Thread: Eastlink Wireless

Feedback Score

Eastlink Wireless

So I think everyone knows Eastlink is planning to launch their LTE network. Here's some deets! Since there's no sub-forum yet I'll post it here. Mods feel free to move it when the time comes.

See http://eastlink.ca/Wireless.aspx for more details (more to be announced very soon.)

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score

Re: Eastlink Wireless

Wait I'm confused. They say they're launching a 100% LTE network, but they're going to have a BB Bold and Curve, which have never ever been launched with LTE. The only way they can make those BBs work is if they're using some or all of their AWS for HSPA.

And if it were an all LTE network, they'd have to get custom firmwares for all their devices to support VoLTE.

So are they splitting their spectrum up for both LTE and HSPA? Or else what I the world is going on?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Feedback Score
    Its seems like its just AWS LTE so they must done something to the device mentioned to some how work with AWS LTE. Seems like they are the first to offer Sim Card based Voice over LTE in North America. (Non Sim Card based voice over LTE exists in the US on Metro PCS)

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jattdesi View Post
    Its seems like its just AWS LTE so they must done something to the device mentioned to some how work with AWS LTE. Seems like they are the first to offer Sim Card based Voice over LTE in North America. (Non Sim Card based voice over LTE exists in the US on Metro PCS)
    That's impossible. Some of the devices they have listed have never ever been released in a variant that supports LTE at all in the first place.

Their site is live now and some phones are tagged "4G", others "4G LTE". So they must be doing both LTE and HSPA.

Partner network data is only 25˘/MB. That's nice.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
    That's impossible. Some of the devices they have listed have never ever been released in a variant that supports LTE at all in the first place.

Their site is live now and some phones are tagged "4G", others "4G LTE". So they must be doing both LTE and HSPA.

Partner network data is only 25˘/MB. That's nice.
    Yeah dont see how they should be allowed to advertise as such. Very deceiving advertising.

Sent from my Note 2

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score

Saying the network is 100% 4G LTE is (on it's own) false advertising since it's not. The explanatory sentence saying they have 4G LTE on 100% of their coverage area makes it clear to me that they have LTE on all their network but may have other technologies running as well (clearly, hspa.) I think those 2 sentences in combination are not deceptive at all.

I think labelling the non-LTE phones as 4G phones is also false advertising, but any carrier with a 3g HSPA network seems to falsely call it 4G and the 3G HSPA devices 4G these days.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using HowardForums

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, it looks like "100%" means a commitment to LTE wherever there is HSPA (which is not a difficult commitment to make when you are starting from zero coverage and using the same frequency for both).

I'm quite sure that none of their LTE devices support VoLTE yet. Which means that all voice calls switch to UMTS.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, OnePlus One, Moto E 2nd gen.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Someone did some mapping of the area around Halifax.
    They seem to be mostly sharing towers with Bell/Telus by comparing them to TAFL. Likewise, their network is HSPA+ from the start. Not any LTE data, though...
    Last edited by zivan56; 03-15-2013 at 01:48 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jattdesi View Post
    This is incorrect. MetroPCS is an MVNO carrier which works off of T-Mobile. T-Mobile is a fully GSM network and requires SIM cards. When MetroPCS was its own company it still had SIM cards for all LTE enabled devices, although VoLTE was not offered. Since then T-Mobile has converted all of MetroPCS' old CDMA network to GSM.

Sent from my SM-G9350 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by teedawgg View Post
    This is incorrect. MetroPCS is an MVNO carrier which works off of T-Mobile. T-Mobile is a fully GSM network and requires SIM cards. When MetroPCS was its own company it still had SIM cards for all LTE enabled devices, although VoLTE was not offered. Since then T-Mobile has converted all of MetroPCS' old CDMA network to GSM.

I'm in the US so it might be different in Canada.

Here in the US MetroPCS is owned by T-Mobile. That makes MetroPCS a different branding of T-Mobile. True MVNO's are not owned by a carrier.
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a hypersensitive psychopathic dictator having complete power, obsessively suppressing criticism, regimenting industry & commerce. Emboldening racism & aggressive nationalism.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $255yr UTnT 3GB
    AirVoice (AT&T) $20mo UTnT 50MB
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp ext
    Tello (Sprint) $5 1+call/3mo=no exp x2

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by teedawgg View Post

Jatt wrote that about MetroPCS in February 2013 before the merger even closed. You're the one who bumped it 3 years later :P

IIRC they were already starting to transition but the CDMA network was still in place. And they did have VoLTE pre-GSM, in 2012:
    http://www.droid-life.com/2012/08/07...that-big-four/
    And it did involve SIM cards.

As for MVNO or not - in terms of corporate structure it's not really an MVNO, but the network is probably configured like an MVNO.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
    ....in terms of corporate structure it's not really an MVNO, but the network is probably configured like an MVNO.
    Very well put. That's what I was trying to say.