Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Straight Talk iPhone/ATT sim data/text not working

Feedback Score

Straight Talk iPhone/ATT sim data/text not working

For over a week now I have tried to get the Data, msg/texts to work on my unlocked jailbroken iPhone 3gs. Numerous hours spent on forums, facebook and phone with Straight Talk and they came to the conclusion the tower in my zip code was down. LOL. I am able to text/msg to other iPhone users only. I cannot text my fiancee because he has an android phone. I can get on WiFi to use Safari/Google, but never with Data. Has anyone figured this out?

Feedback Score

Did you try editing your APN settings and changing to this?

Settings (using the DNS name)
    Cellular Data
    APN: att.mvno
    Username:
    Password:
    MMS
    Username:
    Password:
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS Proxy: mms2.tracfone.com:80
    MMS Max Size: 1048576
    MMS UA Prof URL: http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf

There was an APN update on 2/11 and the same thing you describe happened to me with my 4s/AT&T locked running ST AT&T sims. I updated to the above APN settings and was back in business. Good luck!

Feedback Score
    Hey guys

I have an iPhone that I got factory unlocked. It was originally used with AT&T. I bought a t-mobile compatible SIM card from the straight talk website. I have been trying to get it to work all day but it won't work. I've tried multiple APN settings. And the SIM swap method using an inactive Simple Mobile SIM.

I am now realizing that this might be because I needed to have purchased an AT&T compatible SIM from straight talk. But when I went to order one off the website I only saw the T-mobile ones. So I bought the Tmobile thinking it would work.

If I were to use an AT&T sim card would it work?

Or is there anyway to get my factory unlocked iPhone to work with the T-Mobile compatible ST Sim card. I would rather not have to pay for another sim card if i don't have to.

As of right now my APN settings are as TeeRH suggested.

I can connect to wifi and through that use iMessage and other applications, however my phone reads "No Service" on the upper left where it should show the network name and bars.

Any information helps, thanks.

Feedback Score
    All the APN settings were the same as TeeRH posted. I tried my data without wi-fi and it's WORKING. So the Straight Talk customer service gal was correct in saying the tower in my zip code was down and that it should be up and running this morning. Thanks.

Feedback Score

99iPhoneproblem, the AT&T sims are not available through the ST website at this time, but may be again in the future according to their reps. In the meantime, I believe they can be purchased via Walmart online.

Not sure on the T-Mobile sim thing since I don't have an unlocked phone. Assuming T-Mobile has good coverage in you area, I don't see why not. Maybe someone else can give some input there.

Feedback Score

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by 99iPhoneproblem View Post
    Or is there anyway to get my factory unlocked iPhone to work with the T-Mobile compatible ST Sim card. I would rather not have to pay for another sim card if i don't have to.
    99iPhoneproblem: Sorry but there is no way to make a T-Mobile SIM card work in an AT&T compatible iPhone. I totally feel your pain because I made the same mistake! You go to the Straight Talk website to buy a SIM card, and it asks:

Please choose the type of phone you have:
    [] Phone is a CDMA (i.e. Verizon, Sprint, Metro PCS), TracFone, SafeLink, NET10, BlackBerry
    [] Unlocked GSM Phone (Phone must operate in 850 and 1900 MHz bands)
    [] T-Mobile Compatible Phone

So what are most AT&T users going to do? They're going to select "Unlocked GSM Phone" and buy whatever SIM card Activation Kit the website shows them after that point!

For me, I had them port my number over, expecting them to just switch me over like any other provider. But after 3 DAYS of being without cell phone service, and many landline calls to Straight Talk Customer Service, eventually I was told the reason my iPhone 3GS kept showing "SEARCHING" and "NO SERVICE" was because the SIM card they sent me was T-Mobile compatible. After all that hassle, did they offer to replace it? Nope. I would have gone back to AT&T right then and there except that I had already sunk $60 trying to switch over to Straight Talk! Conveniently, SIM cards (which cost $14.95/ea) and service cards (which cost $45/ea) CANNOT be returned. So basically, getting your phone activated on Straight Talk is a total crap shoot - if it doesn't work and you go back to your old cellular provider, then they can keep your money. Unbelievable.

Your Solution if you want to switch your unlocked iPhone over to Straight Talk, is to do what I did and go to Walmart.com and order a "Straight Talk AT&T compatible SIM card", which will work in an iPhone 3G/S. (Be sure not to accidentally get a "micro SIM card" as those are only for the iPhone 4/4S, including the iPhone 5 with some modifications.) You can even pay $15 to get expedited 3-day shipping. When the AT&T compatible SIM card arrives in the mail, you just activate it and then configure your iPhone's APN settings. If you've never jailbroken your iPhone, ironically you can can use your old T-Mobile SIM card to help configure your iPhone's APN settings. (I would post where to find all these instructions, however, as I'm a new user, this forum won't allow me to post links.)

UPDATE: In my case, it's now going on a full 7 DAYS without cellular service, trying to get my iPhone 3GS switched over to Straight Talk. I've called Customer Service many times, used all the APN settings that I could find, rebooted a ridiculous number of times, tried using Safari to install a profile from iapnupdate.straighttalk.com, jailbroke my iPhone to get EditAPN from Cydia, bought TetherMe, etc. etc. Nothing has worked. I personally know people who were successful in getting their iPhones to work on Straight Talk from day 1, so I don't know. I'm at my wits end. If by tomorrow evening Straight Talk doesn't get this fixed, I will have no choice but to consider returning to AT&T and pay their obscene $86/month lowest rate plan. The salt in the wound will be losing almost $95 now trying to get switched over to Straight Talk, and not even being able to connect to their service once!

Chris

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Go to Unlockit.co.nz on Safari and download a profile (delete their other profiles ... Try the At&T Mnvo profile & if that doesn't work try the Straight talk profile )

Carrier
    AT&T Gophone
    Feedback Score

You can use a AT&T iPhone on tmobile. It needs to be unlocked though. It doesn't need to be unlocked to use any SIM card that runs off of Atts network

Phones
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 4S (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Of course you can use the T-Mobile SIM in your iPhone. Provided it is unlocked. You'll be stuck with 2G data (EDGE) unless you are lucky to live in an area where T has refarmed HSPA+ on 1900MHz. These are far and few between thus far. Hence why most go for the AT&T SIM...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cell_Phone33 View Post
    Go to Unlockit.co.nz on Safari and download a profile (delete their other profiles ... Try the At&T Mnvo profile & if that doesn't work try the Straight talk profile )
    I have tried using each listed profile (relevant to my situation) but those don't work either. Besides, this method only sets the APN to a value that I've already tried manually using EditAPN or TetherMe:

APN: wap.tracfone
    APN: wap.cingular

This is why I think the problem is on Straight Talk's end. No company is going to run TV advertisements telling people they can use their existing phone... when it's this difficult to get connected. And keep people's money if it doesn't work? That's a class action lawsuit waiting to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mephisto Zap View Post
    You can use a AT&T iPhone on tmobile. It needs to be unlocked though. It doesn't need to be unlocked to use any SIM card that runs off of Atts network
    I assume you mean using a "Straight Talk T-Mobile compatible SIM" card in an unlocked AT&T iPhone. I was told by Customer Service that I would just have to get an AT&T compatible SIM for this to work. I was also told that using a "Straight Talk AT&T compatible SIM" even on an iPhone that is locked to AT&T will also work given that Straight Talk uses AT&T's towers. Well, I have both types of SIMs and neither works. So far I can tell you that I don't "feel richer". After losing $95 I'm actually feeling much poorer and very frustrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pabster View Post
    Of course you can use the T-Mobile SIM in your iPhone. Provided it is unlocked. You'll be stuck with 2G data (EDGE) unless you are lucky to live in an area where T has refarmed HSPA+ on 1900MHz. These are far and few between thus far. Hence why most go for the AT&T SIM...
    Two different Straight Talk Customer Support reps confirmed that a T-Mobile compatible SIM card won't work in an iPhone 3G/GS that was previously on AT&T. Perhaps that's not true after all, but I really don't care. As far as I'm concerned, I have a "Straight Talk T-Mobile compatible SIM" and a "Straight Talk AT&T compatible SIM" and neither get me any signal bars in the large metropolitan area where I live. So now I'm going to call Straight Talk Customer Service again, and perhaps I can get a supervisor or manager on the phone. After 7 days without a cell phone, this has gone long enough.

Chris

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=STChris;15065003][B]99iPhoneproblem:...You go to the Straight Talk website to buy a SIM card, and it asks:

Please choose the type of phone you have:
    [] Phone is a CDMA (i.e. Verizon, Sprint, Metro PCS), TracFone, SafeLink, NET10, BlackBerry
    [] Unlocked GSM Phone (Phone must operate in 850 and 1900 MHz bands)
    [] T-Mobile Compatible Phone

So what are most AT&T users going to do? They're going to select "Unlocked GSM Phone" and buy whatever SIM card Activation Kit the website shows them after that point!

..., eventually I was told the reason my iPhone 3GS kept showing "SEARCHING" and "NO SERVICE" was because the SIM card they sent me was T-Mobile compatible. After all that hassle, did they offer to replace it? Nope.

This is EXACTLY what happened to me! I got you beat though as far as service; FIVE WEEKS W/OUT SERVICE! It was a weekly ritual on Fridays to call StraightTalk, at corporate HQ, the customer service # and try to resolve this. I stopped 2 weeks ago after this rude rep argued with me about ME ordering the wrong SIM card when in fact ST sent me the wrong SIM card. And the SIM card isn't labeled TMobile or AT&T, so you don't know the difference when you open it whether it's the right card or not (in this case NOT!). The kicker was when she said they don't have AT&T iPhone 3GS SIM cards!! She suggested i go to Walmart.com and BUY ONE THERE! OUTRAGEOUS!

I contacted an attorney. Apparently there is at least one pending class-action lawsuit against TracFone/StraightTalk. I am incredibly poor, hence me wanting to switch from AT&T to StraightTalk. What a bloody nightmare! I threw away $60 trying to port my number. I hope that I still can after all this time has passed. If I could afford it, I would just buy another phone on Virgin Mobile. I switched my daughter's line to Virgin, bcuz she needed a new phone anyway. The phone and service has been fantastic, perfect and inexpensive, especially for a teen.

So I guess the only other no-contract choice for iPhone 3GS is TMobile?

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    this is where a little research would have saved you some trouble.if att is you wish there is sellers on ebay that sells st/att sims but at a premium price or buy an st/nokia e71.the sim in them are not locked to the phones and you can swap it into a iphone 3gs without trimming it.

st hasnt been selling att sims for quite some time.they only offer the tmo simm at this time.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    It is kind of late now but SMS does not require setting of an APN to work. Data and MMS require setting the proper configuration.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    all you people on Iphones spending a million hours trying to edit your APN settings to send silly MMS pictures...Download the Unlockit profile....and Just tell the person u r sending pics too to Download Tango, Kik messenger, Whats App, Viber, Etc.. and U will be able to send pics as much as u want.. & text as well from these apps... save yourselves the headache

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    It is kind of late now but SMS does not require setting of an APN to work. Data and MMS require setting the proper configuration.
    yes this is true.if the op got a tmo sim and put att data setting in it then it wont work.i think this is what happened and the op might not have had great tmo coverage in op's area on top of everything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast