 5 Now Locked?

Quote Originally Posted by spazzychicken View Post
    Very interesting info here. I'll have to check the exact model when I get home today.

To answer answer a few questions:

-I bought the ST version to have the most options. I want to use tmobile now on the$30plan, but I want the flexibility to use on verizon via ST later if I so choose.

-the tmobile sim works just fine in an unlocked 5 and my own post paid verizon iPhone 5,so it isn't the sim.

Seems like others have had no issue with gsm on these phones. I don't want to activate it on ST for now. Maybe I'll just return it to wm.

Any suggestions that I could try?
    Very unlikely but is the SIM card slot broken inside would be hard to test I would activate normal and try a lot of sims.

Phone
    iPhone 5 16GB
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Just for reference on this issue, my Verizon iPhone 5 was never activated with Verizon service, but was purchased using an upgrade discount on one of my family's lines. (That family member is still happily using their Verizon flip phone, so I got a huge discount. ) So technically my iPhone was never activated. I have used T-Mobile and Straight Talk AT&T SIMs in it successfully.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    thanks t6821hn , ill be getting mine today so we will see. I will report back.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    OK here is what I found out, I cut my sim down placed it into the phone.. phone said searching ......... no service came up. Plugged into I tunes and activated the phone that way instead of using I cloud, as soon as itunes did its thing.. Boom service appeared and it worked great. I'm not sure if you tried I tunes or not but that may be what the problem is

Feedback Score
    Ok, so the model I have from WalMart is MD097LL. From what I can get from google, this is the Cricket version?

Was there a switch done sometime to the supply? Is this what others have?

I even tried activating it on Straight talk, but it won't let me activate as the serial number on the phone is 14 digits and the website requires an 18 digit s/n. Sigh.....I don't want to call them.

Phones
    iPhone 5, Iridium 9555
    iPhone 5S 64GB Gold Verizon
    Iridium 9555
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Iridium
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by spazzychicken View Post
    Ok, so the model I have from WalMart is MD097LL. From what I can get from google, this is the Cricket version?

Was there a switch done sometime to the supply? Is this what others have?

I even tried activating it on Straight talk, but it won't let me activate as the serial number on the phone is 14 digits and the website requires an 18 digit s/n. Sigh.....I don't want to call them.
    You will need to exchange the phone. You need Part No. MD105LL/AA. I'm guessing a Cricket iPhone snuck in to Walmart's inventory somehow.

MD097LL is sim-locked.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by t6821hn View Post
    You will need to exchange the phone. You need Part No. MD105LL/AA. I'm guessing a Cricket iPhone snuck in to Walmart's inventory somehow.

MD097LL is sim-locked.
    Sim-lock is not tied to phone part number. ND097LL is supposedly a sprint iphone according to google. Sprint iphones are also sim locked. However, I have a verizon iphone 5 and it is that part number. I can confirm it is both working on verizon lte (my regular cell carrier), and unlocked as it worked on TMobile when I tested it.

I don't think part number really makes much difference as long as its the right model number.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Activating the iPhone is separate from activating the SIM card to use with a carrier. Any supported SIM card can be used in an unlocked iPhone to activate the telephone itself. An iPhone thus activated can be used as an iPod, eBook reader or other non-telephone functions built into the device.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman0222 View Post
    Oh crap are you serious ? I ordered one and I live in an area where there is no Verizon ...I was planning on just using my sim... I bet I can't activate it here Because there is have no service ... Will walmart let you return it if its not opened ... Will it re lock after the Verizon side runs out ?
    I think you have to activate the phone first.
    Walmart will take the phone back within 14 days, open or not. I bought 4 ST iPhones 5 from Walmart and returned all of them for various problems. Never a single question. I finally bought one 3 days ago that works perfect. It even upgraded to iOs 6.1 with no problem. Verizon is big around here in Ga, better even than AT&T. Love the phone.

Feedback Score
    Here is an update from what happened last night.

I tried activating the iPhone with ST, but could not get through the activation process online. The website kept telling me that the MEID/Serial number was incorrect or needed to be 18-digits (the iPhone is 14-digit).

So I called ST and explained what I had done. The rep asked for the number listed on the activation card, which I read to her. She was unable to find that number in ST's system. It is really strange. The MEID on the phone matches the MEID listed on the box, which matches the MEID listed on the ST "Activation Card" that was stuck to the outside of the iPhone box. She had no idea what happened, but the phone was definitely not in their system.

So now I have to take the phone back to WM. No problem, right? I live about 10 min away from a Walmart, so I hop in the car and head down there. I get to the store and walk up to the customer service desk, which is strangely dark and unoccupied. I find an employee who then tells me that even though the store is open, the customer service desk is only open until 10pm. It is 10:13pm. Frustrated with the whole phone/walmart/ST situation, I feel my blood begin to boil a bit, but then realize it isn't this employee's fault. So I thanked her and went home.

I have to return the phone today. Will update when it is done.

Carriers
    T-Mobile prepaid
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I bought my iPhone 5 at the actual walmart store, and they activated it there for me, porting over a ST number that was on the byop sim program. I ended up porting that # back over to a sim, and the deactivated phone still shows on my account, but I do notice the number (some kind of ID, not phone number) associated with the phone is NOT the same as the 14 digit activation ESN/MEID. I was able to use the 14 digit # to activate on page plus and that is the service it has right now. The phone model is MD105LL/A

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Ok, so after over 24hrs with the straight talk iphone 5, Im impressed. Just to recap - I live in an area with no Verizon coverage so I ordered mine online and had it shipped site to store, picked it up and got it home. I put my net10 ATT "cut down" sim in to the phone and did set up through itunes, phone was never activated with straight talk.. I then jailbroke the device and installed tether me to edit the APN's and all is well.. Internet and MMS all working great

Feedback Score
    After a fun night with Walmart customer service, I now know what happened.

I ordered the phone via the Walmart website, and picked it up later that day. When I picked it up, they never scanned the MEID to activate the phone. Hence why I could never activate it on ST. It all kinda clicked when the customer service agent scanned the phone to return it. The register asked for the serial number, so she scanned the serial number. Register gave an error. She tried a second time, this time scanning the MEID. The register then said "Deactivating Phone", then "Deactivation Failed". Duh, it was never activated by the system when it was purchased.

I exchanged the phone and they scanned it properly this time. I was able to activate it on ST and transfer a # from Tmobile.

New issue though, I can't get cellular data. I get the "could not activate cellular data network" error when wi-fi is off. Calling/txting works fine. Guess I'll open another thread.

Phones
    iPhone 5, Iridium 9555
    iPhone 5S 64GB Gold Verizon
    Iridium 9555
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Iridium
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Are you on 6.1 and carrier TFW14.0?

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by t6821hn View Post
    Are you on 6.1 and carrier TFW14.0?
    Currently on 6.0.2 and TFW 13.1.

Should that matter? Should I upgrade to 6.1? I was concerned that might make the problem worse.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast